• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you watch Pokémon?

Geoffrey

Hobo Attorney
Reaction score
This question has been nagging me for a while. I have heard so many complaints about the anime, from minor paint edits to terrible voice actors. What I want to know is why do you still watch Pokémon? I watch it because I still enjoy the entertainment and comedic value that the show gives me, and I don't let things like music and paint edits affect my watchability of the show. If you watch the Japanese version, you can also explain why you watch that as well.

Because as much as people seem to complain about it, Pokemon has always been a very fun and entertaining series. I've pretty much enjoyed every saga in Pokemon except for a good chunk of Johto, so as long as the show remains above Johto quality, (which it has, considering every saga afteward was a drastic improvement), I'll keep watching.

And I don't know why people say the characters in Pokemon don't go through character development. If you look at Ash in Kanto, and look at him now in D/P, he's a VERY different character. Ash has changed a lot, which is why if you go back and watch a random Kanto episode nowadays you'll be shocked by how different he was back then.

Even Team Rocket, who basically do the same thing in every episode, still have character development via their backstories and whatnot.

As for the girls, Misty is also very different now than she was in Kanto, she goes from leaving the Gym and having a hot temper to coming full circle as a responsible Gym leader. May goes from a girl who doesn't even know how to battle with no confidence and almost becomes a champion at what she's doing by coming in the Top 4 of the Grand Festival, as well as tying with one of Ash's strongest Pokemon by the end of her run. There's also change with her relationship with Drew and Harley over the course of AG, which makes her character arc very satisfying and worthwhile.

Gary calms down a hell of a lot and loses his ego, turns Professor, and respects Ash more than he used to. Max basically learns from Ash and May during AG, and while Brock's character doesn't change all that much over the course of the show, we still learn a lot about him and how he keeps the group together. Tracey is probably the only character without any real development, but that's only because he was around for such a short amount of time, although I do like his interaction with Daisy and Misty in the specials.

Lastly there's Dawn who just started, and she's probably going to calm down from her princess attitude and become less flashy and conceited as we get further into D/P. Paul is definitely going to be developed as well.

Seriously, with all the whining you hear from this fandom, it makes you wonder if these people actually notice all the strides the writers made with the characters and arcs of this show. wtf.

It's relaxing and I can take it at face value.

And the fanbase. Gotta love it.

Because Satoshi is there.

Eh, I've always watched Pokemon mainly because I like it. It makes me laugh, and it's so cute and simple. A nice break from serious stuff. How can you NOT love the idea of little elemental monsters? XD It's the only anime I can watch. I don't know why, but my interest for others is lacking.

Simply because it is entertaining and most of the characters are likeable. Both the Japanese and dub (Mexican) versions.

What about the english dub? (And by that I mean either the old or new dub)

Well, since I'm from a Latin American country, I watch the Mexican dub. ^^; To be honest, from the little I could watch of the English dub, it was also enjoyable, but I'd rather watch it in my language (Spanish). Actually, the Mexican dub is based off 4Kids and now PUSA's versions, so it's basically the same.

Team Rocket and nostalgia.

But mostly Team Rocket, and to be even more specific, Meowth.

I don't watch the dub anymore, but watch the Japanese episodes when I can for this season and probably from now on because of reality...

Paint and music edits never bothered me, because it never got in the way of me enjoying the show. Heck, even some dialogue edits when it didn't completely alter the scene. I guess that saved me a lot of grief, since those were three less things for me to go jihad against in the American dub, which is what I grew up with.

Nostalgic. Used to watch it as kid.

First played the video games back in '99 (games came out a year later in the UK than they did in the US), and from then on it really evolved.

I still watch it to this day, although I'm more of adult now and have other interests as oppose to watching childrens cartoons/animé's. But I still always have time for it, and see how the story, which I once started watching back when I was 13, has unfolded over the years. The new pokémon, characters etc continuously make it interesting.

I don't really understand why I catch the anime anymore, especially when the quality (not the voices, I emphasise - I can get used to new voices) of the new voice actors and the dub songs grind my nerves (I may have liked those songs in the past, but my musical taste has matured and deepened over the years); the comedic value, plus the fun of watching some of the Pokémon and the human characters themselves is probably what draws me back again and again.

Ironically, one of my favourite episodes - Address Unown - would not be generally considered as comedic - the depth of the plot and the way it was presented was the main factor why I was drawn to that particular episode.

Last edited:
James.

And Jessie and Meowth... and the new Pokemon are mostly awesome, with their varied personality quirks (Muskippa, Manene and Greggy are particularly awesome). But mostly James. Oh, do I ever love Jimmy-wimmy. <3

Any other reasons are hard to single out. I mean, do you need a reason to watch something you like? You just like it, or something about it. I know I like Pokemon in general, in addition to being a rabid James fan. *shrugs*

I'm not really sure anymore. I used to love it when I was a little kid because of all the characters and Pokemon and such, and I stopped liking it as I grew older. Now... I have no idea why I'm loving it so much again. I enjoy the dub music and the voices (old ones, not new), and I still love the characters. I guess for me it's more of a "why'd I stop watching?" rather than "why do I still watch?"

Hm. I guess because of nostagia in some cases, and in others because it's just a good show. When we go into that odd teenager phase we sometimes forget about the quality of something and just try to distance ourselves because we see it as childish, even if it really isn't.

'Cause it's fun. The characters are fun, the fights are fun, speculating on the world is fun, fanfiction is fun, it's a solid dose of no-pretenses easy-to-digest fun. I like heady, difficult, and depressing stuff--but too much is, well, hella dour. The Pokemon anime is my ideal bit of light easy fun.

Just because :p Well, I love James so much and he's the reason I started watching it again. It's just a very entertaining series and it's fun!

I watch the Japanese if I can, but mostly I just keep up with Serebii.net and watch the movies because I usually forget that it's on and forget to watch it XD

I loved BAttle Frontier and Masterquest. Episodes like the Slowpoke Temple and the Ninetails in the fog episode were pure fun. I go back and watch things like Fortune hunters and am reminded of how much I love JAmes.

Meowth: Where did James get that outfit!?
Jesse: It probably came right out of his closet.

XD that's why I love the series (now if she had said "along with him" THAT would've made that episiode)

a bit ago, my friend was spending the ngiht at my house and we spent it watching old episodes and cracking up. This show has been with me sense I was 10 and will be with me until it ends.

Well, that's an interesting topic idea. It's more than one or even five reasons.

Throughout my childhood, I have watched this show because I wanted to see what the rage was all about. The I got hooked. I loved Jessie and Misty because they were the two main girls and I had a crush on Ash. Now I watch it partly because it's like comfort tv, kind of like how you read a book that you read when you were younger (the baby-sitters club for me).

Pokemon has a very interesting anime design, with the simplicity, the bright colors, the simpler eyes and just the more international feel. Seriously, when I watch Pokemon, it feels more international than Japanese.

It's a very long show and sometimes long anime are good because you can relax and depend on it, knowing that it'll be one of those things that'll be around for a long time, unlike some anime that only last 10-14 episodes...

The characters - Cassidy, Misty (during her special episodes like the princess festival or the the most memorable one of them all "For Crying out Loud" which I remember so clearly from the very first time I saw it), Shinji, Clair and so many other favorite characters. Back then, before I was an internet geek, I only saw my favorite characters on the tv screen when their episode aired. It awed me to know that I could have pictures from their episodes on my computer to access whenever I wanted, and later I got their episodes, but still, watching my favorite characters' episodes is very special to me, even though I could watch them anytime.

Really, Pokemon's more than just an anime, manga, card game, video game and all that stuff. It's more like a world. And all the episodes (500+) have succeeded in making it feel that way. Kind of like the Simpsons yet different.

That's why I like Pokemon.

Nostalgia, how associated I had made myself with Pokemon - I just knew a lot about it and it became a habit somehow. Moving over to digital animation and the VA changes killed a lot of the association I had with the show. I lost cable recently, but I'd still watch it whenever I caught it on just because after 8 years or so I just am too used to it not to.

I do recognize that it is probably one of the worst examples of entertainment on television, but for some reason it doesn't bother me too much while watching it.

Nostalgia, and the fact that it is so different than other anime I've seen. I'm not as hardcore as most people, but I have watched it since the month it aired in america and I will continue to watch it till its passing because its a fun show.

There are 4 reasons for me.

1. Pikachu and I am being serious. I'm a 20 year old that goes crazy over anything that has Pikachu on the front of merchandise and I think it's part of the reason why I watched the cartoon. Unfortunately I was the dope who bought Pokemon Dash and I even bought Pokemon channel PAL version (my countries code for the games). I bought Pokemon channel for the actual game with Pikachu and not for the Jirachi that Nintendo Australia left kindly in the PAL Pokemon channels.XD

So yeah Pikachu will probably be my main reason for the cartoon. Though I can watch it for the story and can watch episodes without Pikachu. That's where the second reason comes in.

2. I can watch any cartoon no matter how good or bad it is. It's another reason I watch the cartoon and the reason I am doing an animation course.

Which leads to the 3rd reason..
3. I have a fascination for animation. Pokemon may not be the best animation but there's alot more experimentation due to this that I'm fascinated with that. Also it's always fascinates me on what makes a cartoon last for 10 years and still be strong.

4. I enjoy it. I love the humour and the battles.=)

Last edited:
Ignoring the snobby anti-Japanese tone of the opening post...

I watch the show because it's nice, lighthearted fun. It has a number of funny characters (the Rocket-Dan, Gureggru, Heigani, Sonansu, etc.) and even manages to pull off some serious plots every now and then. I also really like the world the anime has set up. Finally, I'm a huge fan of the music and love the video game tunes in addition to the made-for-the-anime tunes.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom