• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

@doctor conan shinyes in gen2 does not have better stats compared to other Pokemon.

Hoenn is my favorite region, followed by Johto.

Gen III had the BEST contests, the BEST secret bases, and the cities were beautiful! It was really the hallmark of my Pokemon childhood. ;)

Personally, I can't stand the Sinnoh region at all. It was ugly, and I wouldn't be able to stomach Gen IV at all if not for HG/SS.

I keep trying to think to myself, "Why do I hate Gen III?" Then I realize that I mostly hate Hoenn, as I enjoyed going back to Kanto and exploring Orre, seeing as how I can go back and play Fire Red/Leaf Green, Colosseum and Gale of Darkness games without any trouble. But whenever I revisit Hoenn in Ruby and/or Sapphire, I can't just get into it. Emerald is the only version I like out of the Hoenn trinity, and can go back and play that without any problems. That and I was most likely getting burned out by Pokemon as well at the time, as I was thinking about dropping playing the games if they weren't great, and I semi-abandoned the anime after a certain point in Johto, came back during AG, and then dropped off the anime when other things in my life became important.

As for why I hated Hoenn itself, for some reason, I found the land to be quite lacking and boring without a history. Then there was Team Aqua/Magma, which my stance is that their whole MOAR LAND/WATER style disappointed me. I mean, I liked how they replaced Team Rocket in the games, since Rocket was basically a joke back in Johto, even I grasped that as a kid. But Aqua and Magma I hated.

Personally, Pokemon design for me are quite good. Though I've never been a guy that says outright that "Game Freak is running outta ideas." I do like the variety they offered, and how they were more abundant.

Really, I'm trying to think things out for my next blog post on my personal blog and all, and this thread is actually a great resource to see why Gen III was hated and such. Because of a thread like this, I learned about how people were disappointed in how you couldn't get "Ace" or "Cuddles" from your Gen II games into your Gen III games. I actually like the fact that Gen III was separate from them, I think my only concern back then was "How am I supposed to complete the Pokedex now?" then Colosseum came out and gave me hope that all of my old buddies could be caught again.

Hey, someone bumped my very old thread. How nice.

6. I didn't like the music as much. Sure, fine, it's an improvement from 8bit to whatever; I just didn't like the actual pieces.

5.Here's one I've heard: Bad Music. (I like RSE music and I don't see anything bad in it.)

I have never ever understood this one. Maybe people don't like the style in which the music was created, but the melodies are very good. Thank god there are only a handfull of people who hate gen III music (but of course, there will always be haters).

As far as music goes, personally I really liked the Regi trio and Deoxys battle music... in addition to their movie/anime renditions.

I feel Gen III had the best music. The Poke-Mart theme, Route 121, Weather Trio battle theme and most importantly, Deoxys Battle theme.

Where as there were a couple things i didnt like in the Hoenn games, the region overall was very good. If you think about it, in Hoenn the cities are much farther apart, there are more physical obsacales (such as mountains, and water routes), this makes going to the next city to tackle the next gym a real adventure. The cities are relitivly close in Kanto (with 4 major cities with gyms being very close to each other)and Jotho is more spread out than Kanto but really doesnt have much for major cites. I have never played the DPPt games so i wont mention shinnoh. Gen III was pretty good IMO, with the only real set back being that FR/LG was easier than the orignal games.

I loved generation 3, especially the secret bases! Introducing double battles was also a strong point, as well as the 'Legendary trio mascots'. It seems to me to have even broken more new ground than generation 4.

Oh look, it's this thread again. Gen 3 was the worst generation because it was the generation that was the least good, and if you disagree with my opinion then you are wrong.

Gen 3 was the best generation because it was the generation that was the most good, and if you disagree with my opinion then you are wrong.

well, i started with fire red and emerald, so for me gen 3 was great!

even now, after beating soul silver, when i decided to build an epic team (tis not done yet, the trainer card is what the end result will look like)the majority were random pokemon from gen 3 (the ony one not gen 3'd is frosslas, which is an evelution from a gen 3.)

I really enjoyed genIII for all kinds of reasons:

Secret bases!! so much better than the ones in D/P/PT.

awesome pokemon; maybe not in terms of usability, but i think they look awesome, better than most of the ones from sinnoh.

interesting terrain- in hoenn, you explore in a volcano, on top of treehouses, a desert, and even underwater!

legendaries - genIII introduced some of the awesomest legendaries to date(imo), such as Latios/Latias, the Regi's, Rayquaza, and my favorite of all time: Deoxys!

Well if you read the shinys page on bulbapedia shinys do gian better stats upon growing a level. Also your grammer is very poor.

The page you are using as an argument said:
In Generation II, shininess is determined by the individual values (IVs) of a Pokémon. If a Pokémon's Speed, Defense, and Special IVs are 10, and its Attack IV is 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15[...] Shiny Pokémon are only slightly above average in terms of IVs.
They are not stronger than normal Pokemon, in fact they are far from perfect in terms of IV. And I do know that 15 is max in gen2.

And how is my poor grammar relevant? At least I can spell. "Grammer" and "gian" are not English words in my dictionary.

I actually restarted Emerald last night, and I don't get why I frowned upon it so much. Hoenn is actually a very nice land (After I get pass the obscure amount of water routes), it has some of my favourite Pokémon (Roselia, Gardevoir), but I still find it too easy.

I still like Gen I the best (Nostalgia), but Gen III's ranked up there with the others.
Gen I > Gen II > Gen IV = Gen III.

i believe that the 3rd gen is the best as it has lots of legendarys and the battle frontier in emerald. and also the berry idea was awesome

Please do not call me an imcompetent trainer and say i suck that is an offense i can report. In generation 2 Shinys have better stats than normal pokemon so that is why it was a dissapointment. All the fire types you have listed are actually very good so you didn't need a choice in the first place and It is easier if you have a fire type.I know magneton is a gen I pokemon i am not dumb. I mean it can be found very early within the games as an underleveled pokemon so you can train with your own moves and EV training. I need a pokemon with surf which has more base power than waterfall when used by a pokemon with good special attack. Gen III had way more creativity than gen II which had loads of Kanto pokemon in the Jhoto region, loads of Gen I prevolves and evolves and Kanto itself was in the games. This made both regions twice as easy with hardly any good training places. Gen IV had hundreds of prevolves and evolves. R/S/E were only hated because they were very different with no Kanto pokemon and no Kanto. All the grass types you have listed suck.

Hoenn did have Kanto Pokemon.... such as Magneton. And don't get mad if someone says you suck at the games and then say Pokemon that person likes suck.

But on topic, I hated Gen 3 because I just played it soooooo much. I'll see the color pallets used on Hoenn and Kanto and get sick, because I've seen them a ton. Also, I didn't find too many new Pokemon lovable, as I have before. I hate Gen 3 for most of the same reasons as I hate Smash Bros. Melee, because I've played them all so much and my eyes are tired of looking at those graphics and colors. The games and game play are awesome though.

I loved Gen III. It was my favourite and I hope they remake it in a few years, it seems unlikely but I really hope they do. To me, it had many good Pokémon. The starters were the first case in which I liked ALL of them. The diversity in environments was amazing. And it had more detail and better graphics than previous generations (which can be said for any future generation).

I think many people hate it because they don't like surfing, maybe they hate the fact that your Gen I/II games are useless because of the lack of backwards compatibility. But to me Hoenn is my favourite region.

probably 'cause it offered something different. something that not all of fandom was ready for. I still love it, though. I much more disappointed at the Gen V Pokémon, well, not all but a lot of them.

I replayed Emerald for the first time in years just a few weeks ago, and I went from hating everything about it to really liking it. Like Kumo said, a lot of people at the time weren't ready to jump into something as completely different as Emerald was. What, we can't get to Kanto? Where are Professor Oak and Team Rocket? We're supposed to care about global warming fanatics in really funny costumes? That said, R/S/E do have flaws that might turn a lot of people off like they turned me off, especially the emphasis on underwater routes and backtracking through through the region far more often than you had to in the first or second generation. The first time playing through, it could get pretty confusing if you weren't paying attention.

Gen III is still my favorite Generation. It just felt bigger, more free, and with more options. I really don't get why people complain "OMG TOO MANY WATER ROUTES NO MORE OLD POKES STUPID PLOT FAIL FAIL FAILLLL!". Like Red, Blue, Gold and Silver were perfect? Seriously?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom