• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

Gen III was the best imo. I also think gen II was the worst

I love Gen. III it was a little more refreshing then the Gen. II, which I thought was also awesome. Things I actually liked were Natures, Abilities, Contests, and the Gym Leaders.

My favorite Pokemon are mostly from Gen. III:
Milotic
Torkoal
Relicanth
Glalie
Treecko's family
Altaria

Sure I was disappointed I couldn't use my Dragon-type team from Gold/Silver, but it didn't make me enjoy the game any less.

Generation III is my favorite of the gens, and all the valid reasons were listed earlier on this thread. There was one part of it that wasn't really talked about though. Most of what people said was how it was a big step forward in Pokemon, and it was. It completely changed the battle dynamic, but this isn't the cause for my love. They also listed the environment, which is one of the reasons I loved it. It had the most variety, but I wanted everything to be bigger. The game made me think I needed more of everything when it came to region design, not because it lacked somethings the other regions didn't, but on the contrary it had more to it, and that made me want more than ever.

The reasons I haven't seen listed were the Pokemon designs... Which is actually why this is my favorite Gen by far. They had so much more inspiration to them, especially from mythological sources. I felt culture behind it, and I loved the art. The Pokemon of Gen III are wonderful in most every way to me. Very few of them are unlikeable, unless you are partial to certain qualities such as cuteness or coolness, in which case you might as well be a contest judge. Either way, the Pokemon had more to them than Gen II's by far. Gen II is the worst to me when it comes to Pokemon it offered me.

I didn't like it for the longest time simply because you couldn't go back to Johto and Kanto and because there wasn't time.

I've played all pokemon games at their point of release and I'll say, Hoenn is the only one that really challenged me. Especially the legendaries and their capturing processes. Sure the lack of day/night was a bummer but aside from that they were probably my most enjoyed games.

Plus we got the likes of Flygon, Banette, Snorunt, Tropius, Breloom, and Cacturne. I think GF intentionally made some pokemon look rather foreign to really push the concept of a new generation of pokemon and they rocked it. 4th gen definately was more challenging than the first two as well.

I could never hate any generation, they all are rather different to me.

I really liked Gen III; really, here's my list:

1: Gen II (First Pokemon Games I played, hard to shake 'em.)
2: Gen III (Loved them to death; introduced MIGHTYENA and ABSOL! I LOVE Dog-Like Mons.)
3: Gen I (Due mostly to all the glitches/imbalances; remakes count as Gen III).
4: Gen IV (Yeah, yeah, I know; "The Pokemon aren't more stupid, you're just less young!" Whatever. It brought Bidoof.

BIDOOF.)

you got a problem with Bidoof? greatest pokemon ever.
Absol and mightyena are hardly great pokemon. in fact, mightyena is rather awful, and absol is ok at best.

other than the lack of good pokemon, i thought it was an ok game. I'd put all of the other Generations before it.

Omg Gen III is my absolute favourite... I liked the whole idea of starting from a completely new region then. Plus I really like the "vibe" that Gen III had to offer. RSE even sorta made FRLG kind of blah...

Omg Gen III is my absolute favourite... I liked the whole idea of starting from a completely new region then. Plus I really like the "vibe" that Gen III had to offer. RSE even sorta made FRLG kind of blah...

Well yeah. In my opinion, I think GameFreak remade Gen I too early.
Gen III was not too bad. I admit, I thought Pokemon was dead for a time after G/S, but then when an old friend introduced me to FR/LG, I figured I HAD to play R/S/E.

I DEFINITELY enjoyed the water routes, especially when using Dive and such. Sunken ship? Submarine? = AWESOME.

I DEFINITELY enjoyed the water routes, especially when using Dive and such. Sunken ship? Submarine? = AWESOME.

Yeah I don't see what was so bad about the water routes, And yeah, I loved Dive, especially when getting to Sootopolis City :D

Absol and mightyena are hardly great pokemon. in fact, mightyena is rather awful, and absol is ok at best.

Just your opinion as I think they are some of the best designed, most original Pokémon from Game Freak's part. There are worst Pokémon like some from Kanto and Johto.

Hmm, honestly, I hadn't played Gen III, since I got uninterested with Pokemon when I was little. But from what I heard, people either loved it, or hated it. I don't understand why would you hate it since it introduced things like berries and contests.

Thanks.

Hmm, honestly, I hadn't played Gen III, since I got uninterested with Pokemon when I was little. But from what I heard, people either loved it, or hated it. I don't understand why would you hate it since it introduced things like berries and contests.

Thanks.

Gen II (G/S) introduced berries.

Contests in Gen III are not as great as what Gen IV did with it. You should definitely play it. Its great! I would recommend Emerald. It had the best of both worlds...literally.

I'm playing Emerald right now to try and get the Golems for Plat.

And basically, I keep thinking the same thing that's already been said a million times.

GameFreak essentially came out with this generation after what, 6-8 years of RGBY, and said, "Yeah, for now on, the easily thousands of hours every one spent on those games are for sure this time, useless. Meaningless. Just go ahead and throw away that Charizard, Zapdos, Jolteon, and Mewtwo."

I mean come on, it doesn't even have to be old fashioned direct trades. Just some way of getting the old dudes over to the new games.

Its a shame how you couldn't go back to Hoenn in Generation 4 like how you wen to Kanto in G/S/C

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom