Why do you think Gen 1 introduced so many Poison types?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Alola, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Alola

Alola Hoo-Hoo-HA!

Blog Posts:
    I mean, seriously:

• Bulbasaur
    • Ivysaur
    • Venusaur
    • Weedle
    • Kakuna
    • Beedrill
    • Zubat
    • Golbat
    • Oddish
    • Gloom
    • Vileplume
    • Bellsprout
    • Weepinbell
    • Victreebel
    • Venonat
    • Venomoth
    • Koffing
    • Weezing
    • Ekans
    • Arbok
    • Nidoran (male and female)
    • Nidorino
    • Nidorina
    • Nidoqueen
    • Nidoking
    • Tentacool
    • Tentacruel
    • Gastly
    • Haunter
    • Gengar
    That's 31 Pokemon or a whopping 21% of the original 151. It's interesting because Poison wasn't even a viable type back when it was introduced. The only type it could hit super-effectively was Grass...which amounted to an enemy Tangela since all the other Grass types lacked a Poison weakness. Consequently, it had more weaknesses than resistances or advantages. Not to mention, they had horrible and basically nonexistent STAB moves to damage opposing Pokemon with. I just realized all of this recently because I'm trying to make a new, theoretical Kanto game and the myriad of Poison types suddenly became explicit. Anyways, why do you think there were so many made? Any of these listed Pokemon you feel shouldn't have been classified as Poison?

2. MegaPod

MegaPod Trial Captain Nanu

Blog Posts:
    It is a bit unusual that they felt the need to make the Bulbasaur line part Poison what with the other Grass/Poison types, although it does help them defensively against Poison attacks, as well as Bug past Generation I. It’s also odd that the Gastly line is part Poison when only Gastly itself really has that toxic fumes motif going for it. Other than that, I think the Gen I Poison-types make sense for the most part, even if it was an underwhelming attacking type before Fairies came into play.

And technically, Exeggcute and Exeggutor are weak to Poison, too, though they can attack super effectively right back. :p

Alola likes this.
  3. Chidamari Sketch

Chidamari Sketch Zombie 0

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, most of these seem apropos to the Poison type in certain ways except, as MegaPod mentioned, the Gastly line. I honestly feel that the only reason Haunter and Gengar are part-Poison to begin with is to simply be consistent with their basic stage, Gastly; which just feels a bit obsolete when one considers that stuff like Bellossom, Mega Aggron, and Alolan Marowak were later introduced.

But yeah, I've always subconsciously felt as if Poison was a little all over the place in Kanto, but never really had any opportunity to really think about it till now. I think the reason why there's a relatively large amount of Poison types introduced back then was to sort of establish it as something of a go-to 'enemy/mob/mook/bad guy' element among the types. The majority of Team Rocket Grunts and especially the Scientists (mentioned here as this class was affiliated with Team Rocket back then and most of them only appeared during the Silph Co. invasion) in the Kanto games had at least one or two Poison types on their teams. Hell, even Giovanni himself had a few Poison types in his team; the Nido family to be specific.

KaylaBaraonda likes this.
  4. KaylaBaraonda

KaylaBaraonda Hello from the other side

Blog Posts:
    Because villains.
    Poison was the villainous type before Dark was. Also, Kanto is a bit of a post-apocalyptic wasteland in those games. If they had been introduced in gen 2 it would be such:

• Bulbasaur - pure grass
    • Ivysaur
    • Venusaur
    • Weedle
    • Kakuna
    • Beedrill
    • Zubat - dark\flying
    • Golbat - dark\flying
    • Oddish
    • Gloom
    • Vileplume
    • Bellsprout - pure grass
    • Weepinbell - pure grass
    • Victreebel - grass\dark
    • Venonat
    • Venomoth
    • Koffing
    • Weezing
    • Ekans - dark
    • Arbok - dark
    • Nidoran (male and female) - dark
    • Nidorino - dark
    • Nidorina - dark
    • Nidoqueen - dark\ground
    • Nidoking - dark\ground
    • Tentacool
    • Tentacruel
    • Gastly - ghost\dark
    • Haunter - ghost\dark
    • Gengar - ghost\dark

5. Gengarzilla

Gengarzilla "You thought Dugtrio and Magnezone were asshats?"

Blog Posts:
    Given that Poison was weak against Bug in those days, it's like they've already recognised how absolutely terrible Bug was. Feels to me like they were trying to give it some leeway.

6. Nicolas721

Nicolas721 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I think the imbalance could simply be a mistake coming from the reduction of 190 Pokemon to 151. Some of them can be explained through:

-Grimer, Koffing, Ekans and Zubat were Team Rocket Pokemon, apparently Poison was going to be the "evil" type.
    -Oddish and Bellsprout were designed as version exclusives, so there had to be some similarities and differences between them.
    -Nidoran M/F-They promote gender differences? Maybe the idea of a Pokemon that has completely different evolutions depending on its gender sounded interesting to them.I don't really know, but they take up 4% of that 21%.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.