• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why don't Gamefreak care about the fans anymore?

Regarding the changing natures thing, someone on Reddit had an excellent idea of a facility that teaches Pokémon to act as if they had different natures in battle.

For example, a bashful Raichu goes to the acting facility, and is taught how to act jolly in battle. The Raichu remains bashful outside of battles, but shows the qualities of jolly Pokémon while battling.

Edit: the reddit comment

Last edited:
Would that user be Hematite, by any chance? (That's his Relic Castle username, I don't know if it's the same on Reddit) That idea's one of my favorites, it's such a great blend of gameplay and personality in Pokemon!

Would that user be Hematite, by any chance? (That's his Relic Castle username, I don't know if it's the same on Reddit) That idea's one of my favorites, it's such a great blend of gameplay and personality in Pokemon!

I really cannot remember the username, since I usually don’t focus on usernames while leisure-reading on Reddit. I'd credit the user if I could remember.

Hey, I think that is Hematite! (Username's a similar concept, and they use similar smilies-I'll message them to make sure) "Acting" a certain nature in battle is such a fun concept, and I really hope it gets put in! (even though it's pretty much impossible to have fan ideas in canon games) It'd be really easy to tie into the existing world, with PokeStar Studios and actors throughout the regions.

A few things:

1. GF doesn't need to care about what the fans say because people are going to buy the games anyways.

2. Online battling can't replace battle facilities because they don't give BP and you need to spend hours and hours breeding the perfect Pokémon with the perfect IVs, the perfect Nature, the perfect breeding moves, and the perfect Ability.

3. I didn't like how they removed popular features like Megas and Alola Forms. Mega Stones are locked behind the Battle Tree, which is tedious. Who knows what they will do with other new and good features like Poké Rides?

4. HMs was bad because HM moves take moveslots. Let's also not forget that your Pokémon only have 4 moveslots, and some HM moves are bad.

I have yet to see any reason why Game Freak/The Pokémon Company International/Nintendo does OR does not care about fans. I have yet to see ANY evidence to indicate that there is a unified FANBASE that they have to listen to. We are not unified in what we want and there will never be a unified voice for them to listen to.

I think we should all take a moment to be thankful for what we have. We are part of a fandom that for now only has to pay $40 per game at time of release. We have no paid DLC. We have no micro-transactions. We have literally nothing to do except sit back and grind these games to our hearts content.

Based on conversations we are hearing from the devs, we might very well be at the last generation of Pokémon games that doesn't have a monthly fee. Look at what happened to EA with Battlefront II. We could be getting to a point where you get one option for a Starter unless you Pre-Order the Special Limited Starter edition. Want more Pokéballs, pay $0.99 for a basic, $1.49 for an Great ball, and $1.99 for everything else. Want to earn a badge? Grind for 60 hours or pay $9.99 to access the Gym. I'm looking at the state of the games right now and I foresee a possibility of this happening.

I plan to continue to speak with my wallet for the Pokémon franchise. I know that TCPi doesn't care about me, just my money.

Last edited:
I have yet to see any reason why Game Freak/The Pokémon Company International/Nintendo does OR does not care about fans. I have yet to see ANY evidence to indicate that there is a unified FANBASE that they have to listen to. We are not unified in what we want and there will never be a unified voice for them to listen to.

I think we should all take a moment to be thankful for what we have. We are part of a fandom that for now only has to pay $40 per game at time of release. We have no paid DLC. We have no micro-transactions. We have literally nothing to do except sit back and grind these games to our hearts content.

Based on conversations we are hearing from the devs, we might very well be at the last generation of Pokémon games that doesn't have a monthly fee. Look at what happened to EA with Battlefront II. We could be getting to a point where you get one option for a Starter unless you Pre-Order the Special Limited Starter edition. Want more Pokéballs, pay $0.99 for a basic, $1.49 for an Great ball, and $1.99 for everything else. Want to earn a badge? Grind for 60 hours or pay $9.99 to access the Gym. I'm looking at the state of the games right now and I foresee a possibility of this happening.

I plan to continue to speak with my wallet for the Pokémon franchise. I know that TCPi doesn't care about me, just my money.

I sincerely hope that the highlighted portion isn't true. That would be the death of the franchise.

I don't think it's so much that Game Freak doesn't care about their fans, but more like they don't listen to ideas, or implement common requests. I think their mentality is that Game Freak knows what the fans want, so they don't do as much research of fan demands.

Which then leads to a situation like USUM where a sizable amount of people think it was a bad decision. A game people had already played with minor differences - a DLC that cost £40. I think they should be doing more market research on what people actually want in a game so that they can deliver a better product, and maybe win back some fans that left over bad choices GF made.

Unfortunately, USUM seem to be doing well sales-wise, at least in Japan and the UK. So maybe it's some us fans that don't have a clear idea of what we want and let Game Freak do whatever they want.

A game people had already played with minor differences
This has been true of the franchise since Gen 1 - Japanese Blue then Yellow. Kind of a definitive edition for those who have yet to pick the generation up at all, but for those who have already played it in its earlier versions, there's not much incentive to get it too. (Which reminds me, I never did finish Yellow or Crystal back in the day.)

I am considering picking up either Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, but I agree that unless I change up my playstyle or something, I'm likely to feel like I'm just repeating what I did in Sun, possibly down to the same-similar team members.

This has been true of the franchise since Gen 1 - Japanese Blue then Yellow. Kind of a definitive edition for those who have yet to pick the generation up at all, but for those who have already played it in its earlier versions, there's not much incentive to get it too. (Which reminds me, I never did finish Yellow or Crystal back in the day.)
It has been true since Yellow, but I'd argue in Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and BW2, none of them were on consoles capable of DLC. There was a need for these updated games, because the capabilities of the consoles couldn't allow for DLC updates. The game carts themselves could be modified a little, in the case of RSE and the Pomeg berry glitch. With the advent of the 3DS and DLC, Pokemon fans came to expect that the released game were the sole and final product, especially in the case of XY which didn't receive a third game. To many people it looked we had hit the end of the need for third versions with minor updates or improvements, so when USUM came around the expectation was that USUM would deliver far more than a mere DLC could, and that it would be a full-priced game worthy of the price.

Yep. There was no SD card before the 3DS (DSi really, but it was hardly a must-buy system) and alterations to the cartridge would have been minimal. There was DLC for Crystal before RS, actually, but it was just a neat compilation of text tied to the News Machine.

And as far as Blue, Yellow and Crystal are concerned, fans should realize that Game Freak was a very small company back then. The comparison is moot.

Arcalargo said:
We are part of a fandom that for now only has to pay $40 per game at time of release. We have no paid DLC.
This notion that paid DLC is evil is unwarranted if you look at Nintendo. Mario, Zelda and Fire Emblem have handled it very fairly, and having to pay $40 for a "new" game like USUM is by far a worse option. Pricing aside, not everyone wants to replay a game just to get to the new content.

And Yokai Watch 3 has free DLC that is better than USUM's additions. It also has a third version, but most of its content was part of the free DLC.

Last edited:
It has been true since Yellow, but I'd argue in Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and BW2, none of them were on consoles capable of DLC. There was a need for these updated games, because the capabilities of the consoles couldn't allow for DLC updates. The game carts themselves could be modified a little, in the case of RSE and the Pomeg berry glitch. With the advent of the 3DS and DLC, Pokemon fans came to expect that the released game were the sole and final product, especially in the case of XY which didn't receive a third game. To many people it looked we had hit the end of the need for third versions with minor updates or improvements, so when USUM came around the expectation was that USUM would deliver far more than a mere DLC could, and that it would be a full-priced game worthy of the price.
True but ironically I remember that many people wanted a Z version and were disappointed when that didn't come to be.

Current Game Freak doesn't seem to care about fans who like challenging single player games. Never mind that difficult games have made a comeback over the last several years, I guess Game Freak was too focused on the mobile market to notice. Nintendo on the other hand has noticed; Breath of the Wild is the toughest Zelda since Adventure of Link. I'm hoping they'll put some pressure on Game Freak for the Switch game.

I've some people claim that USUM are the hardest games yet, to be fair. But it's limited to some of the bosses, so it's a mixed bag. The "champion" is definitely one of the weakest ones in the series.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom