• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you think OLM, Inc. have produced the Pokémon anime films from the alternate continuity instead of those based on the Sun & Moon series?

Even SM's showrunners kinda agree that it doesn't look good, considering they backtracked from it to a degree.
I won't argue that the earlier episodes looked significantly rougher. HOWEVER, this isn't the first time something like this had happened, any time a shift in art direction happens it's not that hard to notice the art getting more polished over-time. Since this is the first time the art-style shifted so heavily, it's not surprising that the art-style was a) more inconsistent in the earlier episodes; and b) less polished.

I still think the SM style is far superior from a technical stand point than anything the main series has ever had, offering a sense of physicality and volume that was nearly non-existent before, a flexibility that allows an expansive range of expressiveness from the characters (not including off-model faces), on top of that it's not oversaturated with detail cluttering the designs and getting in the way of the visual language, and because of the more rounder designs, the characters themselves look more organic. I'm not even including the benefits it offers for animation, which are very significant.

I won't argue that the earlier episodes looked significantly rougher. HOWEVER, this isn't the first time something like this had happened, any time a shift in art direction happens it's not that hard to notice the art getting more polished over-time. Since this is the first time the art-style shifted so heavily, it's not surprising that the art-style was a) more inconsistent in the earlier episodes; and b) less polished.
So, SM style I was criticizing and you were supporting all those years...wasn't the actual SM style after all? Is this your proposition? :bulbaFacepalm:

Are people really implying that the SuMo cast didn't appear in the new movies because of a supposed Pokedex ban? Like, I don't even comprehend where the idea of this ban came from; did Yuyama or someone else in a position of power actually reveal that there's a "no Pokedex in movies" rule?

So, SM style I was criticizing and you were supporting all those years...wasn't the actual SM style after all? Is this your proposition? :bulbaFacepalm:
That's not what I said. On principle early SM has the same advantages over any of the past series visually, it's just less polished and consistent than the style in the latter episodes. And given this is a weekly series and the staff probably barely even changed between XY and SM, it was to be expected.

I'm satisfied with the direction they took with the I Choose You! movie and I loved it a lot. I haven't seen movie 21, though. But I like how Ash has an adventure with other people instead of the characters from the TVA series. It freshens things up.

I was a teenager when the first movie came out. I was very familiar with the series but a lot of the adults in the theater had absolutely no idea what was going on. In that version of the movie they don't even explain what a Pokemon is. As for the later movies, most of them really just aren't that good even if you're a fan. The last two work on their own without any knowledge of the series or even the games and they've been far more successful than many of the previous films as a result.

I know people who have never played the original games or seen the series that are addicted to Pokemon Go. There's no way that wasn't taken into consideration when they produced I Choose You as well as Everyone's Story.

This has little to do with this thread, but I didn't realize that you were that much older than me. I was 9 when the first movie came out.

I think that they did it because they wanted to see if by varying the sort of movie they make if they would bank morr money. It seemed that with both movies, it was more about the character and how the plot and character develops.

I hope after Mewtwo movie, they continue in the AU moviemaking.

This has little to do with this thread, but I didn't realize that you were that much older than me. I was 9 when the first movie came out.

I think that they did it because they wanted to see if by varying the sort of movie they make if they would bank morr money. It seemed that with both movies, it was more about the character and how the plot and character develops.

I hope after Mewtwo movie, they continue in the AU moviemaking.

Yeah, it was a freakin' event back then! It was the first time I ever saw anime on 35mm so I was ecstatic! That's why I enjoyed Detective Pikachu so much. It was the same energy. Everyone was just so happy and excited!

But getting back to the other movies, it appears their strategy worked. I think they realize they'll never make the kind of money the first few did but the last two movies were really big hits in Japan. I just hope we can get to the point where they can release them out here for more than a one day screening. (And with the original Japanese score in tact! Luckily that was the case with Everyone's Story.)

Are people really implying that the SuMo cast didn't appear in the new movies because of a supposed Pokedex ban? Like, I don't even comprehend where the idea of this ban came from; did Yuyama or someone else in a position of power actually reveal that there's a "no Pokedex in movies" rule?

Rotom isn't the only reason, of course - the box office performance going down steadily since Best Wishes!, the fact that the 20th anniversary movie just happened to be the first movie released in the Sun & Moon era, etc. - but it's not not a factor.

Interviewer: Are there any secrets about the movies fans don't know about?

Kunihiko Yuyama: Well, we've decided not to use the Pokemon Bestiaries in any of the films. That's because mythical pokemon appearing in the movies is a sure thing and really, how would that look if one was registered in the Bestiary? (laughs)

Interviewer: I see (laughs). And in the first episode the Pokemon Bestiary said it "still didn't have any data" about Ho-Oh, after all.

Yuyama: That's right. Ho-Oh was the only one we were going to show before the new games came out, you see. The TV series started in April (1997) and the new games Pocket Monsters Gold & Silver were supposed to be released the following year but they ended up getting delayed and eventually created a gap of about three years between games.

So the TV series was originally supposed to move forward at an incredibly fast pace but we had to end up slowing things down about halfway through (laughs). But since it's an adventure story where people are traveling it didn't end up being that big a deal!

This interview was conducted as part of the press for Movie 20 so it's at least contemporary with Sun & Moon.

I Choose You! and The Power of Us were actually really good movies, and I'm glad the movies this generation were split out from the SM series. To me, the entire SM anime series is an eternal dumpster fire beyond salvation. I have very low expectations for this year's movie (Mewto Strikes Back remake). I think OLM should pack up shop and go find a new hobby after what they are doing with this year's movie.

Pokedex scenes are just filler to fill 20 minutes, it's no surprising that we see no pokedex scenes in the movies.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom