• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why grass?

Pokestar

Reaction score
As a pokemon fan the grass type doesn't seem weird, but if you actually think about it why grass? Why not plant. Grass is just a common plant, but grass type is pretty much plant type. I don't really care it's just weird to me.

Maybe they thought it would sound better.
Also people step on grass all the time... Same thing happens to Grass-types.

Funny that you mention it, because "Grass-type" in French is called "type Plante", which is... Plant type.
I personally think grass makes more sense and it sounds better, but that's just my opinion.

Honestly, I never thought about it before, just accepted it as a type. But now that you mention it, it is a bit weird, and limiting. Not too many Grass-types actually look like they are made of grass, but various other foliage.

Most likely "grass" is used instead of "plant" to be less specific, considering somethings are partially based on plants, or not plants at all in the case of the mushroom mons.

It's a direct translation of the Japanese name (Kusa), I believe. Moku or Ki (Wood) is traditional form of it when talking about the Asian classical elements, so I have no idea what they were thinking myself.

For almost identical reasons I think Flying-type should have been "Wind-type" so we could logically have more pure-types of it.

perhaps it's because not all grass pokemon are plants, and most of the moves they use is from the ground? (I'm not making any sense whatsoever)

For almost identical reasons I think Flying-type should have been "Wind-type" so we could logically have more pure-types of it.

...Except most Flying-type moves don't even cause wind (Wing Attack, Peck, Brave Bird, Aerial Ace, Pluck, Fly, Sky Drop etc). Not to mention flying types aren't generally based on the concept of wind, more like birds, bats, dragons, bugs, and other things that can preform flight or at least be able to glide.

Is there actually a "grass" Grass Pokemon?

As in...a Pokemon with grass on it? I don't think there is.

Maybe grass usually comes to mind when people think of plants.
I remember once someone thought there was a leaf type in Pokemon because of the leaf symbol in the Pokemon cards.

Is there actually a "grass" Grass Pokemon?

As in...a Pokemon with grass on it? I don't think there is.
Probably Torterra. The green part of its landscape-shell is quite possibly grass. Oddish's leaves also look vaguely grassy when Oddish buries itself.

Maybe it's called a grass type because... I don't know? But it might have
something to do with Ivysaur. It was the first grass type so, I guess
it's related to Ivysaur

I want you guys to say the name "Plant-type", and then "Grass-type", out loud. Which rolls off the tongue better? I think Grass-type does, and is in some ways more of a neutral name than "Plant-type". This is probably what ran through the minds of the English translators that were helping design the English Red and Blue Gameboy games. I don't know the Japanese name - both the word itself, and the translation of it.

Flora-type. It's weird now that you've mentioned it. I just accepted grass as acceptable until now. Also, fungi are not grasses or plants. Fungus-type it is.

Steel-type as opposed to metal-type?

Grass and steel sound better than plant and metal. It's also a little more colloquial to call them grass and steel - in a good way.

I also sometimes think flying would be better as wind. Wind sounds better, but flying is more closely associated with the type's actual properties.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom