• All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Why is Cilan scared of Purrloin???

The Toad of Honor
Reaction score
Hi!
If there is a thread like this administrators can move or close this one. Now to the question. Why do you think that Cilan is scared of Purrloin? I think Purrloin cased him when he was young and that became some sort of thing he always remebered.

someone in the dark
Reaction score
My personal headcannon is still that he once tried to stuff one down his trousers and received a royal mauling to the crotch area.

And, from the looks of things, I'll always be able to keep that headcannon (as I doubt that the writers will ever provide an official explanation at this stage). This pleases me greatly.

Pokémon: Gen 8.0 You Can (Not) Catch 'em All
Reaction score
Maybe he's just more of a dog person? He seems to like Burgundy, after all. She's a dog person, I think.

Mutha'uckas
Reaction score
Maybe he's just more of a dog person? He seems to like Burgundy, after all. She's a dog person, I think.
I thought you were going to say "she's a dog" :I

I don't think we'll ever find out but i'm sure the reason is something quite boring. A purlion attacked him as a child, did something mean to him which wasn't all it seemed. Like the time Jessie hated Jynx for stealing her doll at Christmas, then when it was explained, she liked Jynx etc. It's usually something cheesy like that.

Maybe he just hates Purlion because it hunts bird/rodent/fish Pokemon for fun. Cats are murderers, less we forget.

Something
Reaction score
Maybe he just hates Purlion because it hunts bird/rodent/fish Pokemon for fun.
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the reason. One day Dent fishes up an amazing catch and then a Choroneko comes and eats it up on the spot in seconds.

someone in the dark
Reaction score
Maybe he just hates Purlion because it hunts bird/rodent/fish Pokemon for fun. Cats are murderers, less we forget.
I would point out that Cilan is only afraid of Purrloin, not cats in general. He was probably the nicest to Meowth during the whole Nyagotiator arc, after all.

Fire Chicken
Reaction score
I guess they wanted it to be plot-important at the first Purrloin filler, and since it has resonated among the fans, they kept it on.
During that episode, they could have make him stop fearing them if they really liked to. It's just COMIC RELIEF!

Reaction score
He was probably playing with one but it scratched him so hard he became so scared of them I think but I don't know for sure.

Formerly known as Tsu
Reaction score
During that episode, they could have make him stop fearing them if they really liked to. It's just COMIC RELIEF!
Comic relief or not, Cilan is generalizing the entire species of Purrloin based on his one bad past experience. It would be true character development for Cilan to admit outloud that not all Purrloin are bad. Sadly, we'll never get that nor an explanation on what happened to him in the past (as silly it probably was).

Bright Days
Reaction score
Because Cilan's fear of Purrloin is most likely just a play on the black cat superstition.

Reaction score
A Purrloin killed his mother, father, and/or widely unknown sister, Celectri.

Reaction score
Was playing one day, and then some Purrloin was playing and followed him all over the place and when Cilan told it to leave it Scratched him so hard he became afraid of it.

The one once known as Alphaphlare
Reaction score
I thought about it just now and what do we know about Purrloin? Well they suck a lot. I tried using one against Cress total failure. But maybe that's it he scared of them because he saw a extremely well trained one so it scared him to think such a lousy species can do that much damage.

Reaction score
It may be that Cilan was attacked my many Purrloin, just like Ash and Pikachu were attacked by a flock of Spearow. But it's just a guess. No one will ever know exactly why he is afraid of Purrloin.

Reaction score
I guess at kindergarten, Cress found a purrloin then decided to show it to Cilan. But it scratched him and lashed out at him, he fell, it frightened him, he wet his pants and got laughed at by Chili and a few other kids then it attacked him again causing Cress to scold it.

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
The whole thing was a missed opportunity in BW. Cilan could have gained some nice development if we learned WHY he is so afraid of Purrloin, as well as if he could overcome that fear, and admit not all Purrloin are bad.

Reaction score
Pity it wasn't game-canon. Can you imagine how easy his gym battle would have been?

"You are challenged by Leader Cilan."

"Cilan send out Pansage."

"Go, Purrloin!"

"Cilan fainted!"