• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why does is it so unbelievable to have a male coordinator in the cast?

Would having a Male Coordinator apart of the main cast be a bad thing?

• Absolutely Not, it's a nice change!

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Yes, it's never going to happen anyway!

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I'm so done with da sparklez, contests need to go!

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • I'm cool with whatever happens with contests

Votes: 18 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cascada

Reaction score
I love Dawn! I love May! I love contests! When May left, I'm not going to lie, I was happy to see she was growing as a person, and felt a need to be independent.

I don't want Dawn to leave, however, if she leaves, I'll be proud, because I know she'll leave for a life-changing experience, after already dealing with one through traveling with Ash and Brock.

Misty is my favorite character, and I love her very much. I can't help but notice that out of all the main girls, she's the only one career goal wise, that is different, as well as attitude and character.

With that said, I want contests to stay, but having another coordinator female is repetitive. If Dawn does leave, I don't want the next girl, if Misty doesn't return, and yes, I have faith in that she one day will, be another coordinator.

My whole thing is, regarding the fanbase, some say contests appeal to females only. However 5 users on here: Myself, Iteru, Trainer Yourself, Piplup, and Gible all are male, and love contests.

With that said, why is it so hard to believe that there can't be a male coordinator.

I'd love to see a Female battler and a male coordinator next saga, only if Dawn leaves. I love Brock, but I'm not really worried about his position whatsoever.

I know threads like these have been done to death, but would having a male coordinator be that bad to people?

Are people afraid he'll take some shine away from Ash, or that females will lose interest?

How do ya feel?

PS: Sincere apologies for the typo title era!

Ash is male, Brock is male. If they replace Ash or Brock with a male coordinator, he and Dawn would be redundant. If they replace Dawn with a male coordinator, there would be no female humans in the main cast.

And let's face it, contests are just girl appeal. Call it sexist, but they care about ratings, not abolishing gender stereotypes, and it works. Making the character a male would lose them female viewers.

Goodness, these threads are getting tiring and uninteresting.

They should kill the Contests altogether. If Dawn's contest arc is any indication, then no, I don't need to see it continue like this.

I worry the next rivals will somehow be even worse than this time around.

Last edited:
Well, why not have a main girl doing something else? The introduction of the Pokethlon means that contests can be done away with as they are in reality nothing more than an insignificant side quest anyway.

It would be a nice change of pace but it will never happen. If they replaced Dawn with a male coordinator some people would say its sexist because they took females out of the main protagonist. If they replaces Brock with a girl she'd be doing about as much as Brock does(Ash is already the battler) so people would call it sexist that the girl does nothing. It's a lose-lose situation so unless they incorporate a third goal then the coordinators will probably remain to be female. People are crazy and cry foul at anything, they're was the woman that said Jynx was a racial stereotype and that guy that said Kadabra was based off of him. It would be best and play it safe just so they dont have to deal with all the BS(why do you think we havent seen a Kadabra in forever?)

Hilarious. The writers are now stuck in a, "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.

There's no way to get out of this now. We either sit through coordinator after coordinator, or no females on the cast.

Goodness, these threads are getting tiring and uninteresting.

Oh well! Sucks for you dude!

They should kill the Contests altogether. If Dawn's contest arc is any indication, then no, I don't need to see it continue like this.

That's your opinion, to each its own. There's still a hint of sexism in all anime, we need to break it as a fanbase.

Why the hell wasn't Misty sharing the spotlight with Ash, or get more battle time.

I worry the next rivals will somehow be even worse than this time around.

Someone's pessimistic.

My whole thing is, regarding the fanbase, some say contests appeal to females only. However 5 users on here: Myself, Iteru, Trainer Yourself, Piplup, and Gible all are male, and love contests.

What about meh? I like teh contestz, too!! :U lol

I'd love to see a Female battler and a male coordinator next saga, only if Dawn leaves. I love Brock, but I'm not really worried about his position whatsoever.

I'm with you on this, I'd rather have a male coordinator, but only if Dawn leaves.

What's so wrong with contests? They've been getting better with each passing season, IMO.

Well, why not have a main girl doing something else? The introduction of the Pokethlon means that contests can be done away with as they are in reality nothing more than an insignificant side quest anyway.

Contests may not be a big deal in the games, but they are in the anime. Otherwise, we'd have no plot for May and Dawn. (Well, we would but just not as interesting)

Can't you say that about the Pokeathlon too?

I'm fer it, but only if they get rid of the whole cast, or if Brock leaves. I don't want a group of three guys.

i don't think i would like a full male cast. i always kind of thought they could leave the contest stuff to girls. ( not trying to be sexist, but it works for them really well, and brings much life to the show)

what i would like is that they add a 4th person to the crew, i mean why not. they did this in AG (even though max didn't do anything), why cant we do this here? do they really think that the viewer will get overstimulated from keeping up with 4 people. i think that would be good if they did. girl would be coordinator and we could have a second female deal with the pokeathlon.

i don't think i would like a full male cast. i always kind of thought they could leave the contest stuff to girls. ( not trying to be sexist, but it works for them really well, and brings much life to the show)

what i would like is that they add a 4th person to the crew, i mean why not. they did this in AG (even though max didn't do anything), why cant we do this here? do they really think that the viewer will get overstimulated from keeping up with 4 people. i think that would be good if they did. girl would be coordinator and we could have a second female deal with the pokeathlon.

Or that could work too. I really liked the 4-man group the AG cast had.

I'd love it if the BW cast was Ash, Dawn, Lyra, and the GenV boy. It'll never happen, but fans can dream can't they?

Or that could work too. I really liked the 4-man group the AG cast had.

I'd love it if the BW cast was Ash, Dawn, Lyra, and the GenV boy. It'll never happen, but fans can dream can't they?

yeah i was kind of hoping for that, along those lines, but i guess for the writers they just want to stick with a trio.

If they do stick with the trio, I hope its not as bland as the DP trio was. Seriously, the main girl and the sidekick need to actually feel like friends.

I doubt it'll have as little chemistry as this trio did.

If they do stick with the trio, I hope its not as bland as the DP trio was. Seriously, the main girl and the sidekick need to actually feel like friends.

I doubt it'll have as little chemistry as this trio did.

i don't think were viewing the same show, there were lots of depiction of friendship throughout the whole cast. but whatever, do what you will

I don't like the concept of having a male coordinator as part of the main cast. If there are contests in Gen V, the Gen V girl will pretty much follow in May's and Dawn's footsteps.

It doesnt sound unbelievable at all.People are already sick of continuous girl replacements wanting some change and bringing new male guy for a change would be welcome thing.
Of course in that case,male coordinator will probably receive less screntime than Ash wih gyms and girl with some new quest does,seeing how contests would be having less of importance to overall series but it would still act like nice change of pace bringing some shaking into current cast instead of usual,repetitive Ash,Brock and coordinator girl(which gets dumped for new one) formula.

And let's face it, contests are just girl appeal. Call it sexist, but they care about ratings, not abolishing gender stereotypes, and it works. Making the character a male would lose them female viewers.

That doesnt mean how some new quest couldnt be introduced instead of them with next girl doing it,still being appealing to female part of audience.Take for example Misy,she didnt do as much like coordinators do but she was very popular among girls.

If they replaces Brock with a girl she'd be doing about as much as Brock does(Ash is already the battler) so people would call it sexist that the girl does nothing.

Not really,girl will always get more screentime than Brock does.As its been showed,while there were no contests back than MIsty still received little more than Brock does and whoever comes into his place it depends on his goal how much screentime he will receive.

Reason why Brock isnt receiving much is comiong from passivity of his goal regarding bereeding which isnt much about competing,so its harder for writers to find more things to give him do.

If girl comes into his place it will depend on her ambitions how active she will be.If gol is more connected with battling,and partaking she will receive more screentime thn Brock currently does.

It would be best and play it safe just so they dont have to deal with all the BS(why do you think we havent seen a Kadabra in forever?)

Things cant be played safe forever,otherwise people will get sick of current formula with result being drop in TV ratings.In order to keep things fresh change is needed from time to time.

Its best not to have a male coordinator. Do you want a guy dressing up like Kenny does in the contest? Ugh.

The dress-up was a terrible idea, as the next girl will be forced to wear dresses like Dawn does. Its so cheesy.

Its best not to have a male coordinator. Do you want a guy dressing up like Kenny does in the contest? Ugh.

His GF outfit is okay, there were certainly worse there. His normal contest outfit however was dreadful.

The dress-up was a terrible idea, as the next girl will be forced to wear dresses like Dawn does. Its so cheesy.

She could wear a suit thing like Zoey did for the Wallace Cup xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom