• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why does everyone choose Piplup as their Gen 4 starter?

Weird because I thought more people chose Chimchar based on what I've seen on other forums. But if I had to guess on why some people prefer Piplup I think it evolving into a Water/Steel type seems more original than getting another Blaziken in a monkey suit.

I never liked Empoleon's bottom-heavy, weeble-esque design - in fact, I don't ever recall having completed a DPP playthrough using it.

Competitively, Infernape has always had the clear edge thanks to powerful, complimentary moves such as Flare Blitz and Close Combat, the ability to go both Physical and Special (or mixed) with decent priority moves on both ends of the spectrum, and even a great support movepool with options such as Taunt and Stealth Rock (there's even a reasonable defensive set that uses Will-O-Wisp and Slack Off).

although I haven't finished my Pearl game (due to how slow the game is, I'm only the 7th gym) - I picked Piplup to just get a Pokemon to start with, at the time I didn't liked any of the 3 starters
boxed it as soon as I could transfer Pokemon from Soul Silver, had my team already picked

I picked Chimchar but would've selected Piplup as my second choice. I like Empoleon a lot and I think lots of people had the same thing in mind when they picked Piplup.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom