• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is Misty underrated as a battler?

Why are Misty's Battle Skills so Underrated?

• Ash was spoiled with main character luxury

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • They didn't appeal to fans

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • They really shouldn't be, cause she is better than Ash

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • IDK

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you talking about exactly?Misty started off as little girl exploding over every little thing being insequre in herself,with time gradually changing becoming more selfconfident and responsible as person aswell her compley of inferiority she had which was caused by her older sisters diminishing over time.

But there is nothing in the plot that triggers this, usually character development is triggered by an event or obstacle for the main character to overcome. Aside from the early episodes in Kanto, Misty is essential the same character through out. It seems more like the writers were toning down her antics, instead of actually character development.

But there is nothing in the plot that triggers this, usually character development is triggered by an event or obstacle for the main character to overcome.

Let see,she had long time fear from Gyarados,but in "Cerulean Blues" managed to overcome it,she had complef of feeling inferior toward her sisters,but over time starting to become more confident in her abillities starting with winning Princess doll set,later on opening more to Ash and Brock,lashing out how she feels with time becoming less agressive bonding with them strenghtening their friendship,maturing more.
The more time poassedvshe stated to foirm opinion about her friends becoming close with them later on stating how they are her new family.

She also started to develop mother feeling toward Togepi,later on becoming little more calm with other side of her being showed while the older one still being present around.

After she left group,as we get to see in hosos and cameos she became alot more selfconfident and responsible with her deciding to take care of gym despite not being her desire to save good reputation due to them being unresponsible.

Thats called character development.

]
How exactly this thread turn out into discussion about which girl is better?Ah now i know,due to certain peoples disrespect.

The anime didn't focus on Misty's battling skills, because in the original series, Ash was the central character. It was only with May and Dawn that they were made central characters as well.

Let see,she had long time fear from Gyarados,but in "Cerulean Blues" managed to overcome it,she had complef of feeling inferior toward her sisters,but over time starting to become more confident in her abillities starting with winning Princess doll set,later on opening more to Ash and Brock,lashing out how she feels with time becoming less agressive bonding with them strenghtening their friendship,maturing more.
The more time poassedvshe stated to foirm opinion about her friends becoming close with them later on stating how they are her new family.

She also started to develop mother feeling toward Togepi,later on becoming little more calm with other side of her being showed while the older one still being present around.

After she left group,as we get to see in hosos and cameos she became alot more selfconfident and responsible with her deciding to take care of gym despite not being her desire to save good reputation due to them being unresponsible.

Thats called character development.

]

Fair enough, but alot of this takes place after she leaves. From Kanto through Johto, her character to me at least is essential the same. It seems that they just toned the antics from the early episodes then actually character development.

Misty isn't underrated as a battler. She simply isn't a very good battler. None of her battles were terribly impressive, ever.

I know! Misty is REALLY underrated. :( I don't know why, though. Maybe because of Ash...

Underrated implies that she's better than the fandom thinks. If anything, given her battle record and the amount of praise she receives from the fandom, I'd say she's OVERrated.

No it doesn't work like that at all. Is the Prime Minster a better person than you, because he has more of a storyline, and lots more of a purpose?

That's BS you could love a character for just being themselves and having a great personality (and that's why a lot of people love Misty) she had the best personality imo, as well as the best chemistry within the group compared to May or Dawn.....She also had interesting Pokemon, (not all cutesypie) and her own gimmick of loving water types.

It's no doubt that May and Dawn had more of a role in the anime, but it's completely open to preference as too which girl was the best to have around.

It pisses me off when people try to explain things like this,This analogy is honestly,stupid.Its like trying to answer an economic question with quotes from the art of war.Or trying to answer a historic discussion with stuff from hamlet.We are talking about literature and fictional writing,not about politics.

Determining if a character is good or not at all can be done objectively.And it directly redirects to how much the audience likes said character.Many people like misty(including myself) because she is a good character,Why she is a good character?because she fulfilled her role on most parts.

"You cant say if a character is good or bad!"

Wrong,I can,as characters are tools with an specific function,move an storyline.If a character does not fulfill its purpose,then said character is bad.

Let me expand this further.

In the animated movie by disney, "Mulan" we meet the heroine named Mulan,a young beautiful chinese girl with aspirations and dreams. She is settled in a country with rich and vast culture.We see her fall in love with her commander over the curse of the movie,in a logical and credible way.
mulan-princesa-disney.jpg

Now lets go see another heroine.This one from the movie "Titanic the legend goes on"

Meet Angelica,She falls in love at first sight with the main male character and spends a grand total of 2 times with him.And is a blatant rip-off of disney´s Cinderella. Oh,and she is a static character as hell.

hqdefault.jpg

If you say Angelica is a better character,something is seriously wrong with you.

Did Misty had better interactions with everyone and more interesting pokemon for you?ok,go ahead.But don't say the writing has improved.Say that it is worse.This contradiction is what bugs me.Good stories have good characters.Bad stories has Bad characters.

Last edited:
Because she didn't battle often....at all really. She helped fight TR and was in the whirl cup, and that was kinda it really. She didn't have a rival to go up against, or easily definable goal for which she could be in battles often.

Well considering we saw Misty during the Kanto/Johto times where the battles aren't as top notch as AG/DP, we really don't know too much of what she's capable of as a battler. We saw some moments, sure, but there wasn't a lot to base her strength as a battler. But to be honest, the battles in Kanto/Johto aren't the battles in AG/DP so we've obviously seen some better battles in the latter sagas.

I personally think at this point in the series with the AG/DP sagas in mind, she's probably way stronger than in the past and she seems to have improved as a gym leader and as a trainer as a whole. I'm pretty sure if the writers came up with a situation to show Misty battling in like a Whilr Cup part 2 or whatever in these new times, we'd see some awesomeness with Misty's battles.

It's part of the writing pretty much. As we go through more gens, for the most part, the writing improves. Battles get better. Episodes and plot get better. Character development, etc. It's only natural if people don't find Misty too great of a battler because of the battles in the past (which were not a lot btw). It's all in the writing.

@Sombra29.

I gave an example, and I'm right. Just because the writing has improved and the characters are handled better doesn't mean that certain aspects aren't better in the beginning, or that the characters themselves are better or worse, just the way they're handled.

Sorry if you took my example to literally, it was loosely based but relevant to the point I was making...

Enough said about that........

Count number of trainer battles both Misty and May had while being on show(not counting contests)and difference is quite obvious.
Regarding Dawn since she received alot more screentime than any other girl before she had more trainer battles,but when we include battles Misty has at gym things turn out to be different.

Wow...you are counts battles we don't see on the show? You are crazy...

And considering she used Ash and Brocks pokemon which are grass,fire,and electric type shows how she is able to utilize properly other types aside from water one.Not to mention not everyone is able to use other pokemon properly.

This shows how she is unable to train pokemon properly...

And yet this competition was portayed as fairly hard to win,with Misty defeating guys Poliwrath with preevolved form Poliwhirl(not an easy task to do).

Yeah like Ash, May, Dawn and even Brock...

Look below,you will find good chunk of battles where Misty battled outside of water.

Okay...

-battled with Corsola to catch Poliwhirl
-battled with Starmie trying to catch Odish
-used Starmie again to try to catch Bulbasaur before it became Ashs
-battled Tentacools in Porta Vista
-battled against wild Snorlax before Ash managed to catch it

Aren't we talking about "trainer battles"? Why do you brings up "battling with wild pokemons"?

-battled TR in second episode
-battled Meowth with Staryu in Mt.Moon episode
-against TR in Cerulean before she left starmie and horsea
-used Staryu to defeat TR pokemon in "The Fortune Hunters"
-beated TR with fire trainer help using Poliwhirl
-used Staryu to beat James Victreebel in Corsola capture episode

Isn't you say "TR blasting offs to which he contributed doesnt count under category of real battles"? Why do you brings them up?

Here they are(there is more,but since you asked for specific number).

-Misty battled against Ash at Cerulean
-against that kid with Wipinbell the pokemon trainer's school
-battled against Giselle at the pokemon trainer's school
-battled vs Ash for Togepi in unoficiall tournament
-used Goldeen and Staryu against pirates Tentacrools in Lapras goodbye episode
-battled Jessie in the Princess competition for the rare doll set
-against the girl of the bridge bike gang
-against the trainer with a farfetch'd that stole her pokemon
-against Adrian in the Seaking catching competition
-against Sumomo, of the Kimono Girls
-against the trainer with remoraid
-against Harrison with the Qwilfish
-against Ash
-against Trinity
-against Sakura before she went off on her journey
-battled against that guy at the Coastline Gym
-battled Ash for Totodile
-battled Sakura again(when her Eevee evolved in Espeon)
-battled Spencer Hale's daughter in Movie 3
-battled those three guy in her final episode in the main series
-beated TR with fire trainer help using Poliwhirl

So, only 22? Where is that 50 battles you are talking about?

You like to say everything you know,
That shouldn't take too long.
You like to say everything you think,
That shouldn't take too long.
I'm beginning to lose my concentration,
This is a very boring conversation.

You talk too much,
You talk too much,
You never shut up,
You talk too much.

You criticise everything you see,
That doesn't make you strong.
You like to make a fool out of me,
That shouldn't take you too long.
Your vocal chords are inclined to mass vibration,
Inducing premature extrapolation.

And why don't you just shut your mouth,
Oh give it a rest now.

SHUTUP ! - NOW
You're really annoying
Your mind destroying, going on and on and on.
The world will rejoice when,
You're losing your voice,
And that shouldn't take too long.

>.>

Misty's Bulbapedia list of achievements might give some insight into this.

* Champion of the Queen of the Princess Day Festival contest in Princess vs. Princess.
* Champion of the Alto Mare Canal Race in Pokémon Heroes.
* Champion of the Seaking Catching Day competition in Hook, Line, and Stinker.
* Ranked top 8 in the Whirl Cup.
* Runner up and default winner in the privately organized Mini-Tournament for Togepi.
* Possible winner/runner up of the Swimsuit Beauty pagent in Beauty and The Beach.

Really not very impressive.

Just for the record, there is no Misty bashing and there never has been. What there is, is user bashing. You guys attack each other because of Misty.

And it really, really needs to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom