• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

I am extremely indifferent to Gen III. Most of the things I liked were balanced out by things I hated.

Actually, I love Gen 3, a week ago I was gonna migrate some Pokés from Emerald, so I had to clone them, when I started playing it, I fell in love with it again, it was so simple, yet so awesome, and I realized that I was about 15 Pokés away from a Perfect PokéDex, too bad there's nowhere I can get them, I mean, they're simple things, like Drowzee or Sneasel... anyway, I was totally caught in the awesome atmosphere, it was the first time I trully felt nostalgic (Emerald was my the first videogame I played for real and my first Pokémon games) and my second time was fighting Groudon in SS, man, I loved the music, and I was a kid, I didn't gave a crap about natures, IVs, EVs (And now, I don't giva a crap either xD), I played for fun, sane, beutiful fun...
God, I miss that days so bad...

I'm making my way through my first Gen III game and finding it really easy, which I suppose is why it disappointed so many people.

However, I actually like the new species of Pokemon a lot. And I REALLY love the landscape - like how Sootopolis is inside a volcano and in Fortree they all live in tree houses. There aren't just caves, there are different types of caves and even a desert. And all the extra water routes - I know a lot of people complain about them but I like them (since I'm a big water Pokemon fan), even if dealing with all the Tentatcools and Wingulls that pop up everywhere is a pain in the ass. So IMO the fact that it's easier is more than made up for by the fact that Hoenn is a lot more fun to explore than Kanto or Johto, so I have a feeling I'll get more enjoyment out of playing it even after I've beaten the Elite Four than I did with the previous games.

I think people were just naturally going to be let down by the fact that you can't go to the old regions, that some of the original Pokemon aren't available, that the time/day of the week feature isn't there (though I love the fact that it has weather) and that has more to do with the high expectations of the previous games than it does with Gen III.

I think the reason people don't like it is because it introduced a lot of things, a lot of imperfect new ideas.

Gen 3 was the best. I think everyone hates it because they couldn't trade their old pokemon into the new games.

In Generation 3 I LOVE Pokemon FR and LG versions because they allowed me to relive the good old days with Generation 1 games with newer features. I absolutely ENJOY Pokemon Emerald Version because of an enhanced Hoenn region and storyline and also because of the ability to clone pokemon. I however, truly HATE Ruby and Sapphire Versions because it does not have as many things to do after the player defeats the Pokemon League and there are too many annoying water routes.

Best generation EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nuff said. And to all generation III haters out there :p.

P.S. But i do think it is unfair of people to critisize people who do not like the 3rd generation, why should their opinion stand in anyones way?

Last edited:
r/s are the only games i have played so far that is easy to find great pokemon such as: Blaziken, Swapert, Breloom, Walreain, Magnaton, Flygon, Kyogre, Groudon, Camarupt, Tropius and Altaria etc. When I played Diamond i had to replace 3 of my main pokemon when i beat the elite four: Bibaral because he just sucks, Gyarados very low special attack and Rapidash because he was just unbalanced. And I had to replace them with a migrated pokemon and two legendaries. As for HG/SS if you don't get chikorita your screwed for grass types, no good pokemon who could learn fly unless they were legendary and the red gyarados was just a disapointment so yeah. Plus the 4th generation did not include many fire types and the second generation was way too easy because i beat red on my gold with just level 55s and i did not have to restart once.

I still find them good games, but I do find them the weakest in the series (Excluding HGSS/FRLG).
There was too much water, and I could plough through the game with my eyes closed in no time, but I do find them enjoyable games.

I'm hoping for Hoenn remakes, and I'd love it if they got back the night/day/time for RSE.
Those were my favorite. Great Pokemon. Great locations. Great atmosphere.

I loved the exotic environment of Hoenn compared to other games. And Gen 3 was the first Gen I played seriously (I was too young to play the first two with any sort of strategy).

I think it's because it was the time people started to grow up and move away from it. The people who still play it it's because they hated how you couldn't transfer the Pokemon from Gen II to Gen III.

Maybe cause:

1.You can't transfer Pokemon from GSC or RBY. (well, not that hard to find out.)
2.Excessive water routes (kinda annoyed me, but Dive made it WAY cooler)
3.I call it the "Revolution Generation", sprites were greatly improved, abilities were added, the gameplay just got super advanced in little time. (which I loved)
4.Too easy? (Not for me)
5.Here's one I've heard: Bad Music. (I like RSE music and I don't see anything bad in it.)

Personally, I like RSE as you can see in the parentheses.

r/s are the only games i have played so far that is easy to find great pokemon such as: Blaziken, Swapert, Breloom, Walreain, Magnaton, Flygon, Kyogre, Groudon, Camarupt, Tropius and Altaria etc. When I played Diamond i had to replace 3 of my main pokemon when i beat the elite four: Bibaral because he just sucks, Gyarados very low special attack and Rapidash because he was just unbalanced. And I had to replace them with a migrated pokemon and two legendaries. As for HG/SS if you don't get chikorita your screwed for grass types, no good pokemon who could learn fly unless they were legendary and the red gyarados was just a disapointment so yeah. Plus the 4th generation did not include many fire types and the second generation was way too easy because i beat red on my gold with just level 55s and i did not have to restart once.

Don't blame Diamond/Pearl if you're an incompetent trainer that needs legendary Pokemon to win and can't figure out that Gyarados is used best when it's attacking from the physical side. By the way, Magneton is a Gen I Pokemon, not a Gen III one.

Also, I picked Totodile in HGSS and went through the game with a Bellossom as my Grass type. In the previous file, I used Jumpluff and in the one before that, Exeggcutor was my choice. They all worked beautifully well. Don't blame the game if you suck so much that you can't see the potential in underutilized Pokemon. The Red Gyarados is just like any other Gyarados, except that it's red. What did you expect? Again, use a physical one (Aqua Tail/Waterfall > Surf/Hydro Pump)

I'll give you the point of the Fire types, but RSE only had Vulpix, Numel and Torkoal as your choices if you didn't pick Torchic. Hardly what I'd call a wide array of options. Not that you even need a Fire type to get through the game.

RSE were good games. To what extent highly depends on the person, but I don't think I'd call them bad games. However, I do think that they were the weakest entries in the Pokemon series so far. If it wasn't for Colo/XD and FrLg, Gen III would definitiely be my least favorite Gen. As it stands, it's one of my favorites. This is in spite of RS, not because of it

Don't blame Diamond/Pearl if you're an incompetent trainer that needs legendary Pokemon to win and can't figure out that Gyarados is used best when it's attacking from the physical side. By the way, Magneton is a Gen I Pokemon, not a Gen III one.

Also, I picked Totodile in HGSS and went through the game with a Bellossom as my Grass type. In the previous file, I used Jumpluff and in the one before that, Exeggcutor was my choice. They all worked beautifully well. Don't blame the game if you suck so much that you can't see the potential in underutilized Pokemon. The Red Gyarados is just like any other Gyarados, except that it's red. What did you expect? Again, use a physical one (Aqua Tail/Waterfall > Surf/Hydro Pump)

I'll give you the point of the Fire types, but RSE only had Vulpix, Numel and Torkoal as your choices if you didn't pick Torchic. Hardly what I'd call a wide array of options. Not that you even need a Fire type to get through the game.

RSE were good games. To what extent highly depends on the person, but I don't think I'd call them bad games. However, I do think that they were the weakest entries in the Pokemon series so far. If it wasn't for Colo/XD and FrLg, Gen III would definitiely be my least favorite Gen. As it stands, it's one of my favorites. This is in spite of RS, not because of it

Please do not call me an imcompetent trainer and say i suck that is an offense i can report. In generation 2 Shinys have better stats than normal pokemon so that is why it was a dissapointment. All the fire types you have listed are actually very good so you didn't need a choice in the first place and It is easier if you have a fire type.I know magneton is a gen I pokemon i am not dumb. I mean it can be found very early within the games as an underleveled pokemon so you can train with your own moves and EV training. I need a pokemon with surf which has more base power than waterfall when used by a pokemon with good special attack. Gen III had way more creativity than gen II which had loads of Kanto pokemon in the Jhoto region, loads of Gen I prevolves and evolves and Kanto itself was in the games. This made both regions twice as easy with hardly any good training places. Gen IV had hundreds of prevolves and evolves. R/S/E were only hated because they were very different with no Kanto pokemon and no Kanto. All the grass types you have listed suck.

Last edited:
So I'm watching the G4 coverage of E3 when they start talking about the Gameboy Advance.

When they mention bestsellers, they actually do mention Pokemon... FireRed.

Ruby and Sapphire are unmentioned.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom