• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why Do You Play a Pokemon?

Link Snivy

Reaction score
Just wondering why some of you play Pokemon. Some of my friends play it for fun, others for the story, and others just to get the Legendary Pokemon. I play Pokemon for the story and to raise my Snivy! Some people think its dumb that i don't evolve my Snivy but, i grow attached to the little Pokemon! yes i kno they arent real but still! heh heh, sorry for my little rant. ^///^

So why do YOU play Pokemon?

I like to "collect 'em all", haha x) I completed the pokedex in pearl, and I'm slowly evolving, catching and transferring pokemon to black 2!

I guess I took the "gotta catch 'em all" thing to heart!

I like to play to collect gym badges and battle all the different trainers! If the contests and Battle frontier where more like the anime and part of the story then I would love to story even more. I'm not so concerned with catching Pokemon, I only tend to catch ones I really like

It's fun, it's fulfilling, it's strategic, it's one of the best game series ever.

Playing the games because they have some of the best stories of any games ever. Period. And I like the VGC tournaments.

I like the games. They are a lot of fun. I really like the adventure aspect: leaving home, going on a journey with Pokemon, training and beating gyms and eventually becoming champion. I also like collecting and raising different types of Pokemon, since there is a lot of variety, it doesn't get boring. Its just a good game with a good story that has something in it for everyone pretty much.

I think that the games are really fun. I like traveling around the region, catching more Pokemon, bonding with the ones on my team, defeating the evil team and going through other trainers to become the Champion. The storylines are good and pretty engaging. I don't try to capture every Pokemon out there, but having so many Pokemon out there makes the process of creating a team fun since there is quite a bit of variety. The games are enjoyable and fun way to relax for awhile.

One of the reasons I like the games is because not only are they a lot of fun, but they actually have a lot of strategy and planning involved and the fact that they are disguised so well as a game for children is really what makes it that much more appealing. Kinda feels like a hidden gem or something, I like the feeling of that.

i don't really care about the story so much as collecting and catching all the pokemon i can. i've always been a big fan of games with a lot to collect and a lot of places to go, so pokemon is just perfect in that regard. also, i love the pokemon designs so much. i really wish they were real. travelling with amazing creatures on my own and experiencing the world with them just sounds perfect.

They're fun games, simple as that. I just got re-addicted to the series this year after realizing I needed something to do on the college campus between classes. I decided "Hey, I played Pokemon as a kid, I'll get back into the series", so I went to Gamestop and picked up a used copy of HeartGold. Now I'm hooked once again.

Also, the best thing about playing on a college campus is that there isn't a shortage of people to play/trade with, since there are a few thousand people who are in the same boat.

Before it was just because it was fun and I liked to beat the game and train and join contests and stuff, never really cared about the story...but now with BW and BW2 I actually pay attention to the plot, so now I play for the story too. :ksmile:

I guess by now it's just getting to fight all the crazy trainers in the games, and getting to use new pokes when they come along. For up until the third gen, I liked to train a lot and would even do multiple runs of Silver, but that was because I couldn't decide on a team. Training got to be too boring for me after completing the game, and I eventually slipped into just doing nothing when I was done evolving all that I could. For a while, I tried doing themed runs, but that met with mixed results, as I no longer cared for the limited movepools of the older games. It did liven up my playthroughs somewhat, though. I eventually abandoned my old concepts and just decided to use what I felt like using. There's no telling if I will even try to do this again, though. Admittedly, the true reason I got into pokemon was for the world presented. Unfortunately, this world was first seen as the anime. My current perception is sort of "what the anime would be like if it followed the mechanics more closely". Thus, my true passion is alternative interpretations that depart from the main series. Whether that be spinoffs or fanfiction.

Video games - they are fun, get me thinking, I can use all my favorites and train them how I want, there are many combinations to use in the game and it'll never end (I mean there are limits to the gyms and such but you can still do what you want in the end), as the years went by the games got better and better, the spin-offs such as Stadium and Snap are also great games, I play them because it was my childhood and I love living with it

Card game - I played this before the video games and it interested me when it came out, I don't play it as much as the video games but its been a fun hobby to play and I have a lot of fun even if I lose, I loved collection the cards and how they looked

in the end Pokemon was a great thing for me and I'm happy to have grown up with
I play it for the laughs and memories

Well, objectively as a video game it's decently entertaining while being simultaneously accessible and capable of great complexity. Now subjectively, I just love pokémon ever since I first saw it on TV as a kid in the late 90s :D I really can't imagine not playing future iterations of the games, because they always maintain a certain degree of novelty which makes it all the more interesting: new pokémon, new evolutions, new plots, new moves, new abilities, new items, all of this making it ever more complex and entertaining.

Pokémon games are great games, if anything Im more tired of the anime where Ash just becomes a noob gain everytime he goes to a new region (which I understand as being for the new batch of pokéfans, who are younger and unfamiliar with the freaking 15 year journey he's been on :D). And personally, I just love catching pokémon and raising a new strong team and setting myself challenges throughout the game :)

i play pokemon because i literally grew up with it. when i was six and entered my first primary school, my best friend told me that everyone played pokemon cards during recess.
amazingly the teachers don't care about it. at first i ignored it, but then i started to join in. when i learned about pokemon video games, i grew more excited about pokemon.
when i transferred to a new school in another country, my love for pokemon never changed. i got a cd for the gba emulator along with gen 1,2,3 games when i was 11.

basically, pokemon games are exciting. the fact that there are many pokemon that can be catched makes me tick.

I use to play it because I was heavily into the competitive meta-game way back in gen IV. I don't play that competitively anymore though, (Mainly because of how over centralized perma-rain has become) but I still love this series to death. I grew up with this series like many people, and I still love playing through the main games and the several spin-offs. (Like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Colosseum/XD, and I've even been a bit interested in the TCG as of late...)

I'll probably always love Pokemon. Even if I ever lose interest in the games, I'll probably still be drawing them and checking up on the series every now and then. Pokemon has been a major part of my life, and I have no shame admitting that.

I play Pokemon mostly because I enjoy competitive battling.I also play Pokemon just because the Pokemon designs appeal to me.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom