• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you cheat?

I've only used an AR for one purpose; to get the event tickets in FireRed and Emerald, as nothing as ever given away up in Canada. Other than that, I do everything by-the-book.

Fortunately, I'm more mobile these days and can cross the border for an event, if the need arises. And Wi-Fi events help, too.

I don't have an AR or Pokesav, but I asked someone to hack in some event legendaries, because I either completely missed the events, or they were never made available where I live.

Only to "know" what's not explicit for normal playing; IVs, EVs, etc. I don't modify.

And for events I didn't get at time, because I got a DS too late.

Just to have a bit of fun. I never do anything serious with cheats, just silly stuff like hacking shiny F, L, A, M, E and R Unowns to spell out me username.

Would never consider using hacks in any way to help me advance in the game and wouldn't dream of taking them online. That said, I am considering hacking myself a Life Orb on White. After going through all the time saving up BP on Platinum for it, not really looking forward to doing the same in the Battle Subway just because GamFreak won't let you trade over items

Last edited:
Now that I have figured out how my GameShark works, I'm thinking about using it to do some cheats I did in the original games. Mostly the 99 of every TM, but I also hacked Master Balls to save me the frustration of when the Fast Balls miss the Legendary Beasts in Crystal.

And for some reason, I want to hack a Tyroge that knows a Flying, Water, Ground, and Fire move. I think I've been watching Avatar too much...

I only 'cheat' just to get pokemon I couldn't get because of an event thing

I cheat mainly to get pokemon earlier than normal. So I can catch a litwick at Route 1 instead of right before Skyla

I have a cheating device that works on RGB and GSC.
I've only ever used it twice.
Once was to give my boyfriend a ton of Master Balls.
The other was to create a Mew for my boyfriend to show off to his friends.

I want an AR though, mostly so I can get Darkrai in Diamond (I'd be getting the item to unlock him), check stuff, and mess with people >:)

I have an ARDS, and I cheat because it's fun going back and forth with Walk Through Walls enabled (and also cheats that change the camera orientation)!

And for events (Wondercards, Oak's Letter, Azure Flute, etc.).

Mystery Zone > all

to figure out how the games work. i've done work now on all 5 generations now in terms of rng stuff and figuring out how the games work, and having AR codes available makes it so much better than having to patch changes to the rom.

Because EV Training is a bitch on its own.
I only cheat for x999 Vitamins anyway...
Or rather, used to cheat.

Check EV/IV and get events. Also codes to make breeding easier, like fast hatch, instant egg, and Nature/IV modifiers.

EDIT: 250th post!

Last edited:
Because it can be fun and silly. Ever wanted to start a game and use Dunsparce as your starter? Boom. Want it to know Roar of Time? Boom.

It can be fun to just mess around with the games. I wouldn't use any of my hacked Pokés against someone who didn't agree to it though.

In Generation V, the only thing I cheat for is to make every step count as 255 steps, because it can be tedious breeding for Pokémon with good IVs and I personally don't see the point in manipulating the game's random number generation when you could just cheat, though that's just me.

In Generation I and II, I do a lot of RAM hacking, but mainly just for experimentation.

I generated these GameShark codes some time ago, because I couldn't find any documentation on the Internet (except HyperHacker's sound modifier address D35A) and the D059 address which is well known anyway.

Note: US/Europe versions only

0120EFC0, 0120F0C0 and 019F5AD3 Activate when walking through a door to play the unused track: (Yellow only)
01XXE9C0 Modify music tempo (tested in Yellow)
0104D9C5: Always get an unused 750 points bonus in Pikachu's Beach (Yellow only)
010359D0: Battle type is always the "Hurry, get away!" one (Yellow only)

I use my AR to beat a game quickly, if i dont feel like replying it(walk through walls/ 99x pokeballs/ catch trainers pokemon) and then just get the items for the legendaries.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom