• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do some people find Gen 5 too easy???

Well, unfortunately, now that I'm all grown-up, I've actually got commitments now, so I don't really have as much time to play anymore, I'm afraid.

Platinum, while I was replaying Black and HG as well, was easily the hardest of them all. I'll blame it on overleveled opponents, especially at Victory Road onwards. E4 actually gave me a run for my Pokedollars, something that has not happened in a long time... And I've noticed something about Gen V Pokemon: The majority of them can become very competent fighters if used frequently. That, lower levels, and perhaps less diversity in foes' teams might've attributed to Gen V's relative ease.

... I forgot to mention Audino grinding. That probably helped with grinding a lot.

I dunno. I didn't find 5th Gen games that much easier than 4th Gen games, which are supposedly the most challenging. In fact Cheren was the only Gym Leader that ever beat me in the span of DP to BW2. DP Gym Leaders weren't cakewalks, but neither were the BW or BW2 Leaders. In fact the experience formula in 5th Gen, while helpful in the post-game, was a really clever way to prevent you up-shooting way too far in level through grinding during the main quest. It made it so I could only reach up to the next Gym Leader's levels before it became too dragged. I feel that was good for challenge as you couldn't over-level any Gym Leader. Conversely, it also provided a much better level balance with the Elite Four and the climatic battles, unlike previous games which made it excruciatingly difficult to grind before the Elite Four and always left you about 10 levels below the Champion. Over-leveling is not a true challenge.

In fact, I found the moves and strategies of 5th Gen Elite Four to be vastly superior to those of previous games, and even Gym Leaders. I also had a few challenge spots, and particularly found Ghetsis in both games, and Iris to be quite challenging as final battles. I would've liked to try BW2 in Challenge Mode from the start, but the asinine way they managed that feature made it impossible, and not sure how I can do it now (I beat both games and used all exclusive Keys already. Not sure if they will work on a restart or so). But even then, I found 5th Gen to be a decent challenge. It wasn't Emerald or Diamond/Pearl, but it wasn't a cakewalk unlike other games in the series.

I found gen 5 to be the second most difficult main series games... mostly because of some massive level jumps it has! I only trained a small team of about 4 in it... the rest I didn't focus on as much.

It's been too long since I played Gen I and I never played Gen II, so I only have III~VI to go on. VI is easily the easiest generation by a long shot, and Gen IV had its obnoxious moments setting it at hardest. Gen V though... I think I have to call it the second-easiest, if only because its competition is Gen III. But they're not that far apart, and both III and V are closer to IV in difficulty than they are to VI, I feel. I definitely concur with the notion that the new sliding experience system made grinding harder in V. Sure, it was *great* if you got somewhere and realized, "Oh hell, I don't have a 'mon of type X, I need to level a new one from scratch now." It was *particularly* easy to play catchup on one specific new 'mon because of the new experience system. If you came to that realization in III, you'd have an awfully long grind to deal with. But you could never really overlevel any challenge by a significant amount in V. Even III and IV let you do that if you were willing to put in the work [my team in Emerald is probably capable of taking on the Champion right now and I still haven't gotten the 8th badge, because I've been grinding].

I guess it comes down to which aspect of difficulty you're talking about [artificial difficulty enhancements aside]. If you're just playing the game normally, it takes less time to beat than most. If you want level 100 'mons and whatnot, good luck.

At least all of these games have better AI than Gen 1/2. I think also the wild Pokémon are progressively being more and more Demonic Spiders - due to new moves. Especially if you're not aware of the newly added moves to existing Pokémon, and the variety of abilities. I know some people don't like the pacing in Gen 2, and sure, it took long for me to grind, but I say it was less problematic than in Gen 5, not least because of Pokémon not knowing as many moves to screw you over.

My main gripe with Gen 5 was that level grinding to prepare for gyms was really frustrating, not only because of the EXP scale, but also because of wild Pokémon screwing me over with various moves resulting in supereffective 1-3HKOs (eg. Deerling with High Jump Kick - really??) and status effects. I mean, c'mon, if you're going to put up a decent fight, at least you can give me more EXP! It also didn't help that I was playing under not-very-ideal circumstances - it was since December last year, and I expected the DS Wi-Fi to stay for another 1-2 years at least. (Yeah, thanks a lot, Nintendo/Gamespy...) That did take away quite a bit of enjoyment from my BW walkthrough.

Kalos Route 11 was another instance where there were so many Pokémon that would 1-2HKO me. (mainly bird Pokémon that would spam Endeavor) At least there was the Exp Share that removed some of the stress.

I don't know anyone who finds Gen 5 easy. Gen 5 was probably one of the hardest. I struggled raising my Blitzle and Tranquil, Gym Leaders were a challenge, my most epic battle ever was with Ghetsis, and in B2 I was able to cheat to get the harder mode on straight away and it provided a decent challenge.

Gen 6 (well X and Y) are far too easy, my Pokemon range from 42-52 atm and the gym I just beat was ranging from like 32-36
Are you using the Exp. Share? If yes that explains it, any game is easy when you are overleveled. I'm one of those who found Gen 5 to be a joke in terms of difficulty, XY has the excuse of the Exp. Share, BW doesn't and it's pathetically easy, hell my underleveled Deino OHKO'ed N's Reshiram.

Being fairly honest, @Norzan has a point. I cleared Black with a bunch of level 39s

Then again, someone I know blacked out to a Joltik. Even after picking Tepig. And this was in the wild...

Most of it is too easy because the Gym Leaders never use more than three Pokemon on their teams, and the Elite Four members only use four during the main storyline. Yet Ghetsis is tough to beat, and the Trainers in eastern Unova have Pokemon at very high levels for some reason.

Most of it is too easy because the Gym Leaders never use more than three Pokemon on their teams, and the Elite Four members only use four during the main storyline. Yet Ghetsis is tough to beat, and the Trainers in eastern Unova have Pokemon at very high levels for some reason.

This. This right here. They nerfed the gym teams from 4th gen to 5th gen and imposed arbitrary limits on team sizes (seriously, you'd think it'd be against Unova law to use more than 3 or 4 Pokemon). It made the battles way too quick and easy.

I actually think they got the difficulty just right in Gen 5. It was challenging but I didn't have to grind.

Really? I think it was the opposite, it was too easy and too grindy. The EXP scaling system dragged out the grinding way too much and made leveling up utterly painful. The battling itself was easy, the grinding took way too long.

It's probably because of the leveling system that made leveling up easier. But eh, that really depends. Personally, Gen5 was one of the more difficult pokemon games, second only to Gen4.

Gen 5 leveling system makes underlevel Pokémon level up faster and overleveled pokemons level up slower. I believe the intention was just the opposite, to make games more difficult or balanced.

I don't remember fifth gen being easy although that might be because I used to play hard rom hacks from BW2 Lol.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom