• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you think the writers deicded to choose Iris instead of Touko?

Fujioka

Host-e-mon
Reaction score
Sorry if there's a topic like this but I was curious. Why do you think they chose Iris to travel with Ash instead of Touka, the playable girl from Black and White? They chose May and Dawn who were the playable girls so why not this time? I can understand not using the boy because Ash to me is their choice for the male playable character.

Last edited:
Re: Why do you think the writers deicded to choose Iris instead of Touka?

Touko, but i think is because of the Age Differences between her and Satoshi, but she would make a nice Ms. Fanservice.

Oh sorry for spelling her name wrong. I thought I typed in Touko. I don't know if I can fix it but can someone do it for me?

Edit- I did it. Her name is spelled right now =)

Last edited:

only you, i'll give it a try on editing threads now, so if i suceed i'll tell ya.
Edit: No Luck here, the only solution would be trash this thread and make another one, but that's unnecessary.

There's also that whole "reboot" thing and trying to be a little more like the original series in term of "fresh feel".

And Touko's to awesome to travel with Ash.

And Touko's to awesome to travel with Ash.

This.

I dont know I guess since they weren't gonna have Iris be the gym leader they decided to make her a main character. There is also the fact that Touko is supposed to be much older than Satoshi.

I always felt that they could have de-aged her if they felt she was too old or that she could have played the Brock role. I couldn't really imagine her traveling with Ash though. Maybe they felt that Iris fits better.

They could had easily made her look like a 10 year old. If you can take a 10 year old with a really short skirt seriously, why can't you take Touko as a 10 year old seriously?

1) BW=not Reboot

Reason for the " ". Not exactly a reboot, but a new addition to the continuity that wishes to seperate itself from the past more than the other entries have.

I'm guessing Touko's outfit had something to do with it. They could get away with Dawn's skirt, but Touko?!

The real question is if anything would've really been improved by her presence. I pretty much guarantee you any answer in regards to that would be the same as if they took Iris and gave her more screen time. They could've put anyone in that role. Why they chose Iris is anyone's guess. Mine is purely for convenience. She's the one closest to Ash's age without altering her appearance.

I have a feeling it has to do with Iris's connection to dragons. The writers may have wanted to expand on the Dragon type this saga, or had some type of storyline planned. Touko's age difference is probably another reason.

1. The game hero and heroine are supposed to be older and the anime apparently is more afraid to try appealing to older audience than the games
2. They wanted Ash to be the only star again and it seems kind of a "rule" that player character = starring character (which makes sense, why portay the game stars as sidekicks rather than stars?)
3. They wanted to make the trio similar to Kanto, so Iris = Gym Leader like Misty and also Iris = more tomboyish than girly, like Misty... (and yes it IS related to appearance... the heroine looks much girlier and similar to Dawn while Iris looks more tomboyish)
What I don't understand is WHY they didn't want to continue the "equal heroine to Ash" thing... since the games and cards clearly still trying to appeal to both genders
I also don't get why it was so important to make the group similar to the Kanto group... yeah, gen 5 is similar to gen 1 in some things.... I still don't get why that means they should've made a group similar to gen 1

There could be several reasons but my guess is:
-Considering how Touko was older female protagonist than usual writers probably didnt wanted to add two older characters to travell with Ash making main hero seem to be out of place decviding to rather use gym leader from games Iris who was younger and more suitable as group member.,Sure they could try to experiment with older girl with success among audience not being necessarily out of question,but as conservative as they are in some fields they probably didnt wanted to change formula of show too much.

-they wanted to go back to anime formula of Ash being the only "star" trying to include vibe of new seriers feeling like "semi reboot" which isnt doing very good job at it if you ask me.

I also don't get why it was so important to make the group similar to the Kanto group... yeah, gen 5 is similar to gen 1 in some things.... I still don't get why that means they should've made a group similar to gen 1

Yeah i know what you mean,if they really wanted to try "going back to roots" they could simply reuse original group(Ash,Misty and Brock) instead which would be welcomed by many fans.Potential is definitely there providing windows of opportunities to do more with characters and chance to develop their stories more.

They could probably work well for another shorter run imo,even though i know it wont happen(most likely).

I think thats about the coordinator story! They showed us so many great combinations during Sinnoh, so maybe they lost the inspiration and its hard to make so many shiny appeals!

touko would be the perfect coordinator and would take the focus from Ash! Iris will have an solid amount of eps focusing on her and nothing more!

So Iris is the perfect replacement!

it would've been too predictable. And it would've been to repetitive if they went with the female/game protagonist route

Last edited:
I don't see how Iris is considered to be tomboyish and less girly compared to the female player girl...

^ I agree. Touko looks pretty tomboyish to me as well. She looks more like a battler than a coordinator. If the writers felt that she looked too old then they could ahve made her look a little younger. Besides, a lot of anime girls look older than they really are. Did May really look 10 years old?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom