• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you guys want regular evolutions over megas

Well then, they could change it so you only need 2 hearts in Amie. Or heck, only 1. Just some kind of effort to get the reward.

It worries me how lazy this fandom is becoming. I do not aim that at anyone in particular before people start getting angry, haha. I simply have concerns - backed up with what Masuda said about not including the Frontier because players apparently have the attention span of a paperclip these days - that those who play these games to the full are slowly being outnumbered by people who pick up the games for novelty value, win a few badges, collect a few Pokemon, and drop the games for the latest new and shiny thing. Now to clarify - we can all play Pokemon however we want. There is nothing wrong with casual playing. But these games should not start to become tailored to casual players. Pokemon has always been child-friendly and accessible, and yet also appealed to the hardcore collector geeks because it encourages the gotta catch em all, gotta train em all, gotta win all the badges, explore every cave, get every item theme. Strive for perfection. Train your Pokemon's EVs to the full and win a ribbon. Fill up your dex and earn a certificate. etc etc. Pokemon rewards the obsessive player who invests time, and always has. I don't want it to start rewarding the casual player, because then where's the incentive to put in the effort? I don't want amazing powerful mechanics like Mega Evolution given to me on a silver platter. I don't want Gamefreak to just tell me that to unlock that power I must have a strong bond with my Pokemon - I want them to show me.

I take your point about not wanting to spend hours on it, of course, because there's a difference between challenging players and driving them crazy! But surely there's a happy medium that you be implemented where you at least have to spend *some* time with your Pokemon to earn Mega Evolution. Gamefreak attempting to adhere to their own canon is literally all I ask.

Pretty sure that I already said this way earlier in the thread, but ME isn't for casual players - it's for competitive players. If you go back and read my posts from a while ago I explain it in detail but the gist of it is that ME acts as a "buff" to Pokemon that were either bad to begin with or who simply couldn't keep up with the power creep that's occurred each generation, AND it acts as an additional level of strategy and complexity in battle due to its unique mechanics such as a Pokemon potentially changing its ability and type midbattle

Alright I get that u don't dig competitive and that's cool, but I'ma need to clarify:

I never said any of the stuff about a Pokémon "needing" a Mega, those are your words that you are adding to my mouth lol. I said that if a bad Pokémon gets a Mega, then it may rise several tiers. Not that all bad pokes need megas in order to fit into the tier system - that doesn't even make sense, the tier system sorts Pokemon into groups by how good they are - no matter how shitty a Pokémon is, it will fit into the tier system (the tier called PU, to be precise, which is a fun and perfectly legit metagame to play in).

You IMPLIED that it would take gaining a Mega to make a particular Pokemon competitive in your Tier System.
Means the same thing.

Secondly, bro. I didn't name NU. It's been called that for as long as it has existed. Be reasonable lol.

And I didn't say YOU named it.
I Said that you adhere to it as if it were the definitive measure of what makes Pokemon Playable.

Lastly, here's the bottom line: Tiers are for competitive players. Nintendo has done a shoddy job of balancing its game - if you go to the official Nintendo VGC tournament, u see things like this:

Wow, such diversity!

Such "diversity" thanks to the introduction of Megas.... Imagine that.

Competitive Players will ALWAYS gravitate towards the most powerful and most efficient means to win.

Adding MORE Megas aren't never going to change that. It won't change the "diversity" problems.
It'll just change WHICH of the SAME Pokemon in your lineup.

On the other hand, Smogon has created a group of independent but interconnected metagames via the tier system in which almost every single Pokemon has a home where it can be used to some degree of viability.

So, here's my point: if u don't like competitive play, that's cool. Just don't throw around words like "overpowered" because that is a term for competitive players, and you are objectively wrong if you say any Mega besides Gengar, Luke, Mawile, Kanga, or Mence caused that pokemon to become broken.

"Overpowered" isn't just a term for competitive players. They're just the one who abuse it.

But for the power you get from kyurem to black/white kyurem, you don't spent a lot of time and effort on them.

Actually, yes you do. You Play through the Storyline of the game, battle your way through countless badies, and then have to best the head villain to finally get Kyurem.

But, yeah you're are right about one thing. That is STILL too easy.

I understand why you would be mad at this, however, like @Peachy said earlier, raising affection in Amie is cute at first but then it just becomes a chore.

I didn't see anybody being happy about being forced to participate in contests and collect 1000 flags to get the lucarionite and garchompite(respectively) in ORAS, being forced to play Amie to get 40+ mega evolutions would just cause an uproar.

No you shouldn't. Being forced to artificially grind for 40+ hours in amie isn't a good thing, it's simply annoying and dump, period.

You should spend as much time on your Pokemon as what they're worth to you.

If You only want to level one Pokemon in Amie (since you can only use one Mega Pokemon ANYWAY), So be it.
If you want to Level 40+, well you can do that too. But you're going to have to work for it.

And THAT wouldn't "cause an uproar."
It didn't "cause an uproar" when Friendship was introduced.
It didn't "cause an uproar" when Eggs were introduced.
It didn't "cause an uproar" when the C-gear and all of it's functions (especially Dream World) were introduced.

MOST Players understand that hard work rewards them.
But there do seam to be those who are too lazy and want everything just GIVEN to them....

And what do you mean "artificially grind?" What is so artificial about having to raise you Pokemon the way they should be raised?

You IMPLIED that it would take gaining a Mega to make a particular Pokemon competitive in your Tier System.
Means the same thing.

And I didn't say YOU named it.
I Said that you adhere to it as if it were the definitive measure of what makes Pokemon Playable.

Such "diversity" thanks to the introduction of Megas.... Imagine that.

Competitive Players will ALWAYS gravitate towards the most powerful and most efficient means to win.

Adding MORE Megas aren't never going to change that. It won't change the "diversity" problems.
It'll just change WHICH of the SAME Pokemon in your lineup.

"Overpowered" isn't just a term for competitive players. They're just the one who abuse it.

Lol, u still seem to not understand the tier system. If I am playing in NU, then every Pokemon who is an a tier that is above NU is banned. So Pokemon like Tauros, Swellow, and Floatzel - who are bad Pokemon - are highly competitive when playing that tier. Getting a mega would NOT make them more competitive, it would cause them to change tiers. Like Charizard is an A rank viability Pokemon in NeverUsed, whereas Mega Charizard X is an A+ rank viability Pokemon in Overused. The two metagames are entirely different.

It is what makes Pokemon playable. If we only had 1 metagame - like the official Nintendo VGCs - then only the best of the best Pokemon would be used. "Competitive Players will ALWAYS gravitate towards the most powerful and most efficient means to win," as you yourself said. That means that Pokemon like Lilligant, Archeops, Barbaracle, Aggron, Blastoise, Steelix... More than 90% of all Pokemon would be literally unplayable. However, THANKS TO THE TIER SYSTEM, every single fully evolved Pokemon, some middle stages, and every single first stage Pokemon - the vast majority of all 718 Pokemon - IS PLAYABLE in AT LEAST ONE, often more, metagames.

Adding Megas DOES add diversity - the reason the VGCs are such a joke is because Nintendo is ass at balancing Pokemon. Mega Kanghaskhan and Mega Mence are both broken beyond belief, so if you're not using them, you're doing something wrong. If you're playing a REAL competitive metagame, such as OU, diversity abounds - MSableye, MCharizard (both of them), MMetagross, MLopunny, MMedicham, MDiancie, MAlakazam, MScizor, MGardevoir, MGyarados, MLatias, MVenusaur, MAerodactyl, MManectric, MAltaria, MPinsir, MSlowbro, MHeracross, MBeedrill, MGallade, MGarchomp, MSharpedo, Mswampert, MPidgeot, MTyranitar, MSceptile, MAmpharos, MBlastoise, MAggron, MBanette, MHoundoom, AND MAbsol can ALL be used to some degree of viability. 33 is a bigger number than 2, in case you hadn't noticed.

Overpowered means that it is too strong relative to the rest of the game. It is literally a competitive term for competitive players. If the enemies who use Megas in game are so "overpowered" that you had trouble, that's a you problem

Pretty sure that I already said this way earlier in the thread, but ME isn't for casual players - it's for competitive players. If you go back and read my posts from a while ago I explain it in detail but the gist of it is that ME acts as a "buff" to Pokemon that were either bad to begin with or who simply couldn't keep up with the power creep that's occurred each generation, AND it acts as an additional level of strategy and complexity in battle due to its unique mechanics such as a Pokemon potentially changing its ability and type midbattle

In that case you'd think competitive players, who already spend hours breeding for perfect IVs and natures, and training for EVs, wouldn't mind 5 extra minutes spent in Amie to create this so-called bond with their Pokemon? :p

You should spend as much time on your Pokemon as what they're worth to you.
You already have to spent time on breeding and levelling up your pokemon. How much more time fo you want to spent on your pokemon?????
And THAT wouldn't "cause an uproar."
It didn't "cause an uproar" when Friendship was introduced.
It didn't "cause an uproar" when Eggs were introduced.
It didn't "cause an uproar" when the C-gear and all of it's functions (especially Dream World) were introduced.
Comparibn friendship breeding ect... is really not the same situation as getting mega evolutions through pokemon amie.

Instead, you should compare it to getting the lucarionite and garchomptite in ORAS. Like i said earlier, they were a lot of complaints about them, How do you think they'll react if they were forced to play in pokemon amie to get 40+ mega evolutions?

MOST Players understand that hard work rewards them.
I'll repeat what i said earlier then:
Icy Wind said:
Being forced to artificially grind for 40+ hours in amie isn't a good thing, it'simply annoying and dump, period.

But there do seam to be those who are too lazy and want everything just GIVEN to them....
Uh? Mega evolutions aren't just "given" to us. FYI, the only time we're "given" mega evolutions is when prof.sycamore gives you the Kanto starters, when you battle Korrina at the tower of mastery, and when Steven gives you the latiosite/latiasite and the hoenn stones. Otherwise, in both XY and ORAS, you have to look for every mega stones. Finding mega stones is essentialy like finding tms.
And what do you mean "artificially grind?" What is so artificial about having to raise you Pokemon the way they should be raised?
By "arificial" i meant being unnaturally forced to grind for an extentive amount of time. And "should" be raised? So if i don't like playing in amie, i'm raising my pokemon in a "wrong" way?

Last edited:
being forced to play Amie to get 40+ mega evolutions would just cause an uproar.... Being forced to artificially grind for 40+ hours in amie isn't a good thing, it's simply annoying and dumb, period.
I wouldn't mind seeing Affection become part of the Mega Evolution mechanic, but it's too late to fix it now since we've already got the lazier method available to us. Amie is strangely relaxing when you're playing Amie for the sake of playing Amie, and it's a good-enough time sink when you just spent two hours printing and mailing preforeclosure notices to delinquent mortgagors and only have fifteen minutes of break time before you have to do that some more.

When playing in a lower tier competition, higher tier pokemon are forbidden. You do know that, right? If I'm playing by Smogon's G6 UU Tier rules, I'm permitted to use Gallade but not Mega Gallade because Mega Gallade is in a higher tier. Similarly, if I'm playing Ubers (the traditional Overpowered 'mons tier) I'm allowed Rayquaza but not Mega Rayquaza, as Mega Rayquaza is in a higher tier. The tiers don't exist to say "This pokemon is the best", the tiers exist to create limits on what can and can't be used at any given time.

Which is, admittedly, a tacit "this pokemon is better than that one" system, but any tier other than Ubers is based on usage rates rather than actual power. If everyone on Smogon decided "Hey, I'm going to start putting Ditto on every team I run," you'll see Ditto shoot up to OU pretty quickly.

If you want a better look at how Smogon's Tiers work, Durant was recently moved upwards in tiers because he was too frequently seen in Rarely-Used tournament play.

TheCableGuy said:
Eh, potato potato. I personally try to beat CPU Megas without using Megas of my own, and in fact my past two Y teams haven't had any Y Megas on them. (I had a Salamence on Y before my 3ds got wiped, but Salamencite isn't in Y. I looked >.>). Since I generally only look at Smogon when I'm planning my next ingame team, I generally don't pay attention to Ubers (which is usually where the Overpowered 'mons reside).

In that case you'd think competitive players, who already spend hours breeding for perfect IVs and natures, and training for EVs, wouldn't mind 5 extra minutes spent in Amie to create this so-called bond with their Pokemon? :p
Quoted for truth.

Last edited:

U realize competitive players play on Pokemon showdown instead of wasting time doing all that, right?

And when they do play on cart, 99% use PokeSav or PokeGen.

U realize competitive players play on Pokemon showdown instead of wasting time doing all that, right?

And when they do play on cart, 99% use PokeSav or PokeGen.

I'm talking about people who buy the games and play them legally and legitimately. I don't waste my time even thinking about people who don't. (And frankly I'm not even the slightest bit interested in competitive play and its norms, even though I personally breed for IVs and train for EVs for my own enjoyment.)

Frankly if someone thinks that playing the game the way the developers intended it is 'wasting time' maybe it's not the game for them. Just sayin'.

I'm just gonna chime in here...I feel like this topic keeps getting brought up and things don't always mesh as it's pretty broad.

-Glory Blaze- is clarifying that for those whose main pursuit in the game is battling they find their time better spent focused on battling so that they can stay ahead of the curve. That being said, battle simulators and other methods of acquiring the Pokemon they need to practice and battle would be suited for them so they can devote their time figuring out the meta.

I'm more of a breeder myself so I'd say I lean more towards your line of thinking @LadySasaki but at the same time that doesn't mean we can just ignore how Pokemon function competitively. Much like how you contend that breeding is part of the experience, battling is as well. While there isn't a required level of awareness for either acquiring more information is always a plus.

While it can be argued that battlers/breeders miss out on other experiences of the game because of this it's up to the individual how they play the game and enjoy themselves. There are better trainers (breeders AND battlers) than me out there but that shouldn't lessen personal enjoyment of the games. And while there are appropriate ways to approach breeding and battling we can't downplay people for enjoying things as they do.
-------------------------
As for the topic in the OP, as long as they introduce more variety I'm happy. That probably leans towards having more evolutions but if they come up with a Mega...Sudowoodo or something that works too. I've always liked Mawile's design so it was nice it got the spotlight.

Multiple Posting
Lol, u still seem to not understand the tier system. If I am playing in NU, then every Pokemon who is an a tier that is above NU is banned. So Pokemon like Tauros, Swellow, and Floatzel - who are bad Pokemon - are highly competitive when playing that tier. Getting a mega would NOT make them more competitive, it would cause them to change tiers. Like Charizard is an A rank viability Pokemon in NeverUsed, whereas Mega Charizard X is an A+ rank viability Pokemon in Overused. The two metagames are entirely different.

It is what makes Pokemon playable. If we only had 1 metagame - like the official Nintendo VGCs - then only the best of the best Pokemon would be used. "Competitive Players will ALWAYS gravitate towards the most powerful and most efficient means to win," as you yourself said. That means that Pokemon like Lilligant, Archeops, Barbaracle, Aggron, Blastoise, Steelix... More than 90% of all Pokemon would be literally unplayable. However, THANKS TO THE TIER SYSTEM, every single fully evolved Pokemon, some middle stages, and every single first stage Pokemon - the vast majority of all 718 Pokemon - IS PLAYABLE in AT LEAST ONE, often more, metagames.

Adding Megas DOES add diversity - the reason the VGCs are such a joke is because Nintendo is ass at balancing Pokemon. Mega Kanghaskhan and Mega Mence are both broken beyond belief, so if you're not using them, you're doing something wrong. If you're playing a REAL competitive metagame, such as OU, diversity abounds - MSableye, MCharizard (both of them), MMetagross, MLopunny, MMedicham, MDiancie, MAlakazam, MScizor, MGardevoir, MGyarados, MLatias, MVenusaur, MAerodactyl, MManectric, MAltaria, MPinsir, MSlowbro, MHeracross, MBeedrill, MGallade, MGarchomp, MSharpedo, Mswampert, MPidgeot, MTyranitar, MSceptile, MAmpharos, MBlastoise, MAggron, MBanette, MHoundoom, AND MAbsol can ALL be used to some degree of viability. 33 is a bigger number than 2, in case you hadn't noticed.

Overpowered means that it is too strong relative to the rest of the game. It is literally a competitive term for competitive players. If the enemies who use Megas in game are so "overpowered" that you had trouble, that's a you problem

And what you don't seam to realize is that you are arguing for a need for "Diversity" to solve a problem that wasn't problem prior to the introduction of Megas.

You are Literally doing a Circular argument, in which Megas are "needed to add Diversity" because Megas were introduced, which CAUSED the lack of Diversity you're complaining about.
But Because Megas exist, you now want More Megas to be introduced to counter the imbalance created the first time.
But guess what! That's not going to fix anything.

FYI, Prior to the introduction of Megas, All of those Pokemon were completely playable AND competitive, Regardless of where YOU think they fall in your silly Tier system.
It wasn't until Megas were introduced that 90% of all final stage Pokemon were Left in the Dust Bin of your tier system.

Megas were a completely unnecessary addition to the Metagame; A "fix" to a problem that didn't exist.

You already have to spent time on breeding and levelling up your pokemon. How much more time fo you want to spent on your pokemon?????

Exactly. How much DO you want to spend on your Pokemon?

Comparibn friendship breeding ect... is really not the same situation as getting mega evolutions through pokemon amie.

Actually, it is. It's a new mechanic that rewards you for your effort.

Instead, you should compare it to getting the lucarionite and garchomptite in ORAS. Like i said earlier, they were a lot of complaints about them, How do you think they'll react if they were forced to play in pokemon amie to get 40+ mega evolutions?

You're the only one suggesting doing it for 40+ Pokemon.
I'm only suggesting doing it for 1.
Anything Beyond that is up to the player.

Why would anyone be upset about that?

Uh? Mega evolutions aren't just "given" to us. FYI, the only time we're "given" mega evolutions is when prof.sycamore gives you the Kanto starters, when you battle Korrina at the tower of mastery, and when Steven gives you the latiosite/latiasite and the hoenn stones. Otherwise, in both XY and ORAS, you have to look for every mega stones. Finding mega stones is essentialy like finding tms.

Again with that "Only Time" jazz....? Only time this and Only time that....
Sure are a Lot of occations for something that has an "Only Time"....
Add them all together and this Game is nothing but "Only Times..."

But stop pretending to be so obtuse. You know exactly what I meant.
You get Mega Evolutions with barely ANY effort at all.

ALL you need is the Bracelet and the stones.
The first is Given to you and, like you said, the stones are as easy as finding TMs.....
(and I use the word "find" loosely since all you have to do is look them up, know where they are and go and get them..)

By "arificial" i meant being unnaturally forced to grind for an extentive amount of time. And "should" be raised? So if i don't like playing in amie, i'm raising my pokemon in a "wrong" way?

Grinding is never "Artificial." It's about as real as this game gets.
But There is nothing more artificial then Mega Evolution.

When playing in a lower tier competition, higher tier pokemon are forbidden. You do know that, right? If I'm playing by Smogon's G6 UU Tier rules, I'm permitted to use Gallade but not Mega Gallade because Mega Gallade is in a higher tier. Similarly, if I'm playing Ubers (the traditional Overpowered 'mons tier) I'm allowed Rayquaza but not Mega Rayquaza, as Mega Rayquaza is in a higher tier. The tiers don't exist to say "This pokemon is the best", the tiers exist to create limits on what can and can't be used at any given time.

Which is, admittedly, a tacit "this pokemon is better than that one" system, but any tier other than Ubers is based on usage rates rather than actual power. If everyone on Smogon decided "Hey, I'm going to start putting Ditto on every team I run," you'll see Ditto shoot up to OU pretty quickly.

If you want a better look at how Smogon's Tiers work, Durant was recently moved upwards in tiers because he was too frequently seen in Rarely-Used tournament play..

I do understand the Tier system just fine. I just disagree with it.
I don't even have a problem with it's use or those who play by it.

I DO have a Problem with the circular reasoning of those who use the Tier System to justify the existence of Megas to Justify the use of the Tier System....
-Glory Blaze- brought up the Tier system as his reasoning as to why Megas are "Necessary" and I disputed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
And what you don't seam to realize is that you are arguing for a need for "Diversity" to solve a problem that wasn't problem prior to the introduction of Megas.

You are Literally doing a Circular argument, in which Megas are "needed to add Diversity" because Megas were introduced, which CAUSED the lack of Diversity you're complaining about.
But Because Megas exist, you now want More Megas to be introduced to counter the imbalance created the first time.
But guess what! That's not going to fix anything.

FYI, Prior to the introduction of Megas, All of those Pokemon were completely playable AND competitive, Regardless of where YOU think they fall in your silly Tier system.
It wasn't until Megas were introduced that 90% of all final stage Pokemon were Left in the Dust Bin of your tier system.

Megas were a completely unnecessary addition to the Metagame; A "fix" to a problem that didn't exist.

Prior to XY diversity was still an issue:
DgL6em3.jpg
Notice how 3/5 teams have Conk, 3/5 have Heatran, 2/5 have Tornadus, 2/5 have landorus-t, 2/5 have Scrafty, 2/5 have jellicent, 2/5 have tyranitar, 2/5 have latios, 2/5 have abomasnow, 2/5 have have cresselia.

Tiers have existed for a long time, well before XY. And ever since RBY some pokemon have ben bad - Butterfree springs to mind. Not a single Pokemon I mentioned has ever been good, period.

There is no dust bin in the tier system. Every tier is a playable and unique metagame that is equal to every other metagame.

I never said I wanted more megas to "counter an imbalance" - I said that megas add complexity to the game and that they are a good thing. I also said that only like 5 of them are broken, and under Smogon rules, they are already banned. So listen carefully: THERE IS NO IMBALANCE. THE GAME IS BALANCED. If they make no new megas, the game will stay that way: balanced.

Unnecessary? Yes. They were not needed. But they were not added to "fix" anything, they were added to add a fun new mechanic that increases the game's depth. If somebody offers your entire group of friends ice cream, you don't say "That's unnecessary! We don't need that!" - it's a nice little bonus treat. If you don't want it, don't take it, but it makes the majority of people happy.

I do understand the Tier system just fine. I just disagree with it.
I don't even have a problem with it's use or those who play by it.

I DO have a Problem with the circular reasoning of those who use the Tier System to justify the existence of Megas to Justify the use of the Tier System....
-Glory Blaze- brought up the Tier system as his reasoning as to why Megas are "Necessary" and I disputed that.

I resent you putting these words into my mouth since I said nothing of the sort. I said Megas enhance the game, not that they are necessary. And I said that the tier system allows you to play without megas if u don't like them - not that tiers make megas necessary. Megas are a lot like seat warmers in cars - you don't need them but they're nice to have and there's no reason to hate on them since if you don't like them you can just not use them.

Exactly. How much DO you want to spend on your Pokemon?
...............?

I said that you already have to breed, level up your mons ect... Why do you want to spent even more time on pokemon amie to get mega evolutions?

You're the only one suggesting doing it for 40+ Pokemon.
I'm only suggesting doing it for 1.
Your previous posts in this thread:

I'm thinking, first introduce an actual system to determine your (supposed) personal connection with your Pokemon. (Something like the Pokemon-Amie System)
Then you'll have to Build up your Trust and Connection with your Chosen Pokemon.
But, an interesting addition to the game is something I thought of during my Pokemon-Amie Training.
Periodically, when your Pokemon's Closeness to you is high-enough, they'll interact with you during Combat.
What if we expanded this into a virtual interactive game that you're Pokemon will MEvolve when they are ready to (like you'd expect them too.)
There is 48 pokemon that can mega evolve. You're the one who is suggesting to use pokemon-amie as means to get mega evolution.
But stop pretending to be so obtuse. You know exactly what I meant.
You get Mega Evolutions with barely ANY effort at all.
There's a big difference between what's genuinely challenging and monotony. Ghetsis's hydreignon is genuinely challenging. Being forced to use pokemon amie to get 48 mega evolutions doesn't make getting mega evolutions harder. It just make them more annoying to get. Annoying=/= Hard.
Grinding is never "Artificial." It's about as real as this game gets.
Reread my post please:
By "arificial" i meant being unnaturally forced to grind for an extentive amount of time.
Grinding isn't what's ''artificial''. It's grinding for an extentive amount of time that's ''artificial''.

There is 48 pokemon that can mega evolve. You're the one who is suggesting to use pokemon-amie as means to get mega evolution.
In fairness, TheCableGuy probably expects players to specialize in one mega. To pick one Mega and stick with it. It's only a chore if you're actively doing it for all 48 Mega Evolution-capable pokémon. For a casual player, it's perfectly reasonable to say "Here, if you want your pokémon to Mega Evolve, spend some time in Pokémon-amie" because we're not after all 48 Megas.

^ It is perfectly understandable. Even it is for more like up to 5~10, it is not really too much trouble to maximize Affection in Poke-Amie.

BTW, I really need to ask, currently in XY/ORAS, how many players had ever tried to utilize more than a few selected Megas of one's choice? Not only during pre- and post-game, but including online competitive battle as well, how many players had ever tried in constantly switching Megas such that all current 48 Megas (if not all, then at least all the obtainable ones had ever obtained during one's gameplay) had MEvolved at least in one battle?

I really doubt any player had ever tried to utilized every single Mega in existence in one gameplay. The game encourages players to collect the Mega Stones, but unfortunately it is not encouraging ones to utilize the Mega Evolutions. So IMO, having a lot of immediately MEable pokemons is not much difference from having only 1~2 MEable pokemons in one's arsenal. Because at the end of the day, players will mostly likely only select a few that is to be utilize all the way from start to end.

In that case, I really wouldn't mind at all that ME mechanics is to be incorporate with the Poke-Amie or any other similar bonding mechanics in the future games. That will rather encourages the player to stick to only a few selected ME pokemons, which is IMO it is ethically speaking better than deceivingly seeming to "bond" with whole bunch of them when you don't meant to be and not going to utilize their Megas anyway.

Of course, if there exist such perfectionist hardcore collectors that can only be satisfy by having everything, both the Mega Stone and ME pokemons that are always ready to ME, then that shall be your own problem in spending thousands of playing hours in Poke-Amie to suit one's collectomania.
And one thing for sure, it is that I don't like Pokemon main series game became a game orientated to collectomaniac players.

^ It is perfectly understandable. Even it is for more like up to 5~10, it is not really too much trouble to maximize Affection in Poke-Amie.

BTW, I really need to ask, currently in XY/ORAS, how many players had ever tried to utilize more than a few selected Megas of one's choice? Not only during pre- and post-game, but including online competitive battle as well, how many players had ever tried in constantly switching Megas such that all current 48 Megas (if not all, then at least all the obtainable ones had ever obtained during one's gameplay) had MEvolved at least in one battle?

I really doubt any player had ever tried to utilized every single Mega in existence in one gameplay. The game encourages players to collect the Mega Stones, but unfortunately it is not encouraging ones to utilize the Mega Evolutions. So IMO, having a lot of immediately MEable pokemons is not much difference from having only 1~2 MEable pokemons in one's arsenal. Because at the end of the day, players will mostly likely only select a few that is to be utilize all the way from start to end.

In that case, I really wouldn't mind at all that ME mechanics is to be incorporate with the Poke-Amie or any other similar bonding mechanics in the future games. That will rather encourages the player to stick to only a few selected ME pokemons, which is IMO it is ethically speaking better than deceivingly seeming to "bond" with whole bunch of them when you don't meant to be and not going to utilize their Megas anyway.

Of course, if there exist such perfectionist hardcore collectors that can only be satisfy by having everything, both the Mega Stone and ME pokemons that are always ready to ME, then that shall be your own problem in spending thousands of playing hours in Poke-Amie to suit one's collectomania.
And one thing for sure, it is that I don't like Pokemon main series game became a game orientated to collectomaniac players.

Although I can't speak for all competitive players obviously, I know many people, including myself, often like to test out new teams and play around with new strategies based on the different Mega Evolutions. Personally it would get rather boring fast if I had to use the same team/mega the whole time, so the ability to easily change things up every now and then is quite welcome and appreciated in my opinion. Again, this brings up the dichotomy between how people think the game should be played and how people do play the game. There isn't necessarily one way to play the games, and this applies even more so in the post-game. Pokemon being as diverse as it is in terms of game mechanics, content, themes, customizability, etc is a virtue of the games and provides numerous opportunities for players of all kinds to enjoy the games as they'd like. That's why I think anything the developers can do to facilitate this freedom of exploration will be beneficial.

Honestly, the reasons I don't want the Mega Evolutions to require at least more than two hearts (or rather any hearts at all) is that I'd like to be able to 100% the Pokedex (yes, I include the formes and all that with the exception of Shinies as they're luck-based) AND to be able to try out various teams in either story or competitive without having to spend so much time getting the hearts - as there's hatching eggs/catching and training already.

Aside from that... It'd go against Game Freak wanting to make the games accessible to people of all ages - that includes people who don't have much time because of school, college, work, and other stuff. And it's already too late to change it. At most they can introduce another type of evolution that requires Pokemon-Amie.

Last edited:
The reason for normal evolutions as opposed to megas is quite simple.

When a Pokemon gets a mega, it reaches its maximum viability. It can't get any stronger after that. They'll never tack on stage 2 megas or some dumb crap like that.

Think of Pokemon like Sneasel and Togetic, Magmar, Electabuzz, Tangela, all decent Pokemon in their days but they were getting overshadowed, the Gen IV evolutions they got were absolute game changers. Not all of these are good examples, some of them still aren't viable and I think that's when a Pokemon needs a mega. Pokemon need to get 2 or 3 stage evolutions before getting megas. For example, Absol has always been a fan favorite for getting an evolution but they gave him a mega instead. His mega is UU and having a mega means he's reached his peak of viability. He can't get any better now. Now, if they had given him his mega or something similar to it as a normal evolution, he might be OU for not taking up a mega spot, and if not, they could've given his evolution a mega which for sure could've been OU.

I'm looking through the current OU tier right now and I see Pokemon like Azumarill, Gliscor, Magnezone, and Weavile. These are all Gen III or Gen IV evolutions of Gen I or II Pokemon that are successful because they got that evolution buff without it taking up a mega spot. megas have to be REALLY good to be worth using. That's why you only see a handful used, because a lot of Pokemon that were given megas still aren't good enough to be worth it. They needed normal evolutions first to be considered usable alongside other megas, which that alone might make them more competitive, and if that still doesn't work then it's evolution could get the mega.

Prior to XY diversity was still an issue:Notice how 3/5 teams have Conk, 3/5 have Heatran, 2/5 have Tornadus, 2/5 have landorus-t, 2/5 have Scrafty, 2/5 have jellicent, 2/5 have tyranitar, 2/5 have latios, 2/5 have abomasnow, 2/5 have have cresselia.

Tiers have existed for a long time, well before XY. And ever since RBY some pokemon have ben bad - Butterfree springs to mind. Not a single Pokemon I mentioned has ever been good, period.

There is no dust bin in the tier system. Every tier is a playable and unique metagame that is equal to every other metagame.

I never said I wanted more megas to "counter an imbalance" - I said that megas add complexity to the game and that they are a good thing. I also said that only like 5 of them are broken, and under Smogon rules, they are already banned. So listen carefully: THERE IS NO IMBALANCE. THE GAME IS BALANCED. If they make no new megas, the game will stay that way: balanced.

Unnecessary? Yes. They were not needed. But they were not added to "fix" anything, they were added to add a fun new mechanic that increases the game's depth. If somebody offers your entire group of friends ice cream, you don't say "That's unnecessary! We don't need that!" - it's a nice little bonus treat. If you don't want it, don't take it, but it makes the majority of people happy.

I resent you putting these words into my mouth since I said nothing of the sort. I said Megas enhance the game, not that they are necessary. And I said that the tier system allows you to play without megas if u don't like them - not that tiers make megas necessary. Megas are a lot like seat warmers in cars - you don't need them but they're nice to have and there's no reason to hate on them since if you don't like them you can just not use them.

Lets just agree to disagree. You have your opinions and you're welcome to them.

But that doesn't excuse the fact that Game Freak screwed up the entire system and game in it's entirety with the introduction of Megas.
And it's a screw up that's only going to get worse.... Mark my words.

...............?

I said that you already have to breed, level up your mons ect... Why do you want to spent even more time on pokemon amie to get mega evolutions?

Because you SHOULD have to spend time on something to be rewarded for it.

Your previous posts in this thread:

Oh Yes. A little time playing a game get something as Powerful as a Super-Charged Pokemon.....
How "Horrible.":rolleyes:

There's a big difference between what's genuinely challenging and monotony. Ghetsis's hydreignon is genuinely challenging. Being forced to use pokemon amie to get 48 mega evolutions doesn't make getting mega evolutions harder. It just make them more annoying to get. Annoying=/= Hard.

ONE Pokemon.... ONE. Not 48....

Reread my post please:

Grinding isn't what's ''artificial''. It's grinding for an extentive amount of time that's ''artificial''.

Oh My Arceus... They ALREADY Made it so Easy in this game to Level up you Pokemon and you're STILL complaining...
What more do you want? That should should just start GIVING you level 100 Fully EV Trained Pokemon??

Look. I'll grant you that they could work on Post Game Material a little more to make Leveling you Pokemon a little bit more enjoyable (X/Y particularly had absolutely ZERO Post-Game Content.)
But You have GOT to be kidding me. You seriously don't want to spend 10 Mins (Optional, I might add) in mini-game.....

I wonder how you'd feel about them making it MANDATORY...... Like the whole Mega Evolution Crap that I started my Rant on.
At least, if they Made it a Part of Amie, then it would be OPTIONAL..... But no, That's too much "Work" for some.

Because you SHOULD have to spend time on something to be rewarded for it.
There is enough time to spent on our pokrmin. End of story.
Oh Yes. A little time playing a game get something as Powerful as a Super-Charged Pokemon.....
How "Horrible.":rolleyes:
Ok, i'm sorry, but i don't think you even understands mega evolution. Mega evolutions are just a temporary 100(90 in alakazam's case) base stat boost to every pokemon who can have them. They're essentialy comparable to form changes like Hoopa-U, and yet we don't have to play a minigame to get these forms. Why exactly would mega evolution be any different?
ONE Pokemon.... ONE. Not 48....
So you seriously expect that people are going to specialize in one mega? This can't be serious.
At least, if they Made it a Part of Amie, then it would be OPTIONAL..... But no, That's too much "Work" for some.
Nope. If they made mega evolution part of Amie, then it would have been mandatory to use Amie to get mega evolution.

Here's the bottom line: If you want pokemon Amie to be used to get mega evolution, that's cool. But just know that excessive grinding is something not a lot of people like. There's no point in going in circles about this.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom