• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why does nobody ask about Dawn's father?

Cybersai

Reaction score
Everyone keeps asking about Ash's father, or who Misty's parents are, yet nobody has ever wondered why Dawn doesn't have a father?

Do you think they're divorced?

Discuss.

After all these years of speculating about Ash's father, I find father speculation to be tiring.

I'm just going to say Cyrus for the hell of it.

If Giovanni can be a candidate for the father of Ash, why can't Cyrus be Dawn's?

(Though I'm not really being serious...)

I personally would care more for what in the hell happened to Misty's parents. I mean, we don't see either, compared to just Hikari's mother...

Hmmm thats what I was wondering too...
maybe her father is on a journey just like Ash's dad..or he could have died or maybe divorced too.

But what I noticed is that there are quite a few characters who's parent/s aren't mentioned or seen in the anime..like Misty, Dawn, Gary and others.

Because everyone assumes that the same issue that surrounds the other missing parents must also apply to Dawn's father.

They have no real importance to the "plot" so why invent an entirely new character just for "completeness" sake.

EDIT: My theory on Misty's parents was that they were the original owners of the Cerulean Gym, however, they were killed when Misty was only a small baby. The will stated that the Gym would be passed to the 4 sisters. Although it's only Misty who really cares about it's integrity.

Because everyone assumes that the same issue that surrounds the other missing parents must also apply to Dawn's father.

They have no real importance to the "plot" so why invent an entirely new character just for "completeness" sake.

This is the same fandom that has been whining about Ash's father for 11 years, I wonder why they haven't found something "new" to whine about.

My only guess is because people only like to discuss things from Kanto, and anything from the newer seasons don't cause as much "discussion" for some people.

Ever notice the things about the show that people talk about the most, all originated in Seasons 1 and 2? Ho-oh, the GS ball, Giovanni, Ash's father, etc.

WTF are people so hung up on the first seasons? I understand the GS ball, but Ho-oh and Giovanni are clearly being saved for the end of the series.

WTF are people so hung up on the first seasons? I understand the GS ball, but Ho-oh and Giovanni are clearly being saved for the end of the series.

Perhaps it's because the later seasons are so well written that their is barely any loose ends that really need tying up (Aside from Nando currently).

Anyway, I'm beginning to doubt that Giovanni's involvement is being saved for anything, since the games themselves have moved away from Team Rocket's explots and invented newer teams in their place. Team Rocket is still around, they're just not being involved in anything major that concerns Ash and friends.

Also, they introduced the coordinator arc, which seems to have taken up half the anime's available screentime.

Another thing is that most people are most familar with the first few seasons, so they talk about that the most rather then later, less familar seasons.

I'd like to ask how most trainers start off with a single parent (I'm of course exempting May).

The title of this thread bothers me. It should be "Why doesn't anyone anyone ask about Dawn's father?" D:

Because he's not important.

People wonder about Satoshi's father because: a) he's the main character and b) early on, he was mentioned to an extent.

Hikari's just never had her father mentioned. We've never heard anything about Shigeru, Kasumi or Kenji's parents, either. Nor Musashi's father, iirc.

They're simply not important to the series.

Because he's not important.

People wonder about Satoshi's father because: a) he's the main character and b) early on, he was mentioned to an extent.

Hikari's just never had her father mentioned. We've never heard anything about Shigeru, Kasumi or Kenji's parents, either. Nor Musashi's father, iirc.

They're simply not important to the series.

I agree with Kuwabara. If Dawn's father was important to the story, he would have been introduced. The main focus of the show is the "kids" after all, who cares about their parents. -_-

I really thought Dawn's mother having a life-long friend call Yuri would give it away. Sorry, had to say that.

But I think I have to agree that her father just isn't important to the series.

I agree with Kuwabara. If Dawn's father was important to the story, he would have been introduced. The main focus of the show is the "kids" after all, who cares about their parents. -_-
Pokemon = Peanuts =D

This discussion reminds me of my dream and failed fanfic. Dawn's dad got killed by a mafia leader. Probably dawn's dad did die.

This is simple really. Kids like the idea of having no parent/adult supervision, so why give the characters parents?

I actually think Dawns dad is just on business trips/out of the house a lot :p

Her father hasn't been mentioned at all, so I'm not sure she has one. But just because he's not been featured doesn't mean that he doesn't exist.

I'm not sure if Pokémon would have a main character have parents who were either divorced or had a baby out of wedlock? I guess divorce isn't such a monstrosity, but I think the latter situation might be.

Maybe Dawn was spontaneously created by midichlorians?

I have been watching too much Star Wars lately.... But my earlier guess on Dawn and Ash having the same father was serious.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom