• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you write fan fiction?

Reaction score
Just as the title says, why do you write fan fiction? What strives and inspires you to continue to write about Pokemon, your ocs, or any other fandom? Why do you write? For me personally, I love to make people happy, or at least for people to get something out of my fan fiction. I want them to leave with the feeling of 'Wow, that was good! That really made my day.' I want my readers to feel what the characters are feeling. I strive to make them sad, happy, surprised just when the characters they love feel the same way. I don't want my fan fiction to be a waste of someone's time or to make them dissapointed.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself."

This quote is what keeps me writing. Since there is a lack of definite romance in the Pokemon franchise, I enjoy building up two people's relationship from friendship to much more. The more I write, the more they grow close. I want my readers to feel like this is something that could actually happen. Not one's otp saying 'I love you' two chapters in, but something that is much more deep than that. I love writing about strong friendships and great adventure. Something that I feel everyone can relate to.

I write for my reader's enjoyment. I want them to feel like it's real, like it's something that they can love. I write fan fiction not for my own fantasies, but for the fantasies of others. This is actually why I take requests. I love to see people enjoy my writing.

What about you guys? Why do you write fan fiction?

Last edited:
Pokemon is a world literally bursting with possibilities, so I mainly write to explore those possibilities--what would have been if X happened? What if X DIDN'T happen? How would this game event work if it existed in the show? How would a game event that DOES exist in the show work if I were in charge? What would Pokemon be like as a totally different genre? The possibilities are endless!

I write fanfiction for similar reasons to LightningTopaz, except mainly for The Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem. Both series are bursting with possibliities too, because of Zelda's timeline and FE's different possible endings in each game (the paired endings between characters, mostly), mainly. Zelda's timeline brings up a lot of questions about the games and it's so fun to come up with our own answers in the form of writing! In Fire Emblem, it's fun to come up with your own continent and make your own cast of characters to be the army battling in a war. And it's fun to write about different pairings you like!

Last edited:
I suppose I write mainly as a way of describing the world as I see it, except with pokémon. The pokémon anime is very much about ordinary people (Notwithstanding Ash's habit of being the central hero is any save-the-world plot), so this gives me a chance to talk about my worldview through the eyes of my OC's. One theme I will keep coming back to in The Long Walk is the idea of friendship, and how that can be just as sweet and significant as romance, something that's so missing in our shipping-overdosed fandom. I guess it that sense I'm also trying to write what I'd like to read

I originally started to write fan fiction due to the disappointment in Pokemon Anime, especially in the story writing, world portrayal, and even the battles (Well, that basically means everything of the anime).

My feeling of disappointing started from the time I first discovered the Pokemon Special manga. It was just so well done in portray the Pokemon world, also at the same time telling a dramatic dynamic story that just are much more interesting. In the past I always hoped that someday Pokemon Anime can have the quality just like Pokemon Special, but unfortunately it never happened. And I stopped watching the anime during mid AG due to technical reason.

Hence I started to write my very first Pokemon fanfic to fulfill my little wish, in a way I think it will be much more interesting than the Pokemon anime.
And also, because I thought that the Pokemon anime was portraying the Pokemon world in the most inappropriate way and style, so I also wanted to made a story that I feel the Pokemon world is portrayed appropriately in my opinion, being an adventure, fantasy, a little bit is sci-fi, and most importantly, a story categorized as Shounen in Japenese literature!

My maiden work was almost like a retelling of Game event, starting from my favourite Pokemon Crystal game, where protagonist was the female protagonist of the game. But unfortunately, that work was Mary Sueish, never finished, never published, and I dropped it one year before I started my current one.

Originally I started in writing fanfic because of such anime disappointment, but I started my second and current one not because of that. My self-studies in writings during my first one made me understand more about fan-work communities and also creative writing techniques. After I became more experienced in writing, I just felt my first work was amateurish to the point of unreadable. So I felt like wanted to create a completely new fanfic that no one had ever tried before.

Now, my personally preference for fanfic are original stories and crossover, because those are the ones that will portray the referenced canon in a different and probably a creative way.

I write because I feel the need of sharing what my imagination creates. I think it's kinda selfish to keep the wonderful things I imagine in my mind, so I share them with the world. I mainly write fanfiction because when I'm really interested in something like a videogame, a TV show, a book, a manga, or whatever I burst with tons new stories, situations, and scenes that I feel the urge to write down and share with the world.

Well lately I've been going through a bit of a dryspell sadly, but my original reasons for writing fanfiction aren't anything too big. All my life I've had a lot of creativity, to the point that sometimes when I was younger I would be kind of...deranged in a sense, I basically ignored the real world. Thanks to writing I can let out all of those ideas in my head and it makes it easier for me to deal with controling it since I can just write it down instead of having it in my head all of the time. I really enjoy writing and it's the only thing I have that I've gotten good at through time and hard work.

I write them because I want to let my OC exprience the world of love and peace XD. I haven't been in a relationship before, and I've experienced rejection and disappointment. Through fanfiction, I can create a new alternate universe where my OC will never have to be rejected, and his/her love and dreams will always come true in the end. Which may be why my fanfics are cheesy and boring because they are usually about hard work and happy endings. However, I feel very satisfied when my OC turns out successful in both dreams and love.

In short, it's all for my own satisfaction

I write it for a few reasons.

First, it's good practice. While I am working on creating an original novel of my own creation, writing fan-fiction is a great way to practice just the art of writing in general. Working with already established universes/settings/characters makes crafting a story a little easier, since you don't have to come up with everything yourself. It's more-or-less practicing the general art of writing, grammar, sentence structure and what not to tell a coherent story. I'm not trying to downplay fan-fiction (I write it myself! :p) or say fan-fiction is easier, but it's definitely a good starting point for budding writers.

Second, it's fun. What's important to me is not necessarily if people are reading my writing or not, but just the fun of writing my own adventures for a series that I particularly enjoy. The Pokemon world specifically is a place that's just full of endless possibilities and experiences, leaving the door wide-open for further additions.

I'd say I'm just like everyone. I have a creative mind and I want to help express it. That, and I just want to give people something to just sit back and enjoy and not have them criticizing it.

I have a series I started writing several years ago and having barely done anything with it, I hope to try and revive it will I work on another series. Hopefully I can have both series up and running (or at least started) by the beginning of next year.

To sharpen my writing skills and for recreational purposes.

Hell, recreational purposes would be enough for me.

It helps to strengthen my writing skills and it's also a lot of fun. I enjoy breathing life into creatures that don't often get the chance to shine. It's fun to let a Golett or a Golurk have an actual personality and interact with its Trainer, since those two are golems that aren't supposed to have real emotions. Getting inside their heads and thinking the way a ceramic ghost robot might think is kinda fun every once in a while.

I don't anymore, but when I did, the reason was because I really only liked Pokémon because of the Pokémon themselves, and I wanted to do things with them the way I wanted to do them, not just how the original work dictated me to do them. If you take a look at my old stories (although looking back at them I don't think they were really any good), you'll see that training and battling Pokémon really wasn't the most important part of what I wrote, and was only there as a base to springboard off of. If I were to continue writing, I'd follow that same spirit the whole way through.

Pokémon has so much creative potential apart from the original games (including all the officially made spinoffs) that it's ridiculous to think that there's any one "canon" that can be followed when writing anything. And that's part of what makes it so wonderful. What you should include in a story is exactly what you decide you should include.

I write whenever I get a good idea and want to share it with the world, and see what other people think.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom