• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you love or hate a pokémon?

KenzeyEevee

Be kind and change the world!
Reaction score
Everyone has at least one pokemon that he or she doesn't like. My question is: has your view on a certain pokemon changed due the animé?

When I watched the anime as a kid, I really didn't like Charmeleon/Charizard due to the way Ash's Charmeleon/Charizard was portrayed. I thought he was very ungrateful to Ash for causing him to lose the league, after he went out of his way to save his life back when he was a whimpy little Charmander.

I also didn't like Mr. Mime, its design used to freak me out as a kid.

As for Pokemon that I did like due to the anime, that would be Totodile. It was always shown in the anime to be happy, friendly,and upbeat all the time. I still think it's one of Ash's underrated and overlooked starter Pokemon.

Last edited:
I love Seviper and Munchlax because of the anime. They have really interesting personalities. There must be more which I love that I cannot think about haha.

The ones I don't like.. I think Malamar for me is a given because I didn't like its design and the personality cemented my dislike for it.

I probably have much more to say but off the top of my head, those are the ones which stand out.

Obviously by looking at my name, you can tell the anime took a lot of influence for my liking towards Wobbuffet; its one of the most simple and goofy designs and yet it turns out to be nearly invincible (at least when the writers want it to be).

Other Pokemon I've come to like due to the anime are Happiny, Mime Jr., Mimikyu, and (to an extent) Infernape.

The Pokemon I've mainly ended up disliking due to the anime are Oshawott and Bonsly because they felt unlikable at times for me. (Brock's Bonsly at least redeemed itself upon evolving)

Obviously by looking at my name, you can tell the anime took a lot of influence for my liking towards Wobbuffet; its one of the most simple and goofy designs and yet it turns out to be nearly invincible (at least when the writers want it to be).

Other Pokemon I've come to like due to the anime are Happiny, Mime Jr., Mimikyu, and (to an extent) Infernape.

The Pokemon I've mainly ended up disliking due to the anime are Oshawott and Bonsly because they felt unlikable at times for me. (Brock's Bonsly at least redeemed itself upon evolving)
I think I prefer Oshawott because of the anime but I agree on Bonsly. Happiny, totally! I love it.

I hated pikachu until the beginning of sm series
My opinion on it changed in sm series. I started loving liking it in sm series

I hated Charizard from the anime from Ash's Charizard being a jerkass in Kanto to Alain's Charizard being BS OP that no one can beat same with Origins Red's Charizard. As for pokemon I liked because of the anime it would be the Zorua line and the Lake Trio.

Dawn's Piplup and Ash's Oshawott were annoying in the anime, but then again, I only liked their final forms in the games.

I've grown fond of almost all of Team Rocket's pokémon simply due to the fact that they belong to Team Rocket. That being said, them having a good personality and/or funny interactions do play a role in me liking them or not. I couldn't care less about Amoongus and Frillish because they showed no personality at all, and I'm indifferent towards Lickitung and Victreebel (is it because they're ugly-looking? Am I superficial when it comes to Pokémon? Who knows). Therefore, they're usually the Pokémon I try buying figurines of whenever I have a chance!

And I like Skitty, Sneasel, Growlithe and Houndoom for their designs.

I'd say a Pokémon I dislike is Charizard because of the anime. Like, I don't care that it didn't listen to Ash... I dislike it because it's the final form of Charmander, the CUTEST of the starters, which I never wanted to see evolve... but it did after only 40 episodes. Life, why are you so cruel?

Mijumaru, I also dislike because he was incredibly obnoxious in the anime, at least for me.

Man, that was a long ass list lol

Last edited:
I really liked Raichu because of how cute and strong it was. DP made Electivire my new favorite Pokemon. When I saw Gary's, I was interested and I loved the design but Paul's made me really love this Pokemon.

tumblr_inline_p83uxaFNwo1uqj58l_540.gif

I mean look at it, it is too cute and badass how could anyone not like this Pokemon? (also I thought he was way better in the Japanese version)

I really liked Raichu because of how cute and strong it was. DP made Electivire my new favorite Pokemon. When I saw Gary's, I was interested and I loved the design but Paul's made me really love this Pokemon.

tumblr_inline_p83uxaFNwo1uqj58l_540.gif

I mean look at it, it is too cute and badass how could anyone not like this Pokemon? (also I thought he was way better in the Japanese version)
I prefered the attitude of Paul's Electabuzz :p Tbh, I prefer Electabuzz in general haha.

uhh....... pokemon i liked because of anime influence?
Mimikyu obviouisly would be my top pick right now.
I didn't liked lucario in the movie,(the 20th one that is) but
the one from XY episodes centered around Korrina was nice.
Anime made me also LOVE Espurr- he had only one episode, but it was enough for me.
Also that badass Tediursa from one of Johto episodes made me like that Pokemon.

Pokemon i disliked... Can i say Arceus?
I mean, he was betrayed by a small part of humanity that is dead for 1000 years yet he thinks thats enough reason to destroy THE ENTIRE HUMANITY, especially considering the fact only like 2 people are aware of what happened betwen him and Damos?
Also, he's a goddamn GOD, yet he can't stand being beaten up by an army of Pokemon, and falls into a 1000 year long sleep after destroying one, small temple?
Well those are some god-like virtues (and a huge sense of "justice").

Other than that.... I cant really say I hate one Pokemon more than another.

What I hated were this Pokemon whose behavior i found stupid or illogical at the moment.
... That includes Pokemon with obedience problems like Charrizard, but since I dont like Ash that much,I felt strange about it:On one side Charrizard behavior was irrational, but on the other hand, I felt happy watching him burning Ash's face......

Last edited:
I actually didn't like most of Team Rocket's Pokemon before they captured them. Carnivine, Mime Jr, Inkay.... mostly James' Pokemon, I never grew to love Woobat though. You can probably guess why. That thing had no personality.

Still hate Rowlet, anime made me despise him actually. He's so lazy and ungrateful

I love Simisage because it's an adorable little badass that looks like a cross between Space Dandy and a marijuana plant.
a74.gif

I hate the Mewtwo from the Genesect movie because it's not the same Mewtwo from the first movie. Yup, I'm one of those.

I don’t play the games at all, so most of my Pokémon knowledge comes from the anime. That being said, it has indeed influenced my opinions on certain Pokémon.

Positive influences
Meowth: If it wasn’t for the anime, nobody would even know who Meowth is. Meowth was also one of my first exposures to this franchise; when I was about six, I got a Meowth doll. I wasn’t even a Pokémon fan until last April, but I loved that doll so much. For the longest time, he was my favorite Pokémon, but that changed once I fully immersed myself in the franchise and got to know the others.
Totodile: I agree with the second poster about Ash’s Totodile. His charming and funny antics made me love the species as a whole. The episode where he falls in love with Azumarill won me over for good.
Hawlucha: Ash’s Hawlucha is yet another Pokémon owned by Ash that captured my affection because of the anime. I think it mainly had to do with his awesome voice.
I

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom