• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

Pokemon designs. I like so few of the Gen III Mons. They Just have a different feel than other Gens (and I recall reading this was wholly intentional). That's fine and all, but I felt it was for the worst.

I played Ruby in the Emulator until becoming the Champion. Now I will give all what I saw, what I liked and disliked, and for extreme fanboys, don't bug me with your comments.
1. I don't start in my room, a new wind.
2. Professor's name is almost a bad word.
3. There is said that Wally is your rival but I only battle him 2 times and May bug me like 9000 times.
4. Didn´t like contests, but I like better than musicals.
5. TOO MUCH WATER, don't know why Team Aqua cries for more water.
6. It introduced abilities and some other stuff.
7. Like the idea of having actually a visible and interactable father.
8. Regis are HARD difficult to unlock, how exactly could they put braille codes, not even a blind can read it in a GBA.
9. Can actually skip gyms.
10. E4 have MANY repeated pkmn.
11. I though Brendan was white-haired, until I read a little bit I got shocked.
12. NO good Kanto-Johto pkmn.
13. Hoenn Zafari Zone was great, not like Sinnoh's that is a disaster and you don't find nothing good.

But like I say, nobody is perfect

Just finished replaying Emerald and I loved it at least as much as the first time. Gen III was probably my favorite until Gen V came along and I've played since Red and Blue. The Pokemon were pretty cool, I loved the different bike types, the Secret Bases and Hoenn in general. In my opinion D/P are the weakest games in the series, Plat helps that a little.

I dunno, I freaking loved Gen III and I'll make sure to always keep a functioning GBA or GB Player handy.

Really? I loved Gen 3. Although I found the Gym Leaders (Save for Winona. Ugh.) and the Elites quite easy.

But the good stuff?

- Secret Bases, which was really cool to have
- The Dive HM and exploring underwater
- Team Aqua and Magma
- Pokemon Contests
- The Battle Frontier in Emerald

But as for the hate? I can kinda see why. A lot of people view the games as the sort of underdog of Pokemon.

I LURVE Gen III. The story for both games was outstanding in my opinion. :)

I LOVED Generation 3, Ruby was one of my best experiences.

The only things I dislike is all the HMs, I remember having a Gyarados with Strength, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Dive almost always on my team to help me get around.

Another thing is that I didn't care much for the characters. I could care less about Steven, fighting Blue (RBY) and Red (GSC) felt like much more of an achievement.

For many of the longtime fans, the time frame surrounding generation III is when most of us dropped out of the franchise. Obviously there are exceptions.

Big fan of Gen III, loved the new graphics, double battles, rebattles with gym leaders(Emerald). Gen III is the last gen of newer pokemon that I actually like. Hate the design of Gen IV/V Pokemon, just seems like they were running out of ideas and adding fangs here and there. Not to mention the english names were a bit weird to me... Maybe it's just my nostalgia going insane.

They went psycho about not being to send level 255 mewtwos over from their reds and their blues, and they couldn't beat the game with the same pokes every time. I just finished playing through my new emerald, and it was one of my favorite pokemon games!

I have a feeling people will have a similar reaction when the Pokemon moves onto the 3DS, primarily to those who don't own a 3DS complaining that they don't have one but for other reasons too.

I didn't like the fact that you couldn't trade Pokemon from Gen I or II over but it made sense since Hoenn was an island separated from Kanto and Johto. It was still an amazing generation though.

Re: Why Do People Hate Generation 3?

I wouldn't say I hate it, because it was a great generation, but it is my least favorite. I don't know, the Hoenn region and the 3rd generation Pokémon overall felt less Pokémon-ish to me. When I decide to play my Ruby version from time to time, sometimes I feel like I'm not playing a Pokémon game. I think that's just me, though.

Wow. I always felt that way too. For some reason I was getting the feeling that I was playing a bad fan game.

I agree! It wasn't just the lack of Johto, Kanto, and backwards compatibility, it just felt TOO different. Sure, Gen II had 100 new Pokémon, but it still felt like home. Same graphical style, same choice of three Poké Balls on the counter, and the first new route had Pidgey and Rattata in addition to new Pokémon. Home indeed. Generation III was not home, conversely.

Re: Why Do People Hate Generation 3?

I wouldn't say I hate it, because it was a great generation, but it is my least favorite. I don't know, the Hoenn region and the 3rd generation Pokémon overall felt less Pokémon-ish to me. When I decide to play my Ruby version from time to time, sometimes I feel like I'm not playing a Pokémon game. I think that's just me, though.

Wow. I always felt that way too. For some reason I was getting the feeling that I was playing a bad fan game.

Me too. I love RSE, but I love them thye least among Pokémon games, even though I'm aware that RSE were way more innovative than DPPt (in my opinion, RSE's innovations were perfected in DPPt), but still, I can't help but enjoy more DPPt (as well as RBY, GSC, FRLG, DPPt and HGSS) over RSE.

No idea best generation ever made for me
best anime saga
best pokemon
best games (when they were released) a remake would probably be one of the best games in the series

The pokemon designs were of the highest quailty they have ever been imo and i doubt they will that good again.

Generation III was my favorite generation. The point of the large bodies of water was to show the contrast between land and sea (hence team magma and aqua). It also had some of the best legendary pokemon. I really don' t understand why people hate it so much. It also had my favorite soundtrack in all pokemon games and I still play Emerald to this day. All in all it is the most underrated generation and it doesn't get any of the credit it deserves. It really gets me angry that there were'nt any remakes in Gen. V

It was the transition from the GBC to GBA and since GSC set such a high standard it was hard for RSE to meet that level which is most likely why fans didn't take to well to the games. I personally loved these games and they still go down as my favorites!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom