• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why does Ash get all the fan favorite pokemon now?

KenzeyEevee

Be kind and change the world!
Reaction score
Hello you all.

With the capture of Riolu, I wonder why the started to give Ash fan-favorites or a dream team of pokemon? And they are all fully evolved except Riolu and Sobble, who has to debut yet. Also how is your dream team of the pokemon Ash can catch/owns?

I guess they didn't want to go with the old formula of only giving Ash new Pokemon each generation anymore? Either way, it's nice to see him getting Pokemon people wanted him to have for ages.

In terms of fan-favorite dream team, I can't think of many more Pokemon besides the Larvitar he left at Mt. Silver that people really wanted him to have. There's probably a bunch of options I'm blanking out on right now.

Personally, I was hoping for the 1 Starter per character set up that we had in Hoenn/Kalos because I liked the idea of each main trainer having one. In this case, Gou with Scorbunny and Ash/Koharu with Sobble/Grookey (interchangeable). It seems that Sobble is likely joining Ash's team (not confirmed yet, but there's a lot going for it), so that leaves Koharu with Grookey. I liked the idea of Ash-Grookey and Koharu-Sobble, but whatever. However, there's also talk of Ash getting both that I'm not a fan of.

That said, we don't know if Ash will catch more than 5 Pokemon this series, so there's the possibility for rotation (including the older Pokemon).

I will be honest in saying I didn't want Ash to have a Riolu. I know Pikachu gets plenty of exposure already, but I always wanted him to have a special power with Ash that wasn't tied down to a series' gimmick. With Ash having Aura, I thought it would've been a great way to give Pikachu a power-up/transformation that wasn't tied down to a single region.

PIkachu has also been with Ash his entire journey, meeting literally every Pokemon out there, battling the equivalent of gods multiple times in the name of protecting his trainer, and has been exposed to pretty much every unique energy/wave. Even if he can't connect with Ash through Aura, I'd like to think it's still possible for them to have a power/transformation unlike anything we've seen before that would be the culmination of everything they've been through. However, a power like that won't show up unless it's the end of the series, and we'll be long dead before that.

Last edited:
Because the new series isn't set in only one region so the writers finally have freedom to have Ash catch Pokemon from any region since they can promote whatever Pokemon they want. Them going with fan favorites for the most part just makes sense since those are the kinds of Pokemon that sell the most merch.

A lot of things have been changing recently so I figure that the writing team is beginning to break out of their habits by trying new ideas. I don't know if I really like seeing Ash get a bunch of popular mons from past generations, but whatever I'll go with it for now.

Hasn't Sylveon received some merch recently? I feel it has and that could hint to Koharu getting an Eevee that becomes a Sylveon. I can see that happening.

Would be pretty ironic of her getting that one because of her so-called "cold" attitude towards Pokemon.

On the bright side, female characters will typically get female Eevee, so we'd get to see the heart-tailed Eevee in the anime!

This is almost a month old but I want Ash to catch a Zorua/Zoroark so, so badly. There have been a few appearances of Zoroark in merchandise that is making me hopeful.

This is almost a month old but I want Ash to catch a Zorua/Zoroark so, so badly. There have been a few appearances of Zoroark in merchandise that is making me hopeful.

Out of all the pure dark types, the only one i can't see him getting is Zoroark, due to its Ilusion ability (Ash isn't a dirty fighter, unlike Gladion for example, so he ain't gonna use this ability anyways), meaning there is literally no point in him getting Zoroark.

However, what they can do is make a rival for Ash who has a Zoroark as his main Pokemon (So not Gladion) and forms a rivalry with Lucario.

I suppose that since the writers no longer have the “new region only” filter, the popular pokemon of each region are their compass regarding captures.

Unfortunately, if that’s the only guideline followed, I fear his team might become predictable after a while.

Unfortunately, if that’s the only guideline followed, I fear his team might become predictable after a while.
They should give Ash a Trubbish and then make it the Infernape/Greninja who hogs increasingly large amounts of importance--nobody will see that coming.

Joking aside, while I'd like to see some unexpected captures and not just the previous region superstars, I can understand why the writers would want to focus on popular Pokémon from previous regions, especially ones like Lucario that were requested at the time.

They should give Ash a Trubbish and then make it the Infernape/Greninja who hogs increasingly large amounts of importance--nobody will see that coming.

Joking aside, while I'd like to see some unexpected captures and not just the previous region superstars, I can understand why the writers would want to focus on popular Pokémon from previous regions, especially ones like Lucario that were requested at the time.

True.
I wouldn't mind if he fills up his existing mons list with types he has limited ones of. And while he technically has a ton of normal types due to his flyers, i wouldn't mind Ash getting another Pure Normal type mon or at least a Normal type mon with a different secondary typing than the generic Flying type. Stoutland is a really solid and underrated Pokemon (I also overlooked it up until Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, when i decided to give it a shot) and i wouldn't mind Ash getting it.
He also needs more a Pure Bug type mon (He only has dual typed ones), a dual typed Ice type mon (Because Glalie is Pure) and a Dual typed Rock type mon.
Chances are slim for a Pure type Fighting type (Because of Lucario), but still not impossible. And with Donphan being his only Pure type Ground type, i hope he gets another Pure type.
A pure Dark type isn't a luxury either, but a neccessity.

A pure Dark type isn't a luxury either, but a neccessity.
Is a pure Ghost type a "necessity", too? I can't see Ash with any pure Dark type other than Absol (Zoroark's gimmick would get old pretty quickly and Ash showed no interest in Nickit). I honestly don't think that the writers care about types that much, let alone the distinction between pure and mixed. Heracross is essentially a pure Bug type since it merely used Focus Punch once.

I want to see Espeon as part of the main cast, but I think it should belong to Go at this point. He needs a popular Pokemon as his second staple. Ash should just keeping using Mimey, which is certainly not popular in the typical sense, but rather the funny one.

The only "Fan-Favorite" Pokémon that I'd like Ash to get would be either Zoroark or Zeraora. Both seem to be appearing judging by the Poster so I hope there is a chance.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom