• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why Does The UK Use Different Text?

Meowstic

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I tried my best to make the thread title as clear as possible, but I think pictures will be more effective.

I've noticed in the last little while that English Text that appears in dubbed episodes, mainly the opening credits and the episode title, is different between the USA version and the UK version.

USA:
ic1s3a.png

UK:
2645baw.png

I know its random ,but it seems so unnecessary. From what I can see, the text says the exact same thing between the two versions, so why would the Uk version go to the trouble of editing the text?

My guess would be that there's a single company that makes up the title screens for the various European dubs - Spanish, French, German, Italian, etc. - and that English title screens as just a part of that package.

Aren't the ending credits re-typed as well?

I also feel that these localization changes made to the UK version is also pointless, fair enough for our neighbours in continental Europe who speak different languages but since these edits became noticeable when Black & White started airing, I thought to myself why? The "To Be Continued" end cap is also edited with a black bar and said text in bold Aerial Font which again is fine for non English speaking regions but why the UK, since "To Be Continued" is already placed in English, even in the Japanese version.

The answer to Who's that Pokémon was also moved to the end of the show, rather than straight after the break though since Season 16, this has since been rectified. Another thing that I would like to point out is that the Australians who also have PAL use a clean and un-edited version of the show from the US which has better picture quality and runs at a smother frame rate. The dropped frame-rate is quite noticeable in certain camera pans where the picture judders slightly and also in some action shots such as Charizard using Flamethrower in the Episode N Opening.

The show didn't have these sorts of edits in the past so for the UK at least, these edits are redundant and I don't recall CITV commissioning a specially edited version of the show in the past except maybe the first 20 episodes of Pokémon Advanced where scenes from episodes (which included credits, episode titles and important story points) were cut for scheduling constraints.

I know that Season's 12 & 13 had their aspect ratio altered from 16:9 to 4:3 for PAL (both UK and Australia), that was also an awkward change that bothered me especially at the time of the changeover to HD and I thought there was a problem with the automatic aspect ratio adjustments on my TV. :-D

English version isn't the only country that gets two separate video edits. I know that German dub was doing their video editing domestically - with different titlescreen font and TBC translated by cropping out original video - until the end of season 13, but at least since season 11 there was a TPCI-ordered edit done in SDI Media, looking consistent with other dubs, with "black bar TBC" and such. This version was shown on german Pokemon TV site/app, and probably Disney XD as well.

My guess would be that there's a single company that makes up the title screens for the various European dubs - Spanish, French, German, Italian, etc. - and that English title screens as just a part of that package.

Basically that. Since SDI Media Poland took over video localizing during season 13 from one of the scandinavian branches, there's a separate "UK version" of video produced. In seasons 14 and 15, the text in opening was changed as well - different font and fading.

They do a sloppy job, though. The PAL conversion is blurry and ghosting all over the place, and in XY case they weren't even bothered to adjust the text placement.

Aren't the ending credits re-typed as well?

Probably, but they look almost identical. There could be minor spacing changes though.

Apparently SDI gets a "clean ending" (lol) which is the same as regular one, just with black screen where voice cast/translation crew etc. is credited. For each dub (except French, where everything is translated and retyped) these parts of ending are localized, but for UK version the parts of original ending are copied. As a result, during some seasons, the aspect ratio of some ending credits didn't match internally.

EDIT: forgot to add, but apparently they do similar edits to movies since M15 as well - all credits are re-typeset in different font and style, and ending credits even have different placement and timing of credits.

Last edited:
Because the UK likes to remind "y'all" we're not the 51st state :p

I wish they'd do something similar in the games as well, no offence but it grinds my gears when I see the date in my English game written in your date format MM/DD/YYYY, as it just doesn't work for me but when I go to the other European languages they have the proper date format DD/MM/YYYY

There is also a big difference in the Movie 16 between the U.S. version and European (Uk included) Version of the Opening.
In the European version we have the opening song cleaned from the "noise" of pokémon, in the US version they have added the noise of Pokémon
throughout the song... honestly do not know why

There is also a big difference in the Movie 16 between the U.S. version and European (Uk included) Version of the Opening.
In the European version we have the opening song cleaned from the "noise" of pokémon, in the US version they have added the noise of Pokémon

Yeah, apart from the Beautifly noises at the end, it was pretty much a clean version but one thing that annoyed me slightly about Movie 16 here is that it ran with the sound at a slightly higher pitch whereas the USA version ran at the right pitch but didn't have a clean version of "It's Always You and Me". I hope that when the DVD is released, they'll have at least the movie at the right pitch.

I wish Movie 16 kept all the noise out in the USA version. There wasn't any sound for Movie 14 and Movie 15, so why add noise that really adds nothing and only takes away from the song?

I checked US version of the movie and... it's the same (of course except UK version being sped up) - no Pokemon noises since first verse.

There's another difference, though, the movie's "opening credits" appearing earlier and Genesect movie logo being moved to an earlier point. Probably to reflect Keldeo movie US/Canada TV edits, although this time it doesn't look like anything was cut or timecompressed.

I checked US version of the movie and... it's the same (of course except UK version being sped up) - no Pokemon noises since first verse.

There's another difference, though, the movie's "opening credits" appearing earlier and Genesect movie logo being moved to an earlier point. Probably to reflect Keldeo movie US/Canada TV edits, although this time it doesn't look like anything was cut or timecompressed.
What? Is not the same! How you can't hear the difference of the "noise" of Pokémon?
This is the opening in the US Version:
[video=youtube;vdVWznNC84U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdVWznNC84U[/video]
And this is the UK / European Version without noise!
Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened - It's Always You and Me (full opening) - YouTube
:-|

Oh. The version i found was probaby edited, it also included UK ending as well. Interesting.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom