• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is flying super-effective against grass?

I've always thought of it as a bird's beak could stab through a leaf. o__O

idk, that's always the picture I have in my mind whenever I think of Flying vs Grass.

I'd imagine the thought behind the super-effectiveness was that because Flying type is in the air they can cut Grass types, or that because most are based on birds, they eat the Grass types since they are mostly based on plants.

First of all, stop saying "leafs" guys. Its leaves, Leafs can only be used if we see more than one Leaf, and I mean the lass.

Agreed on Grass-type having too much weakness. We have Fire, which makes sense. Fire obivously burns grass, trees, and leaves. Flying for the same reason metion in the thread. No need to repeat the theories in this theard. Ice, which always confused me. Ice is close to water, and we see certain trees survive the cold. Just about everything can freeze as well, expect for fire of course. Then again thats another topic. I think I'm missing one, not sure. I really not focused on the grass-type to be honest.

On the subject of Grass-type having too much weakness, lets think about the notable Bulbasaur line. Its Grass/Posion dual type is not helpful a single bit. It just adds Psyhic and Ground-types to its weakness. Not good at all, since both the Squirtle and Charmander line can learn Earthquake. I really wished GameFreak made one of my favorite all time Pokemon much stronger than that.

I always thought it was because grass is stuck with its roots in the soil, so it has no chance battling or even reaching something that could fly! (Well, maybe bamboo)

They should resist each other, because in real life, they need each other to survive. Plants need the wind to carry their polled, while birds need seeds and homes which are provided by trees and other plants. In other words, they should resist each other and. Hope they implement that in Gen 5

First of all, stop saying "leafs" guys. Its leaves, Leafs can only be used if we see more than one Leaf, and I mean the lass.

Agreed on Grass-type having too much weakness. We have Fire, which makes sense. Fire obivously burns grass, trees, and leaves. Flying for the same reason metion in the thread. No need to repeat the theories in this theard. Ice, which always confused me. Ice is close to water, and we see certain trees survive the cold. Just about everything can freeze as well, expect for fire of course. Then again thats another topic. I think I'm missing one, not sure. I really not focused on the grass-type to be honest.

On the subject of Grass-type having too much weakness, lets think about the notable Bulbasaur line. Its Grass/Posion dual type is not helpful a single bit. It just adds Psyhic and Ground-types to its weakness. Not good at all, since both the Squirtle and Charmander line can learn Earthquake. I really wished GameFreak made one of my favorite all time Pokemon much stronger than that.

While I agree with your general post, I have to point out that the Bulbasaur example is downright erroneous. Poison gives it a super effective advantage against other Grass types and hits every single type (bar Poison and Steel) for at least neutral damage when combined with Grass. Furthermore, since Grass resists Ground, Bulbasaur doesn't gain a Ground weakness, just a Ground neutrality. In addition, he now gets a Fighting resistance since Poison resists the type AND, since Poison resists Bug and itself, Bulbasaur loses it's Poison and Bug weaknessess. Meaning that Bulbasaur has four weaknesses and four resistances, plus an extra super effective advantage as opposed to a pure Grass types five weaknesses and four resistances.

While I agree with your general post, I have to point out that the Bulbasaur example is downright erroneous. Poison gives it a super effective advantage against other Grass types and hits every single type (bar Poison and Steel) for at least neutral damage when combined with Grass. Furthermore, since Grass resists Ground, Bulbasaur doesn't gain a Ground weakness, just a Ground neutrality. In addition, he now gets a Fighting resistance since Poison resists the type AND, since Poison resists Bug and itself, Bulbasaur loses it's Poison and Bug weaknessess. Meaning that Bulbasaur has four weaknesses and four resistances, plus an extra super effective advantage as opposed to a pure Grass types five weaknesses and four resistances.

Had a feeling I said something wrong in that post. Haven't meesed with Bulbasuar or its line for months. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

If I look at the perspective of the person who made the game mechanics, of course he would think that plants are weak to birds/wind/flying. I guess it's just common sense.

I made a thread about how this type is weak to this and that before. It's currently being ignored and swept away...

I stick with the "plants have roots so the air always has it's way in the end" theory.

get a fan, put leaves in front of it, turn the fan on

THERE GOES THE BAGEL

that is why flying>grass

I lol'd, even if it doesn't make sense.

Ice... makes perfect sense since Ice kills most plants ecept for a very few and those have the added Ice Typing (Snover and Abamawsnow) Which lets them loose there Ice Weakness....

All of Grass weakness make sense

Fire Burns Grass

Poison kills plants (Weed Killer)

Birds eat Plants

Ice Freezes Plants

Bugs also eat plants and are famous for destroying crops

Wind rips up plants.
A better question is why flying attacks are weak against electric pokémon...

Or if splitting Flying mons and moves into "Bird" and "Wind" wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I admit they're a bit too close but "Bird-type" moves like Peck shouldn't really be super effective on Grass and "Wind-type" moves like Gust shouldn't be strong against Bugs.

I'll stop before I get too far into it! :sweatlol:

because I think the Flying type is sort of related to wind and air, so... the reeds bow to the wind, and the wind tramples the oak... :spin:

If there's one thing that I am actually wondering, is: Is everybody here happy that Flying is super effective against Grass? Personally, I explained the possible reason it happened (basically it was bird-related, remember Dodrio?), and even though I don't think of this matchup as fair, now that flying is diversified into different categories of flight, I don't think it would change because of the bird concept. I know everybody gave their reasons of this matchup, but I think I should repeat the question: Everyone, are you happy that Flying is super effective against Grass?

Thanks for reading.

If there's one thing that I am actually wondering, is: Is everybody here happy that Flying is super effective against Grass? Personally, I explained the possible reason it happened (basically it was bird-related, remember Dodrio?), and even though I don't think of this matchup as fair, now that flying is diversified into different categories of flight, I don't think it would change because of the bird concept. I know everybody gave their reasons of this matchup, but I think I should repeat the question: Everyone, are you happy that Flying is super effective against Grass?

Thanks for reading.

It is true that in a few cases, non-birdlike Pokemon using a few of their Flying-type moves against a Grass-type comes off as a little unfair. Grass has a LOT of weaknesses.
But personally from an amateur ornithologist's point of view, I don't think I could have it any other way. I'm content.

--"What Is" Jack

I don't know. I also don't understand how paper covers rock. Ever heard of a paperweight?

...must have something to do with leaves blowing in the wind.
Grass-type has a few too many weaknesses, IMO.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom