• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is Ash's Swellow resistant to electric attacks?

GreenTank

Reaction score
So, I've been re-watching the episode where Ash caught Taillow, trying to figure out why does it resist electricity so much which should be weak to. But... that episode didn't reveal anything, to make matters worse, none of the episodes did. There were multiple situations in Hoenn where Ash's Taillow/Swellow is shown resisting electric-type moves and even the characters mentioned that it's weak to them. The thunder armor thing was just the final nail to the coffin, proving once and for all that Swellow resists electricity. Okay, so maybe Ash had a special Swellow, but the thing that annoys me the most is not that it's resistant, but because it was never explained - why.

I just assumed it was just really determined and strong for a Taillow. And that determination and strength helped it to endure Electric attacks better through sheer persistance. Either that, or it took Electric attacks normally and it was just so determined that it didn't let them get it down no matter how damaged it got.

(Note that Ash had to catch Taillow for its own safety because it kept going after them, even though it was getting more and more injured.)

But that's just how I interpreted Swellow's situation.

I think some Pokémon in the anime may develop resistances to certain types they are supposed to be weak to, either by training hard or by sheer determination. In Tailow's case, I would say that it resists Electric-type moves by both training and determination. It is just that awesome :p

Pikachu can Thunderbolt Golems. Sometimes moves with totally different powers compete in the air. Battles in the anime don't make much sense.

I used to be curious about this too, but it would seem that the writers have actually sourced this characteristic from Taillow's Pokedex entry in Ruby:

TAILLOW courageously stands its ground against foes, however strong they may be. This gutsy POKéMON will remain defiant even after a loss. On the other hand, it cries loudly if it becomes hungry.

The problem with the writers using this quirk for Swellow is that they are notorious for having twisted game mechanics in the past such as Pikachu occasionally affecting Ground types with its Electric attacks, therefore giving Swellow and its flock such endurance at the stage of it being wild, untrained Taillow with no explanation as to why is bound to leave viewers scratching their heads. And of course, then there was the Thunder Armour plot device which has always seemed ridiculous even when taking into account Swellow's high endurance.

Because he's a determined little bugger who don't take no crap from nobody. And that is why he will always be Ash's most bad-ass bird pokemon (unless Talonflame overtakes it for baddassery)

Maybe he got too close to the transformers a few times when he was sitting on some power lines

The PokeDex in the episode said that Tailow do not back down, no matter how strong the opponent.
(even if this IS the anime)

Also Max asked Brock the same question and the response was:
Brock: Actually, the attack DID have an effect but still...
May: ...Tailow just won't give up.

Even though that's still kind of vague, that was their best answer.
lol.

I can see your point, guys. However...

Swellow got killed by one Luster Purge from Latios. How many times was Taillow hit with a Thunderbolt from Pikachu in its first appearance? Five? Six? And it still wouldn't faint. Pikachu managed to kill Latios with around the same number of Thunderbolts + Iron Tail x Luster Purge explosion. So... Pikachu can kill a Latios with a few Thunderbolts, but cannot kill a Taillow, BUT Latios can kill a Swellow with one Luster Purge... MIND BLOWN

Did the writers randomly forget about Swellow's superman walling abilities in the Latios battle?

^ Plot

They didn't have a lot of time left and they wanted to make Latios look strong. So Swellow was a fallguy.

^ Plot

They didn't have a lot of time left and they wanted to make Latios look strong. So Swellow was a fallguy.

So, they could have made Pikachu the fallguy and make an epic Swellow vs. Latios air battle instead.

I can see your point, guys. However...

Swellow got killed by one Luster Purge from Latios. How many times was Taillow hit with a Thunderbolt from Pikachu in its first appearance? Five? Six? And it still wouldn't faint. Pikachu managed to kill Latios with around the same number of Thunderbolts + Iron Tail x Luster Purge explosion. So... Pikachu can kill a Latios with a few Thunderbolts, but cannot kill a Taillow, BUT Latios can kill a Swellow with one Luster Purge... MIND BLOWN

Did the writers randomly forget about Swellow's superman walling abilities in the Latios battle?
Pikachu never got hit directly by luster purge though. The only time he collided with it at the end he fainted. And the OHKO was in no way plot only. Latios should be that powerful. Also pikachu fainted it with a volt tackle and iron tail combo not thunderbolt.

The determination factor I guess.

^ Plot

So, they could have made Pikachu the fallguy and make an epic Swellow vs. Latios air battle instead.

They wouldn't have Ash's last battle in the league not end with Pikachu and end with Swellow...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom