• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you think Nidorina and Nidoqueen cannot be bred?

thomaswiencek

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I'm wanting to know why you think that Nidorina and Nidoqueen cannot be bred in video games. Please, let me know your response, thanks.;)

Yeah, what the above said. It was merely a glitch that they overlooked when they created the breeding mechanic in Gen 2, but they've since kept it for some strange reason. Considering it makes zero sense to leave it untouched is rather questionable, as they've had six following generations to fix it but left that problem intact. In short, it was at first glitch that they kept for whatever reason they had.

Yeah, what the above said. It was merely a glitch that they overlooked when they created the breeding mechanic in Gen 2, but they've since kept it for some strange reason. Considering it makes zero sense to leave it untouched is rather questionable, as they've had six following generations to fix it but left that problem intact. In short, it was at first glitch that they kept for whatever reason they had.
It is more an oversight than a glitch, since it was not caused by technical problems (both of them are just marked as "unbreedable"), making this even more questionable.

It is more an oversight than a glitch, since it was not caused by technical problems (both of them are just marked as "unbreedable"), making this even more questionable.

Not quite. A lot of sources indicate it was a glitch in Gen 2 (considering how glitch-y Gen 2 was, that's not surprising) that Gamefreak left intact when entering the next gen for whatever reasons and have never clarified why. So, it's not quite an oversight, as most sources point it to being a glitch from the start that was left alone.

Not quite. A lot of sources indicate it was a glitch in Gen 2 (considering how glitch-y Gen 2 was, that's not surprising) that Gamefreak left intact when entering the next gen for whatever reasons and have never clarified why. So, it's not quite an oversight, as most sources point it to being a glitch from the start that was left alone.
I guess this is what happens when you discover things by playing with YAPE (a Pokémon editor for Gen III games). I also thought it might have been an oversight considering what happened to Mikon in the Spaceworld demo (Water? Really?).

I guess this is what happens when you discover things by playing with YAPE (a Pokémon editor for Gen III games). I also thought it might have been an oversight considering what happened to Mikon in the Spaceworld demo (Water? Really?).

Believe me, it's understandable, especially to those who have good programming knowledge, as you seem to be quite good on that subject. I originally thought it was an oversight as well, but after looking into it ages ago most sources (keyword: most, not all) say it was a glitch that was left untouched from Gen 3 onward. I'm still surprised they've done nothing to change it at this point, but that's how it is. Maybe they'll change it with the DLC packages for Sword/Shield, as we know Nidoran male is going to be in it, but that's probably wishful thinking at this point.

I'm 100% inclined to believe that it was a unstudied bug that was retained throughout later generations out of either apathy or for the sake of an obscure Mythology Gag. Most likely the former, though.

I do recall one fanfic writer, one whose 'texts' are sort of these biological field reports by an OC professor, that went with this idea:
The Nidoran family were once abundant in the wilderness. Their abundance led to severe overpopulation, which thus influenced the biological evolution of later generations; ergo, the present-day Nidorina and Nidoqueen are adapted to have their reproductive systems go indefinitely inert upon evolution to better control the population.

they should breed with each other only or something like that?

I feel like it's totally a mistake they never fixed because they're stubborn or some crap.

Even if it was 'intended', I'd still argue that it's a bad feature that needs fixed. Breeding pokemon can be a pain in the neck on its own without a random pair of pokemon that can't breed even though the other gender can.

Same as others here, I think it was a coding error in Gen II that they kept in for legacy reasons.

Same as others here, I think it was a coding error in Gen II that they kept in for legacy reasons.
I don’t think they’ll keep it in forever. Kadabra used to evolve even while holding an Everstone for a really long time until it was fixed in a relatively recent generation (I want to say gen 6).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom