• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

Well that game was way awesome and in my opinion I didnt like G/S/C how is it so awesome? Aside from you could going back to Kanto and challenging the original 8 gym leaders it wasnt too awesome. I dont see the Cyndaquil fans either I like my poke games hard and with many pokemon on my team (but Totodile was awesome!)

I like R/S/E because the starters were really good. Treeko's final form was a speed demon. Torchics final form was a buzzkill like Buzz Killington ;-) seeing he cant help against the final gyms. Mudkip was awesome for only being weak to grass and resistant to electricity when he evolves. The wild pokemon could be a bit better but I like the challenge of raising slow pokemons like Torkoal and Camrupt. And there were two bad teams, who have kickass uniforms along with Team Rocket

They must've hated the complete change of region and not going back to Kanto to see Professor Oak. But hey Birch was different, he conducts research and observes pokemon in the wild and spends time with his child. (something Oak never didnt and looky what happened to Gary...JK)

there's nothing wrong with the game it was just a bad move not allowing gen 1 & 2 pokemon to be transferred

Hoenn is alright until I have to surf. I like the Pokemon that generation 3 introduced. I like all the starters in Hoenn and have used them all at least once. Hoenn just sucks ass with all the water. I know the "water" is an old and tired complain, but it is a valid one nonetheless. I didn't like the designs of the main characters either.

While Hoenn had a few good things, its flaws outweighed the good points. I am probably the only individual on the face of the earth who didn't like FR/LG at all. I've never played the gamecube titles so I cannot comment on them.

Gen 3 almost killed my interest in Pokemon. It was probably the lowest point in the series for me. I became interested in Pokemon again with the announcement of Black and White. At first I only played Platinum just so I could say I played generation 4. I went in with the lowest of expectations, but then I wound up enjoying it. The turning point for me was when Starly learned wing attack at level 9. This was the moment when I was convinced "THIS GAME IS AWESOME!"

Lack of old pokemon isn't a "adding fuel to the fire" thing for me either. Because my team in Platinum has 4 4th gen Pokemon. I look forward to trying out new Pokemon all the time. It doesn't hurt that Platinum happens to have a great mix between new and old Pokemon.

Last edited:
If no backward compatability meant better gameplay, I'm all for it.

you're implying they're exclusive...

it didn't need true "backwards compatibility" it needed a way to convert gen 1 & 2 pokemon stats to gen 3 compatible stats - that would not affect the gameplay in any way

But that was impossible. Take the EVs. Before Gen III, all stats could get max EVs. After the limit of 2, how was the game to decide which stats were to be maxed out? Whats even more complicating is that you can distribute the stats in anyway. Thus converting the old EVs to the new system was impossible. And thats just EVs. There were changes to IVs, introduction of Natures and Abilities, etc.

Lets not forget that EVs and IVs, until Gen V were never even mentioned in game.

But that was impossible. Take the EVs. Before Gen III, all stats could get max EVs. After the limit of 2, how was the game to decide which stats were to be maxed out? Whats even more complicating is that you can distribute the stats in anyway. Thus converting the old EVs to the new system was impossible. And thats just EVs. There were changes to IVs, introduction of Natures and Abilities, etc.

Lets not forget that EVs and IVs, until Gen V were never even mentioned in game.

don't patronise people it's insulting - anyway i've highlighted the glaring error in your post - i'm not disputing the fact it would be difficult & far from perfect but to state it's impossible is foolish - the transfer from gen 1/2 could have implemented a quite simple process of maybe resetting EV's then giving a random nature & IV's and allocating random abilities etc etc etc & maybe even resetting the level to the level the pokemon was caught at - & that was 5 seconds of brainstorming (i'm sure the game programmers could have prduced a far better method) like i said it's far from perfect but please don't throw words like "impossible" around so casually (for your sake not mine)

Hoenn is alright until I have to surf. I like the Pokemon that generation 3 introduced. I like all the starters in Hoenn and have used them all at least once. Hoenn just sucks ass with all the water. I know the "water" is an old and tired complain, but it is a valid one nonetheless.

While Hoenn had a few good things, its flaws outweighed the good points. I am probably the only individual on the face of the earth who didn't like FR/LG at all. I've never played the gamecube titles so I cannot comment on them.

It is a valid one just for the complainers, and the same goes for "its flaws outweighed the good points" because that could be the opinion of anyone about any other Pokémon main series game: I can't stand the exasperating and/or nostalgic love for GSC/HGSS for example, but that doesn't make them bad games or turn my opinion of them into a fact.

don't patronise people it's insulting - anyway i've highlighted the glaring error in your post - i'm not disputing the fact it would be difficult & far from perfect but to state it's impossible is foolish - the transfer from gen 1/2 could have implemented a quite simple process of maybe resetting EV's then giving a random nature & IV's and allocating random abilities etc etc etc & maybe even resetting the level to the level the pokemon was caught at - & that was 5 seconds of brainstorming (i'm sure the game programmers could have prduced a far better method) like i said it's far from perfect but please don't throw words like "impossible" around so casually (for your sake not mine)

Again with the same premise of before...some people just can't understand how programming works and the liability of using previous code on a completely different engine.

Again with the same premise of before...some people just can't understand how programming works and the liability of using previous code on a completely different engine.

i'm not disputing the fact it would be difficult (just in case you missed that...) but to reiterate - to say (or even imply) it's impossible is ridiculous !

well for me it was pretty cool the first played it in spahire and i love the diving parts but alot of ppl didnt like that part and to me some of the pokemon are just boring somehow not the worst gen. of pokemon tho...

It is a valid one just for the complainers, and the same goes for "its flaws outweighed the good points" because that could be the opinion of anyone about any other Pokémon main series game: I can't stand the exasperating and/or nostalgic love for GSC/HGSS for example, but that doesn't make them bad games or turn my opinion of them into a fact.

I guess you are right in a sense that water complaints are only valid to the people complaining about it. If you like R/S/E (I don't know if you do) then it may be invalid to you. I think I should have clarified that the flaws outweighing the good points was in my eyes.

My intentions were to just put my 2 cents out there. Not to present my opinions as fact.

i'm not disputing the fact it would be difficult (just in case you missed that...) but to reiterate - to say (or even imply) it's impossible is ridiculous !

It's impossible, believe it or not. And because it seems you won't be changing your flawed opinion about the unpractical, buggy and silly reasons of keeping Generation II and III "compatible", I'm leaving for good the discussion of that specific topic.

If I'm getting it right, the only way you could "transfer" Pokemon from gen2 to gen3 would have to be if the gen2 Pokemon had been sent to an external device and had it's data structure completely changed, then sent to a gen3 game. That would be extremely impractical, but in theory possible.

If I'm getting it right, the only way you could "transfer" Pokemon from gen2 to gen3 would have to be if the gen2 Pokemon had been sent to an external device and had it's data structure completely changed, then sent to a gen3 game. That would be extremely impractical, but in theory possible.

Yeah, it would've needed something like this. A fairly elaborate peripheral, and one there would've been limited interest in depending on the price. Nintendo wouldn't have been guaranteed to make their money back. Another alternative might've been to do it on the Gamecube with some special software, but that also would've required a new peripheral; some kind of Gamecube equivalent to the N64's transfer pak that would allow it to connect to Gen I/II games and download Pokemon. Then you could've connected to the software with a regular GC-GBA link cable and downloaded the converted Pokemon.

Last edited:
Well, I don't hate Hoenn or Gen III that much. It's my least favorite, but I don't hate it. I simply enjoy I, II, and IV more. Heck, if it wasn't for Isshu, Hoenn will still be the pretties region to me. It was surely bigger that Johto and Kanto too. If it was one thing that disappointed was the fact that the rival was just the unselected player character. That seemed so half-assed to me, and that wasn't at all interesting. Why couldn't Wally have the role of the rival he should have? Another thing was the over used surf and dive. This pissed me off a lot, espically since I don't wanted to used a single water type this time around. Way to shove something way down the throat, Game Freak.

On the bright side, Aqua and Magma were a excellent break from Rocket. Better goal, and better looking grunts. If it wasn't me having a hate relationship with fan characters, I'll most likely have a Magma gunt as one, but that's a different topic. To top it off, their were actually good mini-bosses for each team. They both felt like real "bad guys" to me compared to Rocket. The music track was awesome as well. I love every single theme with a firely passion, even the one people hated the most.

While I do like the gym leaders, they really weren't a challege for me. I guess this is a good thing, since I'm still to this day pissed off about Whitney. However, to make things even worse, the Elite only took me 35 mintues to beat, while the other took me about a hour or two. Steven Stone really wasn't a surprise for me either.

I'm personally fine with the pokemon as well. If it has to be that one I don't like, it has to be... none. I like them all, they designs are very well created.

Hoenn is really not as bad as people say it to be. I still play Sapphire and Emerald to this day. They are very good games if you ask me.

One word: Reboot

Not being able to transfer past Pokémon into the GBA games hit me too, but I got over it.

In fact, I like Generation 3. Lots of sidetracks (contests), new battle mechanics (abilities and double battles), and plenty of cool new Pokémon (the Hoenn starters). And above all, them graphics. Huge step forward compared to the first six games.

And if all that wasn't good enough, they remade the Kanto games for nostalgia factor and to bring back whatever Monsters Hoenn missed.

I believe a lot of people only hate Hoenn for the ridiculous amount of water you had to surf on. I dislike it myself. If the surfable Pokemon consisted of more than Wingull and Tentacool, I'd like it more. Give me some Wailmer and Staryu to run into.

I kinda liked Surfing, the music is good, it isnt so annoying running into wild pokemons every 5 steps

I kinda liked Surfing, the music is good, it isnt so annoying running into wild pokemons every 5 steps

And with the option to purchase Repels, I don't understand why people keep bringing again and again and again and again the same complains. The Victory Road shares almost the same predicament in every installment and no one seems to be bothered by that.

In my case, I always have a good supply of Repels because when I explore, I don't like the idea of being interrupted every 1 minute or so by wild Pokémon, be it a cave, a surfing area, tall grass, etc.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom