• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is Misty underrated as a battler?

Why are Misty's Battle Skills so Underrated?

• Ash was spoiled with main character luxury

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • They didn't appeal to fans

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • They really shouldn't be, cause she is better than Ash

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • IDK

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So lemme get the purpose of the thread straight, for clarity purposes. People have argued that Misty is not very good. Rather than counter the argument, you are instead making a poll that asks "Why do people not understand that I'm right?"

Yeah, you guys really have a lot to bash Scott about.

Yeah, you guys really have a lot to bash Scott about.

Most of the Misty supporters here don't actually bash Scott. According to one user, he "isn't as bad (as the rest)".

Anyway, the poll as Gible and I said before is completely biased. There is no "She's overated" option. All the options imply that she is good. It isn't fair representation.

Misty does have good battle skills, but she's not as good as Ash when it comes to battling.

But I still picked the 'Her skills didn't appeal to fans' option. A lot of people don't acknoledge her skills because they don't like her.

We rarely saw her fight and we don't think of her as being a gym leader much.
When you think of "Misty" you usually think of Ash's and Brock's friend, or that girl with the red hair and ponytail that just stands there.

^ No one is making threads about May constantly and unlike Misty, May does have some sort of relation to the current season because she plays a minor role in Dawn's arc.

Anyway, Misty is anything but underrated except in the eyes of her crazy fans who cannot understand why people don't agree with them.

You don't say... Where's the she's overrated option ?

So, I can't really give any reason why she's underated as a battler, because I think that people who think she's not that great of a battler base their impression on what was presented of the show where she...

1- Battled in less than 20% of the episodes she appeared in
2- Most of her important wins came from Psyduck, a pokémon she neither trained or really controlled in battle.
3- Because she's never been shown to win, let alone battle, against some strong opponents like Frontier Brains or Elite 4 members or some of the really strong gym leaders, like Volkner, Clair or Juan.
4- There's many trainers who specializes solely in water types who have been shown to be stronger than Misty, like Trinity, Juan and Wallace. You could argue that Wake falls into that category.
agreed, nothing more.

Misty was a decent battler, but not the best. At least when she was on the show, she was never showcased to be a strong battler.

Sure now that she's off-screen she's likely gotten much stronger, but since we don't get to see it, nobody is going to know the difference.

Misty almost never battled, when she did she was pretty good but it hardly ever happened. Most of her battles were against TR. Misty is not better than Ash. He defeated her in 2/3 of the battles that were finished. As Gible said, most of her wins came from Psyduck, a pokemon that she doesnt train and only seems to do something when it pops out against her wishes

She certainly isnt weak trainer at all.She shgowed impressive knowleadge not only witjh water types but other types too like when using different pokon for Princess Festuval.she showed abillity to control wild pokemon wjhich werent jher handling them in battle like it happened with Golduck vs Marina,she was able to come among top 8 in prestige water tournament like Whirl Cup,her battle score vs Ash was (1 win for her,1 for him,third untyed due to TR interruption at Cerulean gym),she was able to defeat fully evolved Poliwrathj with Poliwhirl(not an easy task to do),her skills were recognized several times by other trainers,etc.

As battler her pokemon and she as trainer are on higher level of experienjce than May or Daw are(not counting contests) due to gym leader status aswell having more "real battles" than they have showing to be a skillfull trainer,type advantage doesnt matter much since trainers at one type has been showed being able to overcome that disadvantage by teaching their pokemon counter moves increasing their chance in that case(like Misty did with Gyarados,and many of her pokemon being dual types).

THe main reason why some people tend to give Misty lower cedit than she deserves,is because of her Psyduck probably failing to understand how this pokemon was never intended to be serious battler but comic relief.

In end she is just as good as May and Dawn are.

Lol @ her being better than Ash.

In water field only using this type she is.

But, really people tend to underrate her becuase she didn't battle as much as Ash, or the other girls. She also really hasn't displayed anything on their level anyway.

Its quality what matters,not quantity.And Misty showed some impressive battling skills during her time.
Winning whole princess festival,coming top 8 in Whirl Cup,winning Seaking contest,showing impressive moves with Staryu vs Spencers daughter Molly Hale whose pkemon if i need to remind were much strionger than noral ones due to Unowns power,etc(list goes on).

1- Battled in less than 20% of the episodes she appeared in

Im curious to find out,from where did you pulled out exactly 20% percentage,and you forgett to include off screen battles or training which was referenced couple of times in series.

2- Most of her important wins came from Psyduck, a pokémon she neither trained or really controlled in battle.

The only important wins Psyduck took for her were in finals of Princess Festival and in Whirl Cup vs Ash.Thsts about it.Every other battle which she won was due to skill.

3- Because she's never been shown to win, let alone battle, against some strong opponents like Frontier Brains or Elite 4 members or some of the really strong gym leaders, like Volkner, Clair or Juan.

Like May or Dawn would stand a chance against any of them either.Ash loses all the time to E4.Besides how on earth Misty can battle against them if shes cemented at gym all the time which is holding her potential back.

I already provided some strong opponents which she battled against strong opponenzts diring time she was on show,Sure zthey werent on E4 level but stil falls under category of skilled trainers.

4- There's many trainers who specializes solely in water types who have been shown to be stronger than Misty, like Trinity, Juan and Wallace. You could argue that Wake falls into that category.

We cant know who is stronger between Juan and her,due to lack of info but im pretty sure she is much stronger than Wake is who didnt showed anything impressive being easily beaten by Ash.

So lemme get the purpose of the thread straight, for clarity purposes. People have argued that Misty is not very good. Rather than counter the argument, you are instead making a poll that asks "Why do people not understand that I'm right?"

The only real argument directed toward Mistys skill was,"she won some battles on Psyducks headache" which is pretty much failed argument since others already pointeed out how majority of battles were won on skill and not on "deux machine" effect.

Im curious to find out,from where did you pulled out exactly 20% percentage,and you forgett to include off screen battles or training which was referenced couple of times in series.
51 out of 271 is 18.8%, rounded to the first decimal place. Rounded up to the nearest whole number, it's 19%. If we include the battle she has against Molly, that's 52/272 and it's still 19%. Gible isn't pulling out those numbers of out no where and we're talking about what we can see on screen because what we see on screen is what we draw our conclusions from. Off screen battles do not count and when you're trying to use that to back up your argument, it's clear you're desperately grasping for straws.

And so what if Misty is better than Ash in the water pokemon field? Ash doesn't specialize, you don't compare them that way. Besides, most of his water pokemon have proven themselves to be tough battlers. Misty did not train one bit, during her time on the main cast. She rarely battled. Yet, some of her fans have raised her to the level of the elite when she is clearly not up to standard.

Last edited:
Misty taught Ash a lot you know, if screentime was shared between Ash and Misty, I personally believe Misty's battle skills wouldn't be so underrated.

Just take a look at Yugi and Mai Valentine from Yugioh. Yugi got more shine and wins cause he was the #1 main character, where as Mai wasn't, unfortunately.

Mai was really the only constant duelist in the original series, yet, got shafter to Yugi and Joey at times, or was considered a noob.

But really like Misty, she wasn't, she was actually better, because she didn't need the power of luck, or massive screentime to win duels, and the same goes for Misty.

Tell Me, how come Misty didn't share screentime with Ash. Her career involved battling, I know the show changed a lot since then, and she would get lots of screentime now if she were on, but if Misty and Ash both battled Gyms and entered Leagues, I always believe Misty would have placed higher.

In all honesty, Misty should compete in Leagues, to make her stronger, and to not rot at the Cerulean Gym.

TOO BAD. Use all the what ifs you want, that doesn't change the fact that during her time on the show, her battles amount to roughly 20% of her screen time. And you don't know that she would have placed better when from what we can infer from her episodes, she stands there, even when she has the ability to help out. Misty didn't need the power of luck? Oh, so Psyduck is just a figment of my imagination then. Her 'career' may have involved battling but she sure as hell didn't do much to do it. You can't just say 'she was actually better' when she only won ONE battle against Ash. ONE, where Ash was limited to the types of pokemon he could use. Brock was a better mentor to Ash than Misty btw.

Why is she underrated? Because Misty was not often shown battling on the show, and thus it is very difficult to judge her strength accurately. Yes, she had some battles in the animé, but not enough to compare to Ash, May and Dawn who evidently recieved more battling screentime (I'm counting contest battles in here too) and participated in large tournaments at the end of generations which allow people to make conclusions about their strength. (e.g., Dawn reached 2nd place in the GF, thus we can conclude that she must be rather good.)
This is not to say Misty is not good. But its hard to judge her level in these circumstances especially as she has not appeared on the show for a long time. So, what can we say? She is a good enough battler to be a gym leader, but is she an average leader or immpressively strong? Well, we don't know.

... OR "'I always found her to be rather the imbocile when it came to battling endowment. Not only did she depend on a mentally challenged member of the Anatidae family, she also did not fabricate in such sport as often as one would feel appropriate.'" But simply because I am Iteru's biatch. :p

Last edited:
TOO BAD. Use all the what ifs you want, that doesn't change the fact that during her time on the show, her battles amount to roughly 20% of her screen time. And you don't know that she would have placed better when from what we can infer from her episodes, she stands there, even when she has the ability to help out. Misty didn't need the power of luck? Oh, so Psyduck is just a figment of my imagination then. Her 'career' may have involved battling but she sure as hell didn't do much to do it. Brock was a better mentor to Ash than Misty btw.

Quality, not quantity. By your logic, even though Kingler had an amazing history with Ash League wise, it's whack as hell since it lost to Misty's Psyduck, which was its last battle since 2002.

I hope you don't expect me to feel bad, or feel like I should agree with you. I will always believe Misty was the best battler out of all the main character, whenever Misty did battle, I just loved her character.

Did you ever see the episode, Hook, Line, and Sinker, the battle between Poliwhirl and Poliwrath? That episode was awesome, IMO. The way Misty and Poliwhirl were in sync with each other, and the way Misty told Poliwhirl that as long as it did the best it could, that no one can call it a whimp, is great advice for the real world IMO.

You cannot give up in anything you do, as long as you give your best, that's all you can give. Yeah, Dawn, Ash, and May all proved this, but so did Misty.

And, lol, at people who compare contests with regular battles, clearly if they were the same, May and Dawn would be in Leagues, not Grand Festivals.

Misty had a lot of drive and ambition for those who don't remember. She asked Ash to battle Bulbasaur for him, she stood up to Team Rocket with just Goldeen, with not water, she saved Ash's life, she was his coach, let's not forget, she was the main character who had the most pokemon joining the show.

Ash only had Pikachu when they met, while Misty had Staryu, Starmie, and Goldeen. Believe me, if Misty shared the screentime with Ash like May and Dawn did, this show would be completely different.

I guess that's why I view Misty in a different light, because I know she is a lot better than what people give her credit for.

And, lol. In the Totodile Duel, Misty's Poliwhirl lost despite an evolution, but her Poliwhirl beat Totodile in the Whirl Cup, and was much better developed than Totodile was, especially water Pokemon wise.

Misty even said she was happy with the way things turned out, and Poliwhirl had came through for Misty on more occasions than Totodile, and had much better screentime, evolution time, and personality than Totodile.

I loved Totodile, but Misty and Poliwhirl had much better chemistry if you go and rewatch Johto.

Can you at least add an "I don't think she's a good battler" to the poll?

Can you at least add an "I don't think she's a good battler" to the poll?

That's virtually impossible bro....

It's a disgrace Misty was never given a water starter. Seriously, with the exception of Tracey and Max, every other main character had received a water starter.

I believe it's very ironic, that the water pokemon trainer, did not get a water starter. However, Misty is well off without one anyway.

Someone wrote this on youtube, and I love this quote, so I'll think I'll just copy and paste this:

"I don't like how they always made Ash seem like the more knowledgeable pokemon trainer of the two...Misty already had a few pokemon and a history as a trainer before Ash came, and even being older, more skill. Only when she joined Ash, she didn't battle anymore..."
MistyCallsKingdra1

So true! :)

Quality, not quantity. By your logic, even though Kingler had an amazing history with Ash League wise, it's whack as hell since it lost to Misty's Psyduck, which was its last battle since 2002.

You're completely missing my point. My point was that Misty hardly ever battled and from the few battles we saw? The major ones were won by Psyduck. There's little we can draw to say she's a better battler than Ash.

I hope you don't expect me to feel bad, or feel like I should agree with you. I will always believe Misty was the best battler out of all the main character, whenever Misty did battle, I just loved her character.
I never expected that. The only thing I was face palming over is that your argument is completely based off 'what ifs'. By that logic, we could fit the Eiffel tower into a bottle.

Did you ever see the episode, Hook, Line, and Sinker, the battle between Poliwhirl and Poliwrath? That episode was awesome, IMO. The way Misty and Poliwhirl were in sync with each other, and the way Misty told Poliwhirl that as long as it did the best it could, that no one can call it a whimp, is great advice for the real world IMO.
You cannot give up in anything you do, as long as you give your best, that's all you can give. Yeah, Dawn, Ash, and May all proved this, but so did Misty.
Then...what's your point? What makes Misty so special for this when all to the other characters have done this and with more frequency? There's a reason why ASH is the determinator, not Misty.

Misty had a lot of drive and ambition for those who don't remember. She asked Ash to battle Bulbasaur for him, she stood up to Team Rocket with just Goldeen, with not water, she saved Ash's life, she was his coach, let's not forget, she was the main character who had the most pokemon joining the show.

Ash only had Pikachu when they met, while Misty had Staryu, Starmie, and Goldeen. Believe me, if Misty shared the screentime with Ash like May and Dawn did, this show would be completely different.
It's hard to remember any of her ambition when she hardly did anything to further her goals. OH! And the first time she did outright say her ambition? It was in Johto and it was in a way that seemed liked she was just mimicking Ash more than anything else. Her way of standing up to Team Rocket with a goldeen was a joke in the second episode and notice in the next episode? She did nothing and told Ash to do all the work.

lmao What happened to "quality not quantity"? Ash quickly surpassed her regardless of her prior experience.

And again with the what ifs.

And I'm not even going to bother addressing the last bit because no one brought it up until you did. And Misty's bond with Poliwhirl being more interesting? Very much YMMV.

"I don't like how they always made Ash seem like the more knowledgeable pokemon trainer of the two...Misty already had a few pokemon and a history as a trainer before Ash came, and even being older, more skill. Only when she joined Ash, she didn't battle anymore..."
MistyCallsKingdra1

So true! :)
Well, that's what you get for not working hard. I mean, for someone with experience as a trainer, she was sure content to let Ash battle team rocket every time they attacked while she lifted a finger once a bluemoon.

Honestly, I don't even know why this biased poll is in the anime section when it clearly needs to be put in the Misty Fanclub. 8|

She's good. o.o But she's not terrific. I don't think so, at least. I like her a LOT. But I don't think she has as much natural talent as characters like Ash, May, and Dawn.

Honestly, I don't even know why this biased poll is in the anime section when it clearly needs to be put in the Misty Fanclub. 8|

Agreed. Need better options. Not even going to vote on it and I LIKE Misty. :p

Quite a lot of her victories were due to Psyduck. Psyduck and its headaches are some of the worst battles in terms of skill on the show. Its nothing but a deus ex machina. He comes out to battle on its own when the writers feel that there is no other way to give Misty a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom