• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

I wouldn't be surprised if the reactions over RSE and it's changes are the reasons why GF seems reluctant to change up the series. Ironic, people complained that Johto relied way too much on Kanto, yet threw a fit when their precious Pidgeys and Rattatas were absent from RSE.

Well honestly I never saw the problem. Everyone waits to see the new pokemon from a generation, but in RS the first thing we really looked for was the old rattata and pidgey, and when they were not there and we actually got to see the new pokemon right from the start and onwards (minus caves that had geodude/graveler, zubat, machop, magcargo/slugma and the safari zone pokemon) we complained to me that does not seem right.

Well, i guess it was because it threw you into a new world... Gen 1 and 2, you were in a familiar place: Kanto, which is attached to Johto. But Hoenn just seems like it has no similarities to either. It was really weird for some of us to make the change over. o_o

And the fact that it just seemed... incomplete, to me. Not in a literal way with Gen 1 being physically incomplete (yay Cinnabar!) but more of... it had so much going on, something didn't seem right.

I liked the games the first time through, but its one version i can never just reset my game and play again. I've played Red at least 20 times through and never gotten bored. Same with Gold. But my Sapphire... i just can't. It's not as fun and nostalgic.

This exactly what I felt about Gen III. It was enjoyable the first time through, but something felt "off" about it. I think part of it was all the back-tracking and all the required surfing, but it's more than that. They threw several different terrains at us (volcano, beach, woods, mountains, jungle...) all in one region, combined with almost all-new Pokemon and style of villain. It just all combined into something much different than what I expected.

Touching back on the water routes and back-tracks, they really are a major part of my distaste. I already need to hunt for Pokemon and level up- don't force me to go back and re-experience it before I've gotten over my distaste of that section.

Anyway, Sinnoh was more enjoyable to me because it introduced new concepts and Pokemon, while still blending in comfortable favorites.

I wouldn't have had a problem with that, if the games had been released for the Game Boy Color and compatible with Generation II. But they weren't, so I wasn't initially satisfied.

I can see your point, but the GB by then was getting out of date and the GBA came to replace it and therefore Pokemon games have to be made for GBA because they wanted to stay current and make use of the latest technology. It was good this time that D/P when first came out, made use of GBA games which were still being used then.

I think the idea that the third generation isn't liked as much as the others is blown out of proportion. Maybe it's just easier to dislike it over the other games, so people pick on it more?

As was said above, the hate is probably misdirected simply because they couldn't trade their Pokemon over. That may be a bad thing, or even a good thing, but it's all past now and we should look at Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald in a different light.

Well, it is still my least favourite in the series. There are a few reasons that I have:

1. One single region - After Gold, Silver and Crystal, it just didn't feel the same.
2. No tradebacks - This was annoying, though natures, the new EV and IV system and all of the other upgrades were definetely welcomed.
3. Only 200 (202) Pokémon - At the time when it was just Ruby and Sapphire it seemed like it would never be possible to obtain all 386 Pokémon.

Of course most of these problems were solved with releases after Ruby and Sapphire. But because of this initially happening after Gold, Silver and Crystal it made generation III for me at least not as great. With the release of HGSS however, it looks to be as if I'm going to think that generation IV is to be the best generation so far :)

i think its crazy that everyones like AHHH I HATE DEM WATER ROOTS! i dont remember disliking that aspect of the game, i only remember not liking the, in my opinion, DRASTIC change in music, and that fucker on route 120 with the Milotic

i think its crazy that everyones like AHHH I HATE DEM WATER ROOTS! i dont remember disliking that aspect of the game, i only remember not liking the, in my opinion, DRASTIC change in music,and that fucker on route 120 with the Milotic

I have no idea why this made me laugh so hard. Anyway, Gen III was pretty different, but I didn't hate it. I just didn't like it as much as the others. I think that's where the idea that people hate Gen III came from, because it's not as popular as the others.

I really enjoyed Gen. III; to me, it's my favorite of all the Generations.

It brought so many new and interesting things to Pokemon, it just seemed to bring so many new ideas to the table that it felt like it had all of the good things in it from the previous generations, but it set itself apart more than the previous two (which to me almost felt like the same games but with the Psychic type fixed and more Pokemon in Gen. II).

I loved the fact that you ran into so many new and interesting pokemon right away. That's probably what made it feel so novel to me: the fact that it feels new and interesting from the get-go, so it left a good first impression with me. I really hated running into almost nothing but Pidgeys and Rattatas in the beginning of Gen. II - it just felt like I was playing the same thing over again in a different place.

And Team Aqua/Team Magma amused me. It was a bit ridiculous in R/S, but I believe they really made the story very amusing and entertaining in Emerald, when they don't glorify either of the stupid teams' ideals, but show both for the fools they are. :)

Also, it was the generation which introduced Milotic, my favorite Pokemon! :D

Oh, and I really liked all the water routes, and the fact that you could dive, which was really interesting to me - it made water routes much more complex and interesting. It was fun to explore the depths of the ocean blue.

Last edited:
I loved (and still love) FRLG, but for some reason I can't get into RSE. Don't get me wrong, I love the new features--it's just that Gen4 is so good that I can scarcely go back. The physical/special changes alone...

I'm nostalgic, but in a practical way: I probably wouldn't be able to handle GenI or GenII these days. Remakes work for me, which is why FRLG and HG/SS are my favorites--they have the old Pokemon and classic stories, but with all the new features. That said, I really enjoyed Platinum too--and I love how long the storyline is.

So I don't dislike RSE because it's new--I dislike it because I didn't like the storyline that much, I dislike all the new legendaries and dragon-types (I *love* all the new dragon moves, I just think dragon ubers give the type a bad name!), and it seems dated to me. And their efforts to recreate a completely new region with a new set of native Pokemon don't quite appeal to me. I like a pragmatic mixture like in Johto or even Sinnoh.

1st and 2nd brought us something, 3rd was overdoing it. The remakes of red and green got Pokemon high ratings again.. 4th started off with a new system so it was all good.

Hehe, I can't help but laugh at the "baaaw there was too many water routes!" Seems these poor souls never had a flying Pokemon, or the HM Fly...You only need to surf just ONCE, than you can fly to the city whenever you wish.

But of course, asking people in general to use their brains. What am I thinking?

Champion Lance said:
(I *love* all the new dragon moves, I just think dragon ubers give the type a bad name!),

You know Dragonite was the FIRST uber dragon, don't you? And Flygon is adorable, and in no way an uber! ;A;

Because it's not R/B/Y/G/S/C and everything new, according to some people, is bad. Simple as that.

I personally thought Gen III was a huge improvement for the Pokemon games. Granted, there are some things they should have put in from Gen II that were left out, (like Day/Night, for example) but what I really like about Gen III is the landscape is a lot more varied than Gens I or II. Plus Gen III introduced game mechanics that made the games more balanced. Lastly, some of my favorite pokemon were introduced in that generation.

So, it's not perfect, (What pokemon game is?) but it really gets too much flack.

I never hated it. While I never really played the Original Red and Blue, I did play Yellow shortly after GS(original). I actually thought the R/S was a nice approach to it.

The water routes never bugged me, and why someone would have a problem with that, is a little odd. I will admit it is a little annoying dealing with the pokemon on those routes,(namely in Emerald where the appearance rate seems similar to HGSS), but still, it is different from Johto and Kanto, and that is likely the reason they went for it. And the region is generally a tropical one, and just like in the Caribbean, you would expect a lot of water around. The desert part is a little unexpected, but still fits the humid climate.

I'm so sick of threads like this. Why can't we dislike what we dislike? Personally I hate Hoenn, and yet love Johto/Gen2 and Sinnoh/Gen4. What I didn't like from Hoenn (for the upteenth-millionth time or whatever)...

1. The pokémon. I just didn't like them, okay? The lines were either similar to older pokémon which I missed or they were wacked out and I didn't get them. This is a matter of personal preference. I didn't like nearly as many of the pokémon as much as previous (and the following) generations.
2. Water, water everywhere. I mean seriously. And I LIKE the ocean. :/ But this was just tedious and boring. @FairyRed: yes, you can fly, but there are a lot of places you have to go through a water route to get to before you can fly plus they were rather on the long and tedious side. Once for each route is more than enough to get annoyed at them. The fact is you still have to GO through the route in the first place and there are a lot of boring water routes in Hoenn.
3. The rival conundrum. Both Wally and the opposite gender kid seem to be your rival for most of the game. I don't feel they balanced the two very well and probably should have opted for one or the other. If not opted for one or the other, there has to be SOMEthing they could have done to make them seem a bit more into being your rival.
4. It became a grindfest. The beginning started needing some grinding unless you chose torchic because all the fire types were RIGHT AFTER those rocks you needed the 3rd badge to pass through anyways. :/ The story made the leveling not feel grind-y, however once it finished it was back to pre-badge 3 but worse because now your team was higher levels. Unless you made a habit of being over leveled (which you would need to grind to do anyways...), you needed to grind at the end of the game and it was tedious.
5. The acro/mach bike thing. It... was really pointless. :/ It felt like they were trying to better the system, but it really didn't work all that well IMO.
6. I didn't like the music as much. Sure, fine, it's an improvement from 8bit to whatever; I just didn't like the actual pieces.

This has nothing to do with the lack of backwards compatibility because I would always do my runs with pokémon I caught in-game for the most part in the first place. It was that the pokémon we were given to choose from at the start were less than appealing to me. :/ Yeah, they brought some crap to the metagame (which I don't care about anyways, but whatever) and added more features to the game, but they didn't feel all that big when actually playing the game.

But someone's going to say my opinions are wrong and I'm stupid. Whatever, I have stated my opinion and stand by it. I don't like Hoenn, and nothing anyone can say will change that. I admit they brought new things to the mechanics of the games and had a few good points, but those few good points I find in Hoenn/Gen3 are greatly overshadowed by the things I did not like.

You know Dragonite was the FIRST uber dragon, don't you? And Flygon is adorable, and in no way an uber! ;A;

Flygon is disgusting and has no place being a dragon. As for Dragonite, she's a single species. It's fine when it's an exception, rather than the rule.

Flygon is disgusting and has no place being a dragon. As for Dragonite, she's a single species. It's fine when it's an exception, rather than the rule.

Flygon looks more like a dragon than Dragonite. And dragon is in freakin' 'Dragonite' DX! I just can't take most Dragonite seriously because of their faces.

On topic, I have no idea why people hate Gen.III. It was a major improvement over Gen.II. It may not be my favorite gen. (Which was IV) but I really liked it.

Maybe it's the water routes that make people hate the game...

Yes, as far as I'm concerned, Dragonair should have been the final stage--perhaps with something intermediate between her and Dratini. But that tubby orange dinosaur is still one of the original 151, so...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom