• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

I actually liked the number of water routes, and I don't see why everyone likes BW's total of 0 water routes that you have to travel on. Anyway, the games had great graphics (BW is really good as well), my favorite generation of pokemon, the best music, and the most improvements in gameplay. What's not to like?

or they could've done like the past two generations and just completely redo the Pokemon's data structure AFTER it's been transferred and simply not allow it to be sent back. But then again, the 8-bit games were running on a hexadecimal data structure, so I guess that time, it was necessary.

Adding features is different from changing them. The Natures and Abilities could probably have been added without any problem. But with the revised EV and IV system, its a whole other story.

Before Gen III, every pokemon could be have max EVs in each stat. In Gen III and onwards, only 2 stats can be maxed out.

Suppose you have a Pokemon from Gen II which is EV trained fully in each stat. When Transferred to Gen III, how is the game to decide which stat has how many EVs. And a lot of the time, people distribute EVs across all the stats which adds more complexity.

The point is that we would either have the revised EV and IV system meant to add more strategy and please the competitive battlers or backward compatability to please the general fanbase. You can't please everyone.

Gen III, I feel and many will agree, was a generation meant for the competitive battler at a time when that particular aspect was no where near as important as it is today. For the casual player, aside from the improved graphics and some tweaks, was not a huge step up from Gen II. Horribly butchered though Gen II Kanto was, RS had almost no Post E4 content. So I can see why many were disappointed.

However, there is a severe lack of appreciation for what minor things that Gen III did add. For the first time, both Player Characters appeared in the game and had importance. For the first time, the player had a dad. Why the previous (and future) PC don't have a dad, I'll never know. Not only was the dad present but he was a Gym Leader and along with the likes of Wallace, adding much more personality and impotance to the Gym Leaders who otherwise were just 8 dudes who forgot that using a single type is a horrible mistake. The Legendary Pokemon were important to the plot for the first time. In previous games, this was not the case. I know people complain that the nwere games rely too much on Legendaries but this is a world where creatures have super powers and the deities are also these creatures. What do you expect? I mean, do expect the villains not seek to use the unimaginable powers of these creatures for their owns goals? If you feel that way, this is not the franchise for you.

And possibly the most unappreaciated feature from RS are the Running Shoes. Coupled with this generation being the fastest in terms of Framerate, the Running Shoes were invaluable addition till you got the Bike. Even when you did get the bike, many including me would use the register feature on other things like the ItemFinder and Fishing Rods and just run around everywhere. But people ignore this addition completely.

I know! I personally LOVED Generation III. It was my favorite generation until V (I think this generation will be my favorite lol)

come on, it had Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald, Firered and Leafgreen.

I love gen. I so that was a plus.

I thought that RSE was really different from GSC and RGBY.

.. people are going to eat me for saying this but I thought that generation IV was the weakest :/ didn't care too much for DPP and HGSS almost, but doesn't make up for it.
It was really 'gimmicky' to me.

but BW is really, really good. It's probably my favorite game so far :)

///
Suppose you have a Pokemon from Gen II which is EV trained fully in each stat. When Transferred to Gen III, how is the game to decide which stat has how many EVs. And a lot of the time, people distribute EVs across all the stats which adds more complexity.
///

easy: just reset the pokemon to "untouched" upon transfer

i dunno, i myself prefer gen III to gen IV >,>

there's nothing in it for me to hate, except the disappearance of day/night system.

maybe it's right to conclude that people really hate the pokemon change from gen I and II to gen III, well...plus they can't trade...

about the R/S/E area which is mostly water, never got any problem for it, thought that was a nice change over the previous games. Spent around 2-3 playthrough (started new game due to various reasons, one of them was to search for shiny legendaries :p)on it, it's an okay game for pokemon i guess...

I loved R/S/E. The music was great, the game was fun, the E4 was challenging and it felt so.... balanced.Oh yeah diving and surfing through the water was awesome (but tentacool was annoying XD). The Pokemon design was nice.

I didn't enjoy FR/LG(didn't hate it, just wasn't great) I felt it held nothing to Red/Blue. The sound wasn't as good and just wasn't true enough to the orginals(HG/SS was an AMAZING remake. I could hardly ask for more). But it was still pretty nice.

So why the Gen III hate? To be honest, no idea..

I personally love Gen. III. It was where I found my first shiny,(at the time, I was really young and had no clue what a shiny pokemon was... by the way, the shiny I found was a Duskull.) it is the Pokemon game where in my opinion, the shiny sprites look nicer, and although battles goslowly and there are a little too many sea routes, I like the game overall. The Victory Road is easy to get through, but not too easy. The ability to plant berries and have you pokemon be in competitions, too, was nice. Overall, I like Gen III.

easy: just reset the pokemon to "untouched" upon transfer

NO.

Because Level 100 Pokémon can't get EV's. So what would the point be in transfering a fully trained Lv 100 Pokémon if it would lose its improvements without the opportunity to gain them back?

Back in the day I did not see the "OMG I can't transfer my Pokémon old" and "WTH they left out so many Pokémon" things as an issue. To be honest, I've always felt the other way round: a new installmente means new characters to get the spotlight, so having 251 old Pokés against only 136 newcomers would have been unbalanced. Thus, leaving out old Pokémon was a nice move, and leaving out compatibility with previous games was a smart move to prevent people from forcing them back onto the new games. Just think about it: playing a game released in 2003 (and by extension, in 2011 thanks to PalPark and PokéTransfer) with Pokémon from 1998 would be redundant, repetitive and boring. I even hope Gen VI cuts compatibility with Generations III-V, although I know that won't happen.

Last edited:
I find one of the biggest reasons is that there was no way to connect with previous games until they made FR/LG. Plus, mnay of the attack animations were not that good, such as Leaf Blade. What was with the swirling line of leaves?

I found gen III to be great all thought the biggest complaint I think is the fact that you cant trade pokemon from a gen II game to a gen III game.

R/S/E where great as they added alot of new things to the games and also had a very well done story line.

FR/LG where great remakes and the sevii islands where a great thing for the game too.

NO.

Because Level 100 Pokémon can't get EV's. So what would the point be in transfering a fully trained Lv 100 Pokémon if it would lose its improvements without the opportunity to gain them back?

Back in the day I did not see the "OMG I can't transfer my Pokémon old" and "WTH they left out so many Pokémon" things as an issue. To be honest, I've always felt the other way round: a new installmente means new characters to get the spotlight, so having 251 old Pokés against only 136 newcomers would have been unbalanced. Thus, leaving out old Pokémon was a nice move, and leaving out compatibility with previous games was a smart move to prevent people from forcing them back onto the new games. Just think about it: playing a game released in 2003 (and by extension, in 2011 thanks to PalPark and PokéTransfer) with Pokémon from 1998 would be redundant, repetitive and boring. I even hope Gen VI cuts compatibility with Generations III-V, although I know that won't happen.

YES. :rolleyes:

what part of "UT" don't you understand? (seemingly the part where level is reset...)

also fyi you can add EV's to a level 100 pokemon on B/W

I think the main reason why I didn't like gen III was because of the you couldn't transfer Pokemon from gen II to the new games. I liked it better after gen IV came out and you could transfer from gen III. I didn't like the anime during that time (and I eventually stopped watching and didnt start again until DP) I think its because I thought May and Max were annoying. I'm not the biggest fan of the Hoenn region either. All of the water you have to travel over and I hated the two different bikes you had to use. I wasn't really a fan of a lot of the Pokemon until after gen IV came out either.

YES. :rolleyes:

what part of "UT" don't you understand? (seemingly the part where level is reset...)

also fyi you can add EV's to a level 100 pokemon on B/W

1. What part of "we're talking about RSE" (where you CAN'T add EV's), not about BW you didn't understand? Seemingly the part where we're on the RSE remake thread.

2. Due to the context of the point argued, you made it seem like UT referred to the "with no EV's" part only. Also, FYI when people search for UT Pokémon usually (not universally though, I accept) is for the sake of having control of its EV's, so again, my POV, if erroneous, still makes sense in context.

3. I thought the point of transfering Pokémon from older games was to keep its moves and Level and save the player te need to catch and train the same Pokémon again. If you transfer a Level 100 Pokémon from a GB game to a GBA game and it resetted its Level it would have no point. Not to mention that what would happen to evolved Pokémon? Would they de-evolve or you'd end up with a Lv. 5 Charizard and a Level 2 Pidgeot? See? If EVresetting Pokémon would be hard to achieve, Levelresetting would have been even harder, and moreover, useless. So I repeat. NO. just no.

How young were most of you when R/S originally came out? Most us here were either in our younger teens and some were only like 8-12 or something when R/S came out.

You guys have to remember that R/S came out when the franchise was what...only 5-6 years old?

Got it as soon as it came out. Don't remember my age, but I was born in 91.

Weren't the Hoenn games the worst selling of the series?

Even with that and the fact that most of the original fans left, Hoenn still has a decent following.

Weren't the Hoenn games the worst selling of the series?

They were still the top selling GBA games overall of any other franchise on the Gameboy Advance.

Fire Red/Leaf Green didn't do that well either compared to other gens, I guess its because the GBA didn't have the huge install base the DS had.

I was 16 when they came out. Back then I left the franchise up until 2007, but it wasn't due to being tired of the franchise (actually I was very hyped when they were announced), but because I has no money to afford a new console (that's the reason I only resumed playing videogames several years later when I got a decent job).

I think another reason FRLG sell less than RS is because they were remakes. Always brand new games sell better than remakes/reedirions/etc. I'm not too sure, but even in spite of all the media hype, I think HGSS didn't outsell DP either.

They were still the top selling GBA games overall of any other franchise on the Gameboy Advance.

Fire Red/Leaf Green didn't do that well either compared to other gens, I guess its because the GBA didn't have the huge install base the DS had.

Oh I remember that. I'm just saying as far as the series goes they were still the worst selling.

Honestly I doubt that remakes will ever sell as good as the originals, depending on how long the series last and if they decide to remake gen 4.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom