• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you think the writers gave Iris and Cilan rivals?

Do you think Iris/Cilan having rivals is a good idea?

• Total voters

Cybersai

Reaction score
As we all know, Misty and Brock never had any real ongoing rivals in the series. This is the first time supporting characters who don't truly compete in anything will have ongoing rivals in the series.

It is safe to say at this point that Burgundy and Langely will probably continue to re-appear throughout BW.

Do you think Iris and Cilan were given rivals to help them be more active in terms of the storyline and/or battles than Misty/Brock were? It seems to me as if the writers don't want to make mistakes with neglecting Iris/Cilan as part of the background, and they're doing this so they have more active storylines in the show, albeit less than the coordinators.

How do you feel about this?

i think that yes they deserve rivals. misty and brock were really background you know? The series revolved around ash until contests came in but they still managed to give ash tons of screen time. But Iris, Cilan, and Ash seem to be more like co-stars this time around which i really like:) so i think that they deserve it!^.^

Meh I don't care whether they are relegated to co stars or just background characters but I guess its nice they have their own rivals just for something fresh and something productive to do . Brock did kinda have a rival in the breeder with the vulpix (forget her name) but she appeared in like 2 eps... they could have done more with that. They could have brought in a hot shot water trainer to rival misty but o well whats done is done.

They could have brought in a hot shot water trainer to rival misty but o well whats done is done.

Funny thing is we did have water-centric users appear when Misty was around, but most of them were introduced for Ash, such as the competition with the Wartortle Squad, Prima, Tad with the Poliwrath, and a few others.

Whenever Misty did battle against another trainer, that character would never show up again.

At the least, recurring rivals allow the other main characters more time in the spotlight, so it isn't just "The Ash Ketchum Show" like it was for a good portion of the older seasons.

At the least, recurring rivals allow the other main characters more time in the spotlight, so it isn't just "The Ash Ketchum Show" like it was for a good portion of the older seasons.

Especially in Johto, we had 150 episodes back then, would it have killed them to focus on someone other than Ash and those COTD's?

As for Iris, a lot of people complained how she was doing nothing for the first 20 or so eps of BW, but it really feels like they're focusing on her more now. Langely should be a big help.

I didn't really see any "rivalry" between them and their "rivals" , yet. It's too early for making a decision about it.

I think it's better with them having rivals, because now we might not have the excessive amounts of filler episodes. But considering that I wouldn't call them rivals yet because there has been very little "rival like" attitudes and things going on.

Langely and Iris act just like Ash and Gary from Kanto, how are they not rivals?

Just because they're not competing for badges or ribbons doesn't make them not have a rivalry.

water-centric users
Tad with the Poliwrath

He was "water centric"? Wasn't that Poliwrath the only Poké of him that we got to see? For all we know, he didn't have other water Poké...

Anyway, if Burgundy and Langley are badge collecting trainers, which I suspect they are (well, with Burgundy it's pretty much confirmed... unless she gave up on that to focus on the Conosseur thing) then I'll view them mainly as Ash's rivals that just happen to have some connection to some of Ash's friends, similary to Conway being one of Ash's DP rivals, but who had a stronger connection to Dawn rather than to Ash

So I'm not sure yet if we can truly say Iris and Cilan has rivals on the same level as Ash/May/Dawn having rivals... for Iris/Langley it's even not a real rivalry since Iris wants to become a dragon Master, yet Langley just wants to... kill dragons?... it's more hating each other for what each of them is, not competitive rivalry like we're usually seeing with these "rivals"
I don't know, we'll have to wait and see how they handle it... but I guess it's nice they're trying to do something with the sidekicks

He was "water centric"? Wasn't that Poliwrath the only Poké of him that we got to see? For all we know, he didn't have other water Poké...

Well there was at least that kid with the Poliwrath from Johto who battled Misty in the Seaking tournament, I think? The writers could have made him, the Marina/Golduck girl from Orange Islands, or tons of other characters into rivals for Misty, but instead they didn't.

Sad, really. Misty never really got to test or improve her water pokemon skills against anyone, the writers instead opted to have her stand in the background with Togepi in her arms for her entire run.

I guess as we say, "What is done, is done." And it just looks wrong in retrospect.

Because they know how ridiculous the thing with Ash is getting and they wanted to make something atleast be worthwhile when watching this show?

I think its also good that Ash faces them once in a while, and they seem like memorable additions to the cast.

I can't help but to feel that Cabernet and Dento's rivalry isn't as entertaining as the Iris/Langley one. I mean, Langley bitches Iris and Iris reacts which makes it so much more hilarious and entertaining. Cabernet bitches Dento but there's no response. :/

Though I admit, both Langley and Cabernet are great additions! :D

Probably because of starting to realize how with inclusion of rivals in someone story you can add more substance in it.Rivals often serve as someone who pose obstacle for main character he needs to get over allowing him to learn from his mistakes setting groundwork for easier future development.

Writers learned how by giving rivals to other characters beside Ash they can enrich someone story making their traveling toward destination more challenging along with learning from their wins and defeats which is most likely reason why Cilan and Iris received Cabernet and Langley as their rivals.

So far im pleased with their introduction. Langley acts like bitch but this is actually positive thing since it creates conflict in Iris story having worthwhile opponent to who she needs to prove her skills as dragon trainer,and with Cabernet situation seems a little bit reversed with rival having to catch up with main character who is already classified as more skilled pokemon connoisseur.

Something new for a concept,since rivals are usually portrayed as "being ahead"in beginning.

Other supporting characters in past used to had some rivals(Like Marina from OI or Andreas from Johto)but most of this opportunities ended up as one time thing which was a shame,but its needed to understand how at that time show followed different formula.

Sad, really. Misty never really got to test or improve her water pokemon skills against anyone, the writers instead opted to have her stand in the background with Togepi in her arms for her entire run.

I beg to differ.
Misty tested her skills as water trainer against other trainers like Marina from Orange Islands,Trinity and Harrison from Whirl Cup,unofficial gym leader Dorian,Andreas from Seaking contest etc.

Also Misty had purpose and actually did things during her run certainly not serving as "placeholder for Togepi".Ash was central character at that time but Brock and Misty for record received screen time being active deserving more credit than they are being given.
Especially when we dont know yet how will story of Cilan and Iris play out in end at moment not surpassing first traveling companions in number of achievements and contributions they left on shows plot.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom