• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why does Brock always have his eyes shut?!

I have a theory... In Japanese cartoons foxes are often drawn with "line" eyes, to make them look cunning. Perhaps they intended Brock to be the clever one of the gang, because he's often coming up with plans and theorising about things, or maybe it's a reference to his Vulpix.

I have a theory... In Japanese cartoons foxes are often drawn with "line" eyes, to make them look cunning. Perhaps they intended Brock to be the clever one of the gang, because he's often coming up with plans and theorising about things, or maybe it's a reference to his Vulpix.
Seeing how Takeshi got Rokon in the anime (yet his design existed prior to this), I'd actually say your cunning idea is more than likely. Game Takeshi was suppose to be extremely serious and wise, but also unable to stop laughing once you got him started. Seeing how squinted eyes are applied to both cunning and comical characters, I'd say it's actually a mix of the two.

He just has small eyes. Besides, it's kind of disturbing when they're wide open. I seriouly doubt anyone wants to see him walk around with his eyes wide open all the time.

Last edited:
Let's see- that's how the anime made him and that's how he'll stay. I could care less about Brock anyway- when was the last time that he has done anything notable in the series?

That doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand. Please don't try to turn this into a character-bashing thread.

Aladar said:
He is squinting...

Again...you have zero proof of that.

In some episodes he open his eyes when a girl he falls inlove of, but most of the time, he choose to keep his eyes close. It make him look cooler with eyes shut.

Ash super-glued his eyes shut when they first met.

Truth, I saw it.

I've noticed that the "wiser" characters have squinty eyes compared to the other characters. Like there was this episode of Naruto and he had the squinty eyes whenever he hung around this annoying little kid that made Naruto look well-behaved. When he hung with his peers, his eyes were normal.

Like there was this episode of Naruto and he had the squinty eyes whenever he hung around this annoying little kid that made Naruto look well-behaved.

True, true.

Yeah, when he was with Konohamaru. It made him look wiser then, but the rest of the time, the squinty eyes are used to make him look like a fox (he does them when he's confused or saying something silly in those instances too), albeit a far cuter one than the Nine-tailed Demon Fox. ^^;

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom