• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you cheat?

ZeekSlider

never finished Gen. 2
Reaction score
I recently put on my wishlist a GBC Game Shark and a DSi Action Replay. Obvious reason why not stated.

But with all the internet chatter I've come across about how people hate getting hacked Pokemon in trades or going up against someone with All Shiny Legendaries, I have to ask...

Why do YOU cheat?

For me, I only put these devices on there because I know by the time I get the games, I'll be SOL in getting some of the event Pokemon. I like to collect Legendaries. I don't use them, but I like to collect them. (Hmmm, that sounds familiar...) I don't expect to get a 3DS and Black/White before April 10, so I intend to use the AR to obtain a Liberty Pass to unlock that event in the game. Similarly, with the GameShark, I plan to use it to unlock Kurt "giving back" the GS Ball to capture Celebi in the Gen 2 game.

For boredom, pranks, and for legendaries. Oh, and for Max Elixirs and master ballz.

For pranks? Explain, because what would count as a prank hack?

I cheat because it's fun. D8 Also saves me the trouble of figuring out complicated mathematical formulas and whatnot associated with RNG and IVs/EVs, etc.

Also something I've been doing is purposely making bad Legendary Pokemon and handing them away to people asking for unreasonable trades on GTS. I then send the good legit (and sometimes not-so-legit!) Pokemon to my sister to help her Pokedex out, and release the ones I don't need. :> I can't wait for the Wi-Fi to be back online again. I'll be trying a Truant-ability for all of them next, ohoho...

In short, I cheat and hack simply because it's fun to do. I like having a million of things I'll never need or use. I like knowing that my Platinum party can be both in Shinnoh and Unova at the same time. I get a good laugh when I make Arceus appear and his ominous theme starts playing.

It is pure fun for me, no matter how "bad" hacking is. Because god forbid one can have fun with their games anymore. D8

Also something I've been doing is purposely making bad Legendary Pokemon and handing them away to people asking for unreasonable trades on GTS. I then send the good legit (and sometimes not-so-legit!) Pokemon to my sister to help her Pokedex out, and release the ones I don't need. :> I can't wait for the Wi-Fi to be back online again. I'll be trying a Truant-ability for all of them next, ohoho...

If I ever start Wi-Fi trading, I'm going to remember this and not ask for legendaries or event Pokemon. XD

You only get 1 Earthquake TM, but SO many pokemon can learn it. Why Limit it? (Pre Gen 5)

Makes it easier to EV train. Oh, and gives you a better selection of items to use for battling, like near infinite air balloons.

I only cheat after I've finished the game, or have gotten really bored with it. I usually use cheats just to screw around. Like, using Walk-Through-Walls or turning on all Shinies(even though the one I used made EVERYTHING shiny, and only worked as long as the cheat was on). But I never used it for serious reasons.

I cheat to walk through walls. That's always fun.

I also cheat to get Pokémon I like, but can't get.

I recently used an AR to get all the items in game and lost my entire game save with hundreds of legit shinys (most that i had chained/RNG'd myself) Never using an AR again.

If I ever start Wi-Fi trading, I'm going to remember this and not ask for legendaries or event Pokemon. XD

Hehe! If it's a legit offer, like Palkia for a Rayquaza, then I don't interfere. But others, they get what they ask for. D8

Hehe! If it's a legit offer, like Palkia for a Rayquaza, then I don't interfere. But others, they get what they ask for. D8

they don't ask for hacked rubbish

if you don't like their requests then you can just ignore them

I don't and I do not plan to (I've always seen it as a bit of a cop-out if you haven't completed the game otherwise) - but if I did, I'd probably do it for kicks, and only after I completed the game and 'dex legitimately. My reason now would most likely be to get event Pokemon I'm not able to get to, and I disagree with using hacked/cheated Pokemon in battles and unless everyone is aware and in agreement, I don't think it should be possible to trade them, either.

I would only use AR to bypass the tedious and uncontrollable things like Ivs, Natures and Some items like evo stones. But I draw the line there, no impossible pokemon, money, 100% catch, Evs or shiny legendaries.

they don't ask for hacked rubbish

if you don't like their requests then you can just ignore them

It's just my way of dealing with ridiculous trades on GTS. If they want a Mewtwo for a plain old Patrat that badly, they can have one.

no need to get upset over this. let's keep it cool.

anyways, although I haven't AR'd anything in years, the last time I did it was for all TM's. Which, thankfully, I will never have to do again.

Lazy to breed for IV's and EV train basically.

That and the Walk-through-wall code is pretty fun.

I mainly use the Max Item, fast egg hatch, EV/IV check, and cloning hacks. They help me speed up the breeding and EV training process. I used to SAV Pokemon but I've had a lot of luck with breeding in 5th gen so far, so I don't find a reason to.

I used some other hacks like max money(for daycare) and complete pokedex(helped me find the Pokemon I needed on GTS).

I could have done all of it without hacking, but I honestly am not that patient.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom