• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Why is the reception for Sword and Shield so polarizing?

The only reason for me it the Dexit and their refusal to patch the game along with their asspull reasons... If the animation is so fantastic along with gameplay and plot, the cuts could be excused but in the end it is just a half step forward 5 steps back for this gen

Not hate but disapointed. Moves, abilities but hope they can make changes next games.

Maybe they think about changing those moves?like pursuit?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is probably the best possible idea by Game Freak and Nintendo for the first fully new Pokemon game on Switch to not be impossible to top!

There may be, not counting remaking previous Gens, two or even three more new entries in the series until the Switch actually evolves into new hardware!

Previously the hardware would cycle to the next without needing to release more than two new regions altogether per system. I should clarify that i am not saying this was done on purpose but I think the results will be hugely positive!!

It is probably the best possible idea by Game Freak and Nintendo for the first fully new Pokemon game on Switch to not be impossible to top!

I disagree. I don't think it's a good idea for GameFreak to not try to make the best possible Pokemon game. There's really no reason for GameFreak not to try their best. There's no hard ceiling, no upper limit to how good a Pokemon game can be, and opinions regarding the quality of the games are highly subjective. I think gen 6 isn't as good as gen 7, but I know there's many people that would argue the opposite. You lose nothing by making a great game.

Last edited:
I don't hate the games at all and probably never will! But since this seems like the perfect place to safely tackle that reddit list Imma do it here!

There are probably unmarked spoilers below! DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED.

1. Dexit - I could not care less about dexit. I've played many monster games where not all the monsters make it to the next game. Pokemon's just been an exception for years, not the standard. Plus, I don't use pokemon I don't catch in the wild anyway. This has no effect on my play style so this isn't a 'problem' to me.
  1. Cut Moves - I use what I'm given and this really doesn't bother me at all. (I have more problem with the concept of one use 'technical records' added to the mix of things than this.)
  2. Short Game - Irrelevant. I tend to take SO MUCH LONGER than most people who play games because I talk to literally everyone and run around like a moron looking at things.
  3. Graphics - Complainer needs eyes examined (and I'm basically legally blind~) because that looks lovely and an improvement from Sun and Moon! Even the wild area's how I'd expect a big open expanse from gamefreak. (Remember. This is Gamefreak making this. NOT. NINTENDO. You can't compare SWSH to Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. Gamefreak does not have the skill the teams that worked on those two games.) There's a reason I'm not interested in an open world pokemon game. The Wild Area explains this perfectly. Do I find it pretty? Yes. Do I think gamefreak has the skill to make an entire open world game that's pretty, well handled, and good? Hah hahaha. Oh Hell no. Need I remind everyone of the whole "every Zone has its own copy of character models" discovery from Sun and Moon? A Million Lillies for everyone.
  4. Model Pop-ins upon getting close - Disappointing, but not surprising. Not a big problem for me either. Again. Gamefreak aint master programmers by any stretch. A million lillies for everyone.
  5. Animations - One more time. A million lillies for everyone. Of course they'll reuse animations where they can. Also that turning animation on the box legendaries in cut scene doesn't bother me as much as it seems to for everyone else.
  6. Cutscenes and Restrictions - Meh. Don't care. I like cutscenes. Anything's better than the barely existent story and character interaction that was Gen 1.
  7. Difficulty - Game's not to hard? Excellent. Sometimes I like not being overly challenged. But then again my motto in rpgs tends towards "THERE IS NO KILL LIKE OVERKILL. IMMA GRIND SO MANY LEVELS RIGHT NOW."
  8. Non-existent post game - The only time I can think of a pokemon game having a really good post game was ORAS. Sun/Moon was okay, never got to XY's. Otherwise there's never been an interesting post-game for me. (No, I don't count the return to Kanto as post game. That's just arc 2, electric boogaloo with Red as the final boss.) So we're basically par the course with Pokemon games in my eyes.
  9. Limited wild catching based on level - Finally, something I agree is shite. Yeah this is dumb. They should not have done this. It hurts literally no one if someone catches a high level pokemon. Good for them if they manage it! Unless you make all owned pokemon stop listening to you if you don't have a proper badge, this makes no sense. (Note: DO NOT DO THIS GAMEFREAK. I will will so many house spiders upon your offices.)
  10. Feature Removal - This is my surprised face. I expect good ideas to get tossed by the next generation by this point. Gamefreak is hella dumb about this. Gods are they dumb about this. I'm excited for when G-Max is added to the list.
  11. No size scaling - Yeah this is dumb, but the only times this really happened were in side games that probably weren't programmed and junk by the main series Gamefreak team. Again. A million lillies for everyone. This doesn't really bother me though. I'd rather not have the battle camera zoomed SUPER FAR OUT and the smaller pokemon looking like dots because GIANT POKEMON HAS ENTERED THE GAME.
  12. No GTS - Pfffffft. I didn't really trade in the first place outside wonder trade. I have no friends + crippling anxiety so wonder trade was about the extent of it. I didn't like the GTS system when I did decide to use it. I'm not paying for online interaction anyway so its a moot point all over.
  13. Main Console Game Price increase, same old content - Surprise! Here's the worm in the apple for everyone who was stoked about a main console pokemon game! The moment the switch was a thing and there wasn't a new side console coming I knew this would happen. Big name brand is gonna get the high end game price.
  14. Performance- 30fps - Hahaha, Imma stop you right there, angry reddit hivemind. I could not give any less of a flying firetruck about FPS. It all plays the same to me and my dumb eyes. The slow down can be kind of annoying for me, but eh. A million lillies for everyone. I don't have high expectations from gamefreak.
  15. Soft-Lock gamebreaking bugs - Oh boy they screwed up again! Like saving in Lumiose in X/Y. Really annoying. I don't like this. This is dumb. It's like they don't have quality testers do much at all. This is why I save compulsively anymore.
  16. Lack of Quality, Effort, Polish - I'll give them quality and polish. However I'm sure the people at gamefreak put in as much effort as they could on sword and shield. It's just that... they're not the best programmers out there, somehow. A million lillies for everyone.

TL;DR- Most of that is entirely an opinion that I don't share. I agree on a few points. Gamefreak not program good. A million Lillies for everyone.

I disagree. I don't think it's a good idea for GameFreak to not try to make the best possible Pokemon game. There's really no reason for GameFreak not to try their best. There's no hard ceiling, no upper limit to how good a Pokemon game can be, and opinions regarding the quality of the games is highly subjective. I think gen 6 isn't as good as gen 7, but I know there's many people that would argue the opposite. You lose nothing by making a great game.

That is very true and i understand thanks to your wonderfully written post!!

I think what will be crucial is that, in order to make the best possible Pokemon game, they do really need to know as much as possible what the fans and players, of all levels/old and new, really want! I think they already have received a lot of that information even before this Gen has released, but after they actually began previewing it!

Looking at the video (archived version) the OP provided as evidence for this, it looks like the player runs into an exclamation point right before the Pokemon so maybe it was just an insanely convenient random encounter. Though, the battle dissolve doesn't look like the battle dissolve for random encounters...

If it's true that we cannot see shiny Pokemon in the overworld, that would be rather annoying, especially since LGPE had shiny overworld Pokemon.
Well duh that’s the point of the surprise. It wouldn’t feel the same at least for me anyway.

Well duh that’s the point of the surprise. It wouldn’t feel the same at least for me anyway.
I've never played LGEP, but as someone who has played a game from every generation, often multiple times (as a kid I only had enough money for one game for a couple years, I played soulsilver countless times), and NEVER encountered a wild shiny, running through the wild area and having to do a double take cause a MF'n SHINY just RAN BY ME would probably be one of the hypest things imaginable.

Last edited:
Some people just have impossibly high expectations for the games just because they are now on a home console and cost 50% more.
People are setting their expectations too high by wanting a game to justify a higher cost and a more powerful system? I mean, I can't say I disagree with you. This franchise has taught me to never have any expectations.

People are setting their expectations too high by wanting a game to justify a higher cost and a more powerful system? I mean, I can't say I disagree with you. This franchise has taught me to never have any expectations.
And, I usually like to keep my expectations low. As a result, I find myself less likely to be disappointed.

Being a Pokemon fan has taught me that sometimes even your bare minimum expectations can be too high.

Do I hate it? No. Far from it. I pre-ordered it, I will play it and I will enjoy it. Is it perfect? Far from it. Does it deserve constructive criticism in the hope of improvement in the future? Yes, definitely. Especially graphics-wise and in terms of difficulty.

Anyway, the new UI and its font isn't praised enough. It's sleek as Hell.

The UI is something I can definitely appreciate after seeing Hometown Hero's dreadful UI

Some people just have impossibly high expectations for the games just because they are now on a home console and cost 50% more.
And this is a bad thing because...? You're not wrong but I think those are things people should want. Why can't Game Freak make a game as revolutionary for Pokemon as BOTW, SMO, or any other first party Nintendo game? And why should fans be satisfied with a 50% price hike for a game that has less content?

And, I usually like to keep my expectations low. As a result, I find myself less likely to be disappointed.
Don't you see that as a problem, though? We're trained to accept increasingly diminished returns. We're paying more for less. Pokemon should be like other franchises: evolving and taking things to the next level, instead of constantly taking things away and gong backwards. We should actually expect them to be at their very best on the Switch, because the system is much stronger and they need to justify the price hike we're getting.

Look at how other franchises are going above and beyond for their Switch entries. What Pokemon is doing isn't normal. None of this is normal. None of this is good. It's extremely anti-consumer. I'm not saying we should ask for the moon (though we honestly should), but what does it say about the franchise when its own fans feel they should not expect anything?

Being a Pokemon fan has taught me that sometimes even your bare minimum expectations can be too high.
You don't know how hard it is for me to ditch my Gwenpool sig and use Dewey from Malcolm in the Middle. Again.

Last edited:
It's okay to have high expectations. Especially for the highest-grossing media franchise in the world.
I'd as go as far as to say that, barring stuff like an all-regions epic MMO, there's no such thing as too high of an expectation for Pokemon. They have the fanbase. They have the resources. They can even have all the time they need. The problem is purely on management and how they refuse to properly train employees, hire competent ones, and divert from the annualization.

And this is a bad thing because...? You're not wrong but I think those are things people should want. Why can't Game Freak make a game as revolutionary for Pokemon as BOTW, SMO, or any other first party Nintendo game? And why should fans be satisfied with a 50% price hike for a game that has less content?
This is especially considering that Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time. It's estimated that Pokemon has brought in more than 92 BILLION dollars in revenue. The Zelda franchise and Mario franchise's combined revenue doesn't even scratch that, coming in at less than half. The quality of content being produced is not consistent with other 60 dollar games, and certainly doesn't approach what you'd expect from a franchise bigger than Star Wars and the Avengers. Does this mean Pokemon games need to consistently be contenders for game of the year? No! It should mean that proper turning animations for the games mascots should exist, however. Instead, we get moonwalking wolves and levitating wingulls.

I'd as go as far as to say that, barring stuff like an all-regions epic MMO, there's no such thing as too high of an expectation for Pokemon. They have the fanbase. They have the resources. They can even have all the time they need. The problem is purely on management and how they refuse to properly train employees, hire competent ones, and divert from the annualization.
Agreed. Which makes me upset that whenever people try to bring these valid points up, reasonably, it's mischaracterized as unnecessary complaining and a toxic attitude. That's why this Sword & Shield controversy is as notable as it is. It's not solely just the condition of how these games are being released with the content they do and do not have, no-it's a culmination of years of Game Freak choosing not to make effective gameplay choices, choosing to constantly disregard amazing features, purposefully releasing remastered versions of the same game unnecessarily, etc. Bringing a mainline game to the Switch was their chance to tip the point back in their favor; instead, they didn't and because they took away even more of precedent staple than ever before (Dexit) without really offering up any type of reasonable compensation for denying fans such an integral part of their Pokemon experience (because, yes-every Pokemon is someone's favorite), and doing so in light of other very successful Switch releases such as Breath of the Wild, here we are.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom