• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why Giratina with legs is better than Giratina without legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

samtatr

Reaction score
I really like Giratina. I think its a briliant pokemon. but I would like to point out a couple of things that have been bothering me, and explain why Giratina is far better with legs than without.

Giratina.png

As you can see here, Giratina is in a sensible form. It is large and strong, with six legs ensuring maximum balance and a pair of wings suitable for flight. As a predator Giratina would probably be very effective.

Lets look at Giratina in its non-legged form:-

Giratina_origin.jpg

Here Giratina's is streamlined, and no doubt far faster than the other legged form. However, in this form, I fail to see how Giratina could possibly live, as its wings are thin and small, and the big gaps between the wings would create a large amount of air resistance. Therefore to stay up at all, Giratina would need to use a huge amount of energy. In the legged form this would not be a problem, as Giratina has the muscles capable of creating such energy. However in his non-legged form there barely seems any room for muscles which would be needed to create such energy, due to the un-aerodynamic features of the wings.

Assuming Giratina is able to produce the energy needed to fly, it then has to face the problem of food. Whilst the legged Giratina could feed on ground animals, the non-legged form would find this impossible, as it cannot move on the ground, and to eat a ground animal whilst hovering in the air would require Giratina to literally hover upside down. With its wings that have big gaps in them.

Thanks for reading this long,boring post and if you have any comments on this then please reply. I probably missed something, and no doubt someone will present me with an argument for non-legged Giratina. Please do :)

GIRATINA WITH LEGS IS AWESOME.

I believe the terms are Giratina Altered Forme (with legs) and Origin Forme (without legs).

Well seeing as Giratina is the only living thing in the distortion world and it is in Origin Forme (no legs) in the distortion world I wouldn't think it would even need to eat and the distortion world has odd gravity so it just kind of floats.

Giratina is a pokemon that inhabits a dimension where time and space do not work as they should. I don't think it needs to eat. And I believe it also has Levitate as an ability.

Yeah, Origin forme lives in a world free from the normal constraints of gravity (shown in both the game and anime, though a little differently). His "wings" in Origin forme aren't meant to be used as "wings" in the Distortion/Reverse World, they're just tentacles.

I don't think Giritina "eats" either, what would he eat in his realm? (Not)Seaweed? Somehow I doubt it. Considering his origins I doubt he needs food.

And I believe it also has Levitate as an ability.

Exactly. The discussion of wings/no wings matters not, as Giratina (in its Origin Forme), has levitate as an ability.

Wings play no part in flight.

Mew is portrayed as flying in the anime; however, Mew doesn't have Levitate as an ability and has no wings. It can learn fly, but how do you fly with no wings?

I think discussing Pokemon logic in this manner gets you nowhere. In the Pokemon world, it is what it is.

Barring is that, not only a ghost (making it technically "dead") and does live in a dimension that appears bereft of all life, there are flaws in this "living" argument.

Owls have no problems flying, grabbing rodents off the ground, and flying away with them. Sea birds are also capable of diving into water and plucking up fish with their beaks. Origin forme is VERY serpentine; it's body is flexible like a snake. This "upside down" theory is silly. That thing can bend like Rayquaza.

And Altered forme doesn't even have hands to bring its food to its mouth, with all its six legs. If it can bend its neck to pluck food from the ground, Origin forme can bend, too.

Ignoring the leg problem, I've always liked Origin forme's head better. The way the crest splits at the front to reveal it's mouth is a interesting design.

And like others said, it seems Giratina only needs to walk when outside the Distortion World, where gravity is normal, so it does make sense to have no legs the rest of the time.

I thought it was a given that ghosts can float around wherever they please without the need for muscles

Bleh, the "Origin Form" always bothered me for some reason. It just seems unnecessarily, and the legged Giratina looks much better. Btw, I laughed at the "hovering upside down" thing you mentioned. XD

You're getting technical with Giratina? Pokemon attacks aside, should we go over the biological impossibility of all the other Pokémon?

Then there's the fact that Alternate Forme Giratina can fly, when the wings it currently has is even less believable to holding it up. It's disproportionately small considering its size.

Therefore to stay up at all, Giratina would need to use a huge amount of energy. In the legged form this would not be a problem, as Giratina has the muscles capable of creating such energy.
And here's more biology fail, since muscles are using up energy, and one would need a greater intake of food to maintain larger muscles.

Oh and leg muscles aren't what's responsible for wing movement. I'm not sure what other type of muscles you could be talking about as its core is relatively the same size.
and the big gaps between the wings would create a large amount of air resistance.
The reason its called air resistance is because there's something there to resist it, big gaps wouldn't resist air. Yeah, its impractical for catching wind to keep itself up, but again, its "wings" aren't even what it uses to fly.

the non-legged form would find this impossible, as it cannot move on the ground, and to eat a ground animal whilst hovering in the air would require Giratina to literally hover upside down.
Must be why snakes have gone extinct, and the evolutionary history of serpents have shown a preference for leg growth. After all, no legs = no ground movement

Last edited:
There is less logic in your argument against the Origin Forme of Giratina than there is in the monster itself.
No need to say any more on this, everyone else has basically pointed it all out.

Origin forme giritina just lets it's back wing tentacles flop around like little socks unless it's planning on attacking with them. The wings in both forms are more like a 'thing' than a muscular structure due to Altered Form's spikes moving around on the wings themselves instead of staying still.

plus to kill anything altered forme would have a bit of difficulty due to how friggin huge its neck is,it has to bend all the way up and down and may even get dizzy from it. I dont think i've seen an altered forme giritina in a ram-chase pose though.I'd presume it'd be difficult for it as its such an unatural position

Origin forme giritina never had to eat anything anyways because it lives in that other world. unless you give it a griseos or whatever orb so it can fly all over the place in the pokemon world. if it can escape it's trainer and live on it's own,it'd be a much better predator than it's altered forme because it wont make much sound when flying all around. altered form has six loud thudding legs, a dead give away that somethings gonna fuck some shit up, and even if it tries to ambush it has to act like one of those litle drinking bird things and hope to strike the prey item in a pecking motion. While origin forme can manuever effortlessly in the air,taking out trees and whatnot and maybe causing more carnage all over the place and eating some pokemon that died,or maybe just hovering above some trees and waiting near a watering hole so when something goes to take a drink it can just swoop down.

Last edited:
Major flaws in the argument:

You're using real world physics, which the Pokémon world bends to it's liking, especially in the Distortion World, where Giratina lives.

Renegade Pokémon:
Dictionary said:
renegade |ˈreniˌgād|
noun
a person who deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles.
• a person who behaves in a rebelliously unconventional manner.
• archaic a person who abandons religion; an apostate.
adjective
having treacherously changed allegiance : a renegade bodyguard.
• archaic having abandoned one's religious beliefs : a renegade monk.

So Giratina doesn't abide by the laws of Arceus, which is also evident through the Pokédex entries, so it is safe to aside that it also didn't abide by Arceus's World laws (physics). And in BW, the Origin Forme Sprite shows that it levitates without the use of the "wings", which move similar to claws.

There is no evidence that Giratina needs food to survive (that I am aware of), and since there are Pokémon that live without food (artificial Pokémon), then it is also safe to assume that it doesn't need food to survive.

In my opinion, the Origin Forme is better.

Outrage and Kyuuketsuki completely killed my argument there. Nobody is going to convince me that Giratina is better in the orgin form however. I knew that somebody would raise the matter of levitation, and not needing to eat because Giratina is a "ghost". I dont want to "get technical" with Giratina really, but I would like to point out that the way I see it, Giratina's altered form is more practical than its origin form.

I like both formes but Origin Forme has a more "eerie" appearance and its a lot sleeker looking too.

Altered Forme's head is the only part that I like.

Outrage and Kyuuketsuki completely killed my argument there. Nobody is going to convince me that Giratina is better in the orgin form however. I knew that somebody would raise the matter of levitation, and not needing to eat because Giratina is a "ghost". I dont want to "get technical" with Giratina really, but I would like to point out that the way I see it, Giratina's altered form is more practical than its origin form.

both are practical but impractical which i kinda said in my post

although I told see why you wont accept someone else's views but think others are going to accept yours without a bit of a fight.

Stubbornness in a debate like this when you've already admit you lost isn't exactly all that helpful. I don't see how practicality has anything to do with this. If Pokemon were drawn practically, Scizor and Scyther would be in trouble.

Really, we've destroyed your points and proven how you are in fact wrong with your argument. To stubbornly continue makes little sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom