• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do some people think oras is the worst remake?

Was oras really that bad?

• Oras sucks

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Oras was OK/good

Votes: 27 75.0%

• Total voters
You can also only visit one mirage island a day, so you need about a month to visit them all (if you're lucky enough to get a different one each day). I think people prefer exploring whatever they want whenever they want. Also what's to explore on these islands? They're so small it takes like 1 minute to walk over it and you're done. No trainers, very sometimes an item, and sometimes new Pokémon which is only interesting if you want to complete the dex, but there's no storyline to use them in anymore.

In DPPt and BW you could explore the post-game areas whenever you wanted, there's actually something to do there, and you can actually use the new Pokémon you catch to move on, instead of just for your collection. There's a big difference here.

Every game has its flaws but just because it is a flaw you don't like doesn't make it officially the worst :/

People have different standards on what they think is a lot and very few. You can give someone a pitcher of water full to the brim and it might not be enough to some. To others, even a teacup is way too much. Same difference, really. The size of ORAS's post-game content seems enough for me, but if it's not for you, then fine. There's no "official" standard for that.

Last edited:
Oras imo was the best and most in depth pokemon game I ever played.

I don't see how anyone could dislike it and like any other Pokemon game

Oras imo was the best and most in depth pokemon game I ever played.

I don't see how anyone could dislike it and like any other Pokemon game

Because the whole legendary thing was kind of lame and some of the mechanics were kind of dull too.

You can also only visit one mirage island a day, so you need about a month to visit them all (if you're lucky enough to get a different one each day). I think people prefer exploring whatever they want whenever they want. Also what's to explore on these islands? They're so small it takes like 1 minute to walk over it and you're done. No trainers, very sometimes an item, and sometimes new Pokémon which is only interesting if you want to complete the dex, but there's no storyline to use them in anymore.

In DPPt and BW you could explore the post-game areas whenever you wanted, there's actually something to do there, and you can actually use the new Pokémon you catch to move on, instead of just for your collection. There's a big difference here.

I just want to point out that SpotPass allows you get more islands a day.

With that said. I kinda wish that idea would continue in a future titles. But not be the bulk of them like in ORAS (I prefer there being more post game areas to explore too, like maybe the entire right half of a region? :p),. In many ways they are what Emerald's Altering Cave would be if it actually worked and I think it would be interesting for that to continue to a limited extent. I also would like to see something like Black City and White Forest as well.

Every game has its flaws but just because it is a flaw you don't like doesn't make it officially the worst :/

People have different standards on what they think is a lot and very few. You can give someone a pitcher of water full to the brim and it might not be enough to some. To others, even a teacup is way too much. Same difference, really. The size of ORAS's post-game content seems enough for me, but if it's not for you, then fine. There's no "official" standard for that.

This is why it's important to have a diverse game, so you have something that appeals to everyone. In that sense, you could consider diversity to be an objective measure of quality, if one game appeals to everyone and another only appeals to certain sides of the fanbase, you could say that the former is the better game for appealing to a broader audience.

This is why it's important to have a diverse game, so you have something that appeals to everyone. In that sense, you could consider diversity to be an objective measure of quality, if one game appeals to everyone and another only appeals to certain sides of the fanbase, you could say that the former is the better game for appealing to a broader audience.
If you're talking about ORAS not being diverse, I don't see how. People craved for Hoenn for years and the sales report prove that it's actually the majority of people didn't have a problem with ORAS.

If you're talking about ORAS not being diverse, I don't see how. People craved for Hoenn for years and the sales report prove that it's actually the majority of people didn't have a problem with ORAS.

Not necessarily with ORAS, but in general Pokemon's had this problem recently. They design the game almost completely with casuals in mind (and to a lesser degree, competitive players), they've barely done anything for the people that like exploring since 4th gen. ORAS is better off than most because the region was designed to be more exploreable to begin with, but they certainly didn't do the game any favors in that aspect.

I gave ORAS a lot of crap initially because at the time, I just rolled my eyes at the thought of another remake. A remake of a pair of games that I thought to be the weakest in the series (they weren't bad games but I had more like a "where the hell are my favorite Pokemon in this game!!!" mentality when Ruby and Sapphire came out).

Playing the games, they showed me how much fun they took a concept that already existed and made it better. Not Emerald better, but they gave it a story that was nice to follow and the graphics were gorgeous. I could also listen to the soundtrack for days. A step up from X and Y for sure. So yeah, great games in my opinion. Normally I wouldn't rank remakes higher than the original core games of the generation, but that's what Gen VI was to me.

Because the whole legendary thing was kind of lame and some of the mechanics were kind of dull too.
Well for me I've never had the chance to get those legendaries so it was a huge deal for me.

And a great way to incorporate hoopa

Two words: Fake-Kyushu. Both RSE and ORAS are games that I actually dislike. Actually going for overseas location would have been a lot better for a more internationalised Pokémon, like XY and SM did. Instead, we have a fake-Kyushu. It was bad enough after a region that actually looked like Poke-Japan, and after being a one of the few RPG/Nintendo franchise that was actually an alternate development of real-life Earth. (Like Shin Megami Tensei had been before (and still is), and Yokai Watch would be later.) Even worse when they actually managed to create Poke-France before the remake. XY was worth coming back to; ORAS was worth skipping.

Two words: Fake-Kyushu. Both RSE and ORAS are games that I actually dislike. Actually going for overseas location would have been a lot better for a more internationalised Pokémon, like XY and SM did. Instead, we have a fake-Kyushu. It was bad enough after a region that actually looked like Poke-Japan, and after being a one of the few RPG/Nintendo franchise that was actually an alternate development of real-life Earth. (Like Shin Megami Tensei had been before (and still is), and Yokai Watch would be later.) Even worse when they actually managed to create Poke-France before the remake. XY was worth coming back to; ORAS was worth skipping.
You...You do realize every region before gen 5 was fake poke Japan, hell kanto is literally kanto same name, same with johoto through sinnoh. But at least they changed the geography for the first 4 gens to make the Regions different. But also you're complaining that oras stuck to Kyushu? They're remaking a game from 12 years ago the region is already decided if it's a remake they can't change where it's based on. Secondly fake France fake New York and fake hawaii, sinnoh was its own unique thing hell kanto and hoenn were too, despite being based on real locations they were they own fictional area.

Go fake New York and they try to hard to make make America with characters like clay who is just a cow boy
Fake poke France they took fteances obsession on fashion and made it kalos culture
Fake hawaii 4 islands instead of 8 but pretty much gong for that same tropical feel

Does this mean any of the games suck? No you can't complain where the region is based off of, for the first four gens they focused in Japan because that's where they were from, when unova came out I'm sure NYC fans were happy and Japanese fans didn't care to much. When kalos came out I'm sure French fans were going crazy everyone else was just like that's cool. Basing your hate on a game because a Japanese company decided to base their japanese game on a Japanese area is ludicrous, and then hating the remake for not doing what new games do (going outside of Japan) is also ludicrous considering it's not something they can change in the remakes. It's not like they randomly chose an area of Japan and said "dis one!" As masudas first game he wanted to base it off an area he grew up in and went to regularally. Now it's nice they that go outside of Japan now but if they made say gen 8 based off Tokyo I'd be incredibly interested (have we had poke Tokyo yet?)

Not necessarily with ORAS, but in general Pokemon's had this problem recently. They design the game almost completely with casuals in mind (and to a lesser degree, competitive players), they've barely done anything for the people that like exploring since 4th gen. ORAS is better off than most because the region was designed to be more exploreable to begin with, but they certainly didn't do the game any favors in that aspect.
As for the exploration aspect, seeing how the dungeons and routes are getting easier than the past it seems they're thinking more on the line of players who frequently get on and off the games like they do with mobiles (again, appealing to the casuals). So to continuously grab their attention, they made the routes easier to continue the story and unlock new missions instead of letting them wander aimlessly in a huge forest looking for invisible items on the ground for hours or maybe days. The less frustration, the more likely they'll enjoy the games. Anything too difficult or too lengthy would result in rage-quits.

ORAS could have done with a bigger world - heck, I would have loved a larger forest and more diving areas. But I'm also one who enjoys playing through the story first and save the exploration and treasure hunting for later and end up not doing either after raising a team for the Battle Facility... and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one... XD

As for the exploration aspect, seeing how the dungeons and routes are getting easier than the past it seems they're thinking more on the line of players who frequently get on and off the games like they do with mobiles (again, appealing to the casuals). So to continuously grab their attention, they made the routes easier to continue the story and unlock new missions instead of letting them wander aimlessly in a huge forest looking for invisible items on the ground for hours or maybe days. The less frustration, the more likely they'll enjoy the games. Anything too difficult or too lengthy would result in rage-quits.

Sure, that's all good, but I think Bolt's point (and it's one that I agree with) is that their focus on casual players is becoming insular to the exclusion of people who like more exploration- and puzzle-based elements. There is a way to cater to both - they could include more substantial post-game areas akin to the Battle Zone or eastern Unova, which wouldn't necessarily be forced on casual players.

Sure, that's all good, but I think Bolt's point (and it's one that I agree with) is that their focus on casual players is becoming insular to the exclusion of people who like more exploration- and puzzle-based elements. There is a way to cater to both - they could include more substantial post-game areas akin to the Battle Zone or eastern Unova, which wouldn't necessarily be forced on casual players.
The only thing I can say at this point is: tell GameFreak about that if you want to see improvements in directions you'd want. I know it is certainly frustrating to see features lacking in areas which you'd love more of - but I have a feeling there are sacrifices made trying to appeal to the majority: casuals. And if what you like isn't part of the majority, your complaints on one part of a pokemon community isn't going to have an impact or influence on the next games like all the "Hoenn Confirmed" did. Simply sitting around and complaining that GameFreak could have done this and there were plenty of ways they could have done that won't change anything and you'd be still complaining when the next games are out - chances are a) they don't realize they cut explorations short or b) they already know they cut the exploration features out of the games a lot but since most people don't care about that they decided to keep sacrificing those.

I wouldn't call ORAS the worst remake, no. That goes to FRLG for how it tried too hard to be a strict remake, I still haven't forgiven how we were restricted to only the first 151 before the credits.

FRLG -> ORAS -> HGSS

I wouldn't call ORAS the worst remake, no. That goes to FRLG for how it tried too hard to be a strict remake, I still haven't forgiven how we were restricted to only the first 151 before the credits.

FRLG -> ORAS -> HGSS
Doesn't that also happen with HGSS? I don't remember ever being able to get Glaceon and Leafeon in those games.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom