• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

This says nothing, really. What actually happened is most kids had grown out of the franchise by the time RSE were released. And the fad had simply died down. RSE were still the best selling games on the GBA, however the GBA itself was not as popular as the GB/GBC. Pokemon is still as healthy as ever, it's simply lost the fad status it once had.

That seems reasonable. While everyone screamed with joy over Gen II, a lot of kids grew out of pokemon when Gen III was released. And as of Gen IV, new kids started to like the series, and as on Nintendo DS, the older fans who can afford the device are back.

The main reason people say they hate this generation is because they grew up, went to high school where Pokemon isn't cool anymore, then got to college during DPPt where Pokemon is cool again.

Well, generation III isn't my favorite, but it doesnt't mean that I hate it .3.

I love Hoenn, the soundtrack (Slateport is my favorite city theme and Route 113 have the best route theme! <3~) and the fact that we can explore underwater (dive have a cute soundtrack too! <3), still like the pokémons (Milotic is in it! <3). What I love about the legendaries plot is that they show you their power, ya know? They are the creators of Hoenn, and you can totally get why it's important to stop Team Aqua/Magma. The geography is so nice, there are beaches, islands, mountains, a desert, meteors... <3 Plus, the cities are so different! Fortree is so interesting and unique, Rustboro is this European, academic like city. Sootopolis is AWESOME! You need to dive to find this amazing greek based city <3~. Then there's Dewford, so small and... sandy xD...

The gym leaders are ok, Wallace is so ~wonderful fabulous~ <33 Plus it's nice to pwn your parent, haha.

I understand the complains about the rivals, tough. I mean, pokémon is an pretty easy game, but I love the battles with the rival cause you never know what to expect. Plus I love their cocky atittude. =D

The only thing I really hate in this game is the Elite 4. Love Steven, he's hot and everything, but gee, Lorelei and Agatha are so much better than Glacia and Phoebe g_g

The contests were really fun, but I agree, they weren't finished. There wasn't any in game information about combos or even what to do you know? It was really confusing for me in my first tries.
I think the same about the secret base. It's so fun to decorate your own base, but there isn't that much items to use and the places always have a stupid hole D:

I don't know. I love Hoenn, and Gen III is arguably my favorite generation.

I will admit that, after the sixth gym, the second half of the region got a little annoying because of all the water and diving. But everything else in the gen makes it worthwhile.

I think most people hated it because they couldn't trade their other Pokemon from R/B/G/Y and G/S/C to the R/S/E games. I know quite a few people who quit Pokemon because of that reason, even though you could catch the earlier version Pokemon.

I dunno.

Generation III along Generation V are the best, I guess people are bothered because their favourite games aren't the best in the franchise.

The more I think about it, the more I'm getting convinced that it's because many of us grew out of pokemon during RSE releases. A lot of pokemon fans were in their mid to late-teens when RSE came out - then DPPt came out when they're around 20 or so.

The more I think about it, the more I'm getting convinced that it's because many of us grew out of pokemon during RSE releases. A lot of pokemon fans were in their mid to late-teens when RSE came out - then DPPt came out when they're around 20 or so.

Exactly. Then they went to college and had Pokemon parties until late in the early morning hours. It happens all the time.

Not everybody who hates it was for that reason, whoever. Most of my friends hated RSE and liked FRLG, it had nothing to do with fads or going into high school or anything like that. I don't hate RSE, but it is still the low point of the series for me.

Generation 3 was amazing. Not as good as 1 or 2, but much better than 4 or 5.

The R/S/E soundtrack was the best of any Pokémon game, before or after. All of the new Pokémon were interesting and well-designed, without being ridiculous Digimon takeoffs like certain members of later generations are...

Hoenn was a beautiful, vibrant landscape and more fun to explore than any other. Pokémon battles in the third generation felt faster and more intense than they do now. Diving, secret bases in trees, and did I mention the music?

I could go on and on.

[Akira];3670584 said:

The R/S/E soundtrack was the best of any Pokémon game, before or after. All of the new Pokémon were interesting and well-designed, without being ridiculous Digimon takeoffs like certain members of later generations are...

Hoenn was a beautiful, vibrant landscape and more fun to explore than any other. Pokémon battles in the third generation felt faster and more intense than they do now. Diving, secret bases in trees, and did I mention the music?

I could go on and on.

Nah.
Generation 3 is by far better than the "copy and paste" one (aka Generation 2).

But it is sure better than Generation 4.

Gen 3 = Gen 5 > Gen I > Gen 2 > Gen 4.

I'm assuming it had to do something with the fact that the time the gen III games came out, a majority of the children who had played the first two generations had grown out of it. Pokemon decreased in popularity upon the ending of the second generation (once Crystal came out), and I expect that this was why gen III was ridiculed by the players who returned to Pokemon after a while upon growing out of it as it suddenly seemed different to them with the new Pokemon.

I also assume that another reason why Pokemon R/S/E did not get enough love was because it lacked in details compared to the first two games. G/S/C expanded upon the first generation games; however, gen III completely threw that idea out of the window and started as a new game with no connections (well except the basic gameplay) to the past two regions. As a result, it was limited (just like the first generation games). People might have expected more since generation II. Just my thoughts..

[Akira];3670584 said:

I could go on and on.

Please do, those are just some of the things that made me love RSE. Also Gen III gave us remakes of the games that started it all, as well as wonderful spin-offs like Colosseum (Wes ftw!), XD, Ranger, PMD.

Hoenn added diversity to the Pokemon environment. Route 113 and Route 119 stand out here, and have fantastic BGM to boot. Plus the road from Mauville to Fortree had a far more exciting feel to it than any of the routes in Johto. Going through that rough terrain in the pouring rain, epic music playing in the background... Yes, the excess water was annoying at times, but so were certain caves in certain other regions which were just as optional as several water routes. And the Hoenn mainland counterbalanced that.

And of course, the games' timing worked against it, GSC got lucky in that regard, Pokemon was the fad of all fads then, Crystal coming on the tail end when it was dying down a bit. Now, if RSE had come out before GSC...

The Battle Frontier was another great concept added to the franchise, and was just so much fun to do. As were contests and secret bases before DP.

Here's why people hate Gen III >:)

Because it's a reboot. A lot of fans from generations prior to reboots really hate it when Nintendo releases one, and thus games like R/S/E and B/W have a lot of disdained fans. It happens every time Game Freak reboots the main series, folks. For instance, Generation I and II were in very similar terms, and had backwards compatibility, etc etc. But, when Ruby and Sapphire came out, a lot of things were changed/removed, and fans prior to Gen III felt left out, causing a huge portion of the fanbase to really have problems with R/S. The thing keeping each reboot "alive" is the fact that each time one is released, a completely new audience is brought in. As such, Gen IV had a lot of similarities with Gen III, and fans from each got along well with opinions. When Black and White were released, another big portion of the fanbase started to feel disdained and forgotten—I am such a fan nonetheless. This is a cycle that I can easily see repeating itself to kingdom come, or at least until Game Freak feels burnt out, which I don't see happening anytime soon. In a nutshell, Many Gen I fans hate Gen III, many Gen III fans hate Gen V, and many Gen V fans will soon hate Gen VII if it is another reboot, and so on and so forth. Finally, there you have it, people.

Re: Here's why people hate Gen III >:)

Because it's a reboot. A lot of fans from generations prior to reboots really hate it when Nintendo releases one, and thus games like R/S/E and B/W have a lot of disdained fans. It happens every time Game Freak reboots the main series, folks. For instance, Generation I and II were in very similar terms, and had backwards compatibility, etc etc. But, when Ruby and Sapphire came out, a lot of things were changed/removed, and fans prior to Gen III felt left out, causing a huge portion of the fanbase to really have problems with R/S. The thing keeping each reboot "alive" is the fact that each time one is released, a completely new audience is brought in. As such, Gen IV had a lot of similarities with Gen III, and fans from each got along well with opinions. When Black and White were released, another big portion of the fanbase started to feel disdained and forgotten—I am such a fan nonetheless. This is a cycle that I can easily see repeating itself to kingdom come, or at least until Game Freak feels burnt out, which I don't see happening anytime soon. In a nutshell, Many Gen I fans hate Gen III, many Gen III fans hate Gen V, and many Gen V fans will soon hate Gen VII if it is another reboot, and so on and so forth. Finally, there you have it, people.
This makes sence, yet to me it makes none. Mai brain says, "OVERLOAD." I get it now though.

Sha, there are exceptions like me.

I don't get why people hate. I guess it's human nature.

I think it really doesn't matter that some people hate Gen III, as it was still a popular Pokemon game. I am a generation 1 veteran and I actually liked Gen III even if it was a reboot and actually liked it for what it was.

A great and fun new Pokemon game with new Pokemon (at the time) and new places to explore. That is what Gen III was to me and to be honest a Pokemon game is a Pokemon game to me and I know I will always love them. ^^

I think it's as, there were quite a few changes in RSE- but not obvious or impactual enough for some people to see it as another Pokemon game, and not just a reboot of one.

Nevertheless, it's my favourite Generation.

I love Gen III too. Hoenn is one of my favorite areas, with such a tropical feeling to it... Not to mention I loved the idea of secret bases (that did not require wi-fi... *cough cough*), and getting to go underwater was also a very refreshing change :)

Also, the Emerald outfits look better than the Ruby/Sapphire ones, in my opinion. At least for Brendan - I always thought his R/S outfit was goofy :p

Gen III was a monumental part of my earlier years, so I love it. But I can understand why people don't like it. The water being one of them. A lot of people didn't like the music, too.

I just couldn't get into it. I think it was because the Pokemon in Gen III were either severely overpowered, or severely underpowered. At least, that's how I see it.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom