• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!
  • Hello all! The staff is planning a restructuring to the forums on April 11th. Please see this announcement thread for details.
  • Do you use Discord? Do you like catching Pokémon? Have you heard of Elaria? If you answered yes to the first two, you should give it a go! Professor Tilia is always looking for new people to help fill her Living Dex!

It just so happens she is hosting an event right now, where you could even get your own Pokémon form added into the game! Details can be found over in the Elaria discord server, right here:

Why do you cheat?

never finished Gen. 2
Reaction score
I recently put on my wishlist a GBC Game Shark and a DSi Action Replay. Obvious reason why not stated.

But with all the internet chatter I've come across about how people hate getting hacked Pokemon in trades or going up against someone with All Shiny Legendaries, I have to ask...

Why do YOU cheat?

For me, I only put these devices on there because I know by the time I get the games, I'll be SOL in getting some of the event Pokemon. I like to collect Legendaries. I don't use them, but I like to collect them. (Hmmm, that sounds familiar...) I don't expect to get a 3DS and Black/White before April 10, so I intend to use the AR to obtain a Liberty Pass to unlock that event in the game. Similarly, with the GameShark, I plan to use it to unlock Kurt "giving back" the GS Ball to capture Celebi in the Gen 2 game.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P
Reaction score
For boredom, pranks, and for legendaries. Oh, and for Max Elixirs and master ballz.

never finished Gen. 2
Reaction score
For pranks? Explain, because what would count as a prank hack?

total eclipse of the heart
Reaction score
I cheat because it's fun. D8 Also saves me the trouble of figuring out complicated mathematical formulas and whatnot associated with RNG and IVs/EVs, etc.

Also something I've been doing is purposely making bad Legendary Pokemon and handing them away to people asking for unreasonable trades on GTS. I then send the good legit (and sometimes not-so-legit!) Pokemon to my sister to help her Pokedex out, and release the ones I don't need. :> I can't wait for the Wi-Fi to be back online again. I'll be trying a Truant-ability for all of them next, ohoho...

In short, I cheat and hack simply because it's fun to do. I like having a million of things I'll never need or use. I like knowing that my Platinum party can be both in Shinnoh and Unova at the same time. I get a good laugh when I make Arceus appear and his ominous theme starts playing.

It is pure fun for me, no matter how "bad" hacking is. Because god forbid one can have fun with their games anymore. D8

never finished Gen. 2
Reaction score
Also something I've been doing is purposely making bad Legendary Pokemon and handing them away to people asking for unreasonable trades on GTS. I then send the good legit (and sometimes not-so-legit!) Pokemon to my sister to help her Pokedex out, and release the ones I don't need. :> I can't wait for the Wi-Fi to be back online again. I'll be trying a Truant-ability for all of them next, ohoho...
If I ever start Wi-Fi trading, I'm going to remember this and not ask for legendaries or event Pokemon. XD

Movie Star
Reaction score
i cheat mainly for practicle reasons. I use My AR only for checking IVs and making sure my EVs are right, but nothing else. I neever use it for items, Pokemon or money.

Reaction score
You only get 1 Earthquake TM, but SO many pokemon can learn it. Why Limit it? (Pre Gen 5)

Cohen the Great
Reaction score
Makes it easier to EV train. Oh, and gives you a better selection of items to use for battling, like near infinite air balloons.

Offline for a while
Reaction score
I only cheat after I've finished the game, or have gotten really bored with it. I usually use cheats just to screw around. Like, using Walk-Through-Walls or turning on all Shinies(even though the one I used made EVERYTHING shiny, and only worked as long as the cheat was on). But I never used it for serious reasons.

Now I like Shaymin better
Reaction score
I cheat to walk through walls. That's always fun.

I also cheat to get Pokémon I like, but can't get.

Reaction score
I recently used an AR to get all the items in game and lost my entire game save with hundreds of legit shinys (most that i had chained/RNG'd myself) Never using an AR again.

Reaction score
If I ever start Wi-Fi trading, I'm going to remember this and not ask for legendaries or event Pokemon. XD
Hehe! If it's a legit offer, like Palkia for a Rayquaza, then I don't interfere. But others, they get what they ask for. D8

metal buttez
Reaction score
Hehe! If it's a legit offer, like Palkia for a Rayquaza, then I don't interfere. But others, they get what they ask for. D8
they don't ask for hacked rubbish

if you don't like their requests then you can just ignore them

Fairy Queen
Reaction score
I don't and I do not plan to (I've always seen it as a bit of a cop-out if you haven't completed the game otherwise) - but if I did, I'd probably do it for kicks, and only after I completed the game and 'dex legitimately. My reason now would most likely be to get event Pokemon I'm not able to get to, and I disagree with using hacked/cheated Pokemon in battles and unless everyone is aware and in agreement, I don't think it should be possible to trade them, either.

Glorious Goo
Reaction score
I would only use AR to bypass the tedious and uncontrollable things like Ivs, Natures and Some items like evo stones. But I draw the line there, no impossible pokemon, money, 100% catch, Evs or shiny legendaries.

Reaction score
they don't ask for hacked rubbish

if you don't like their requests then you can just ignore them
It's just my way of dealing with ridiculous trades on GTS. If they want a Mewtwo for a plain old Patrat that badly, they can have one.

DCM

Based Mod
Reaction score
no need to get upset over this. let's keep it cool.

anyways, although I haven't AR'd anything in years, the last time I did it was for all TM's. Which, thankfully, I will never have to do again.

Ur 2 Slow!!
Reaction score
Lazy to breed for IV's and EV train basically.

That and the Walk-through-wall code is pretty fun.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I mainly use the Max Item, fast egg hatch, EV/IV check, and cloning hacks. They help me speed up the breeding and EV training process. I used to SAV Pokemon but I've had a lot of luck with breeding in 5th gen so far, so I don't find a reason to.

I used some other hacks like max money(for daycare) and complete pokedex(helped me find the Pokemon I needed on GTS).

I could have done all of it without hacking, but I honestly am not that patient.