• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is Misty underrated as a battler?

Why are Misty's Battle Skills so Underrated?

• Ash was spoiled with main character luxury

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • They didn't appeal to fans

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • They really shouldn't be, cause she is better than Ash

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • IDK

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, Misty wasn't very good. When you compare her to a kid like Ash, especially in the first season, he took alot of the attention for her and Brock. the 2nd thing is, she is NEVER seen or mentioned anymore. I think she was a major part in the show in terms of character and drama, but other wise, she didnt fly like the rest of the pack.

BLAH.

Ash Ketchum is like God in the series. the only thing he's missing in a Busty Woman who he can abuse, a man that he always commands to smiles, and Kyon.

With that said, Misty in the anime is an okay battler, but I don't put her on the same pedistal, simply because she lacks the drive and she sometimes lost too easily and was curb stomped. Not to mention she lacked her own comptetive drive, if she was on the same par of Ketchu, she would have gone after the gyms too.

I would not object to see her become part of the main cast again. It really annoys me when characters with significant impact on the series are just shafted for new people (coughHELLOTRACEYIHAVENOTSEENYOUINFOURYEARScough). (Especially Dawn, I just cannot stand that woman! She's just like Ash Ketchum with a sex change to be honest. Not to mention she kinda killed Shipping in someways |: But yeah, to me she just came off as Ketchum Girl.0 and her rivals were like OC's with AG coating. They tried to merge like Ash Ketchum as a co-ordinator with freaking AG overtones and it went horribly, methinks.)

Back on topic, I don't think she's underrated, the focus isn't on how well the female can battle anyways. It's focused on how many pretty ribbons can she attack to her outfit anyways. With that, any female that's battling is stuffed into a refrigerator.

In other words: Only misty fans will consider her underrated because no one else will care about her or her battling tendecies (sorry people! I told you I didn't sugar coat things. I am just telling the truth).

With that said: the latest exclusion of contests in GSDS have me thinking the new protagonist may not be even on the show, and Misty may return but I highly doubt this will happen anyways. White is just too old for the general cast, and what will she do if she's shown back on the show? There will most likely not be those dreadful contests (especially super contests, those things SUCKED more than Adam Lambert and his back up dancers) so what WOULD be her role? Maybe nothing, may everything. //speculation, if I find this post on a board under official wording I will freaking make F5 tornadoes

edit: this whole thread is a flame war waiting to be exploded - with gasoline.

Last edited:
This thread would have had a decent chance if the question was along the lines of: What are your feelings about Misty as a battler?

The title already implies that she is underated and so people that feel differently are of course going to say so. It amazes me that certain users are shocked and hurt by this. It is a forum where people speak their mind after all. They shouldn't be expected to ignore the thread just so that you can see posts that you like. There are other things for that like social groups in which you can actually control who gets to join and view it. It isn't rocket science. I also lol'd at "administative bias" when quite a few of the mods here do like Misty which is apparant enough from their usernames.

Funny, I often see May and Dawn (Dawn especially lately) get bashed whereas I almost see nothing but Misty-fans praising her and continuously create threads to talk about her here instead of keeping it to the correct thread in the clubs section.

Besides, don't you think Misty only gets bashed because her fans just won't stop bringing her up in almost every damn thread, even when the discussion originally had absolutely nothing to do with her?
In other words, the fans' so-called "defense" of Misty only makes the bashing of her worse. Instead of feeling so obliged of defending her, why not just keep your discussion of her in her club. I'm positive the majority of the bashing of Misty's character will cease the moment the fans will stop their little mission of bringing her up and praising her all the time.

Heck, look at it from other fans' POV:
I'm a fan of Ash and Dawn and I frequently see them bashed too. However, I choose to not care about what other people think - if they don't like them for whatever reasons (no matter how right or wrong they may be) then hey, whatever makes them hatefully happy. What should I care.
Why can't Misty fans do the same?

----

As for the topic at hand, I wouldn't say Misty is underrated at all. She could battle, yes, but she wasn't super or amazing nor was she awful and not able to stand up for herself. I've never gotten the impression that her battling competence is misjudged in the animé.

agreed

BLAH.

Ash Ketchum is like God in the series. the only thing he's missing in a Busty Woman who he can abuse, a man that he always commands to smiles, and Kyon.

With that said, Misty in the anime is an okay battler, but I don't put her on the same pedistal, simply because she lacks the drive and she sometimes lost too easily and was curb stomped. Not to mention she lacked her own comptetive drive, if she was on the same par of Ketchu, she would have gone after the gyms too.

I would not object to see her become part of the main cast again. It really annoys me when characters with significant impact on the series are just shafted for new people (coughHELLOTRACEYIHAVENOTSEENYOUINFOURYEARScough). (Especially Dawn, I just cannot stand that woman! She's just like Ash Ketchum with a sex change to be honest. Not to mention she kinda killed Shipping in someways |: But yeah, to me she just came off as Ketchum Girl.0 and her rivals were like OC's with AG coating. They tried to merge like Ash Ketchum as a co-ordinator with freaking AG overtones and it went horribly, methinks.)

Back on topic, I don't think she's underrated, the focus isn't on how well the female can battle anyways. It's focused on how many pretty ribbons can she attack to her outfit anyways. With that, any female that's battling is stuffed into a refrigerator.

In other words: Only misty fans will consider her underrated because no one else will care about her or her battling tendecies (sorry people! I told you I didn't sugar coat things. I am just telling the truth).

With that said: the latest exclusion of contests in GSDS have me thinking the new protagonist may not be even on the show, and Misty may return but I highly doubt this will happen anyways. White is just too old for the general cast, and what will she do if she's shown back on the show? There will most likely not be those dreadful contests (especially super contests, those things SUCKED more than Adam Lambert and his back up dancers) so what WOULD be her role? Maybe nothing, may everything. //speculation, if I find this post on a board under official wording I will freaking make F5 tornadoes

edit: this whole thread is a flame war waiting to be exploded - with gasoline.

I agree dude should we commence countdown until kaboom?

The bottom line is that Misty isn't respected by much of the fanbase as a battler because she rarely ever battled, and when she did she wasn't very good at it. She didn't have the sheer dumb luck or the innovation or the strategy we saw in really GOOD battlers.

And Misty raised his crushed spirit after lose at Indigo league,she gave him encouraging moral boost when he was losing against gym leader Rudy indirectly helping that Sqiuirtle learn new move,she gaved him tips about type advantages pointing out how bugs are weak vs flying types in second episode,recommended to use water types against Blaine,pointed out how Phanphy sholnt be used against Pryce since ground types are weak to ice types etc.
Your point?
How can you "indirectly" help a pokemon learn a new move unless they get an idea from you? Oh and the one to cheer Ash up after his loss? It was Ritchie. Ash just blew up at Misty. Brock on the otherhand, actually gave Ash some strong strategies to use - his battle against Lt.Surge, his battle against Macey, him helping Ash train with Sudowoodo, him reminding Ash when to attack Treecko, he also cheered Ash up in Classroom Training, knows when to leave Ash alone and there have been countless of other times where Brock has aided Ash by giving him simple type vs type advice. But whatever, this isn't a Brock vs Misty thread - people are trying to claim that Misty was v.important and act like she was Ash's only coach - my point was that Brock ALSO coached Ash and helped cheer him up.

But back to the main topic - Misty isn't "underrated" at all. No one saying's she's weak but we cannot say she's better than Ash when two of her major battles involved a DEM win and when she has not shown the sheer ingenuity of Ash or the raw power of Paul or Cynthia.

Let's see some of her battles, and we can be the judge of that, huh? One person on YT has kindly uploaded most of Misty's battles. My own comments will be parenthesized.

Ash vs. Misty 1 (hm...What I don't get is why his newly caught PIDGIOTTO won against that starmie (which is freaking hard in the games, BTW) while his butterfree got beaten by a staryu...and it's totally not fair pikachu isn't battling Dx )

Ash vs. Misty 2 (battle for togepi) (Okay, Ash...wtf...lick it on the head? this battle's pretty moot...ignore)

Ash vs. Misty 3 (battle for totodile) (If Misty only uses water pokemon, ofcourse it's an advantage to Ash as to what pokemon to use. Exact quote: "My staryu's at a much higher level than chikarita!"...yet, she still lost?)

Ash vs. Misty 3 (whirl cup) (dude, I am amazed by that crabhammer...did you see that? Why did he attack psyduck on the head, fool? Crabhammer that chump, and the match's yours!)

Misty vs. Delaney (wow, 1HKO by a gyarados...and using mirror coat on a volt-absorb chinchou? though technically, in the game, it wouldn't be an electric attack that counters. Good effort, but no dice.)

So, I feel that on a whole, Misty was a pretty average battler, who used basic strategies that tended to work because of higher leveling/training. I think that her full potential could be reached had she expanded in her type choices, but, you know. And psyduck deux-ex-machina is a bit lame, I would like to see her control that beast and win with it intentionally. What can ya do? Feel free to call me out if I seem biased, and you can post more misty battles too, I suppose. I just thought that visual records might back up my claims better.

Oh, and I don't really like the argument: "Misty's a gym leader, so she is automatically stronger/more experienced than most people." Um, you have to BEAT leaders to get into the league, so they aren't like GODS. And anyways, the cerulean city gym has been almost shut down for...not complying to regulations *facepalm*

If she battled like her counterpart in the games, OUCH. Watch out, she'd be pretty hard shit XD

you know, i was on youtube earlier and i was watching misty battling. i watched her battle ash, marina, some guy in the whirl cup competition... harrison i think. she did lose a lot, and the way she battled was pretty crappy. but you know, back in kanto/johto, battles were really different. they were short, simple, and not complex at all. when you compare them to hoenn and sinnoh's battles (especially sinnoh's), you can see that the battling style changed drastically.

so i'm pretty sure misty wouldn't be as cheap and "weak" as before.

I don't disagree with that actually. I think that if you look at Misty's battles when she was on the show, then no you can't really make the argument that she is a great battler, but if she were to reappear today, with the way the writers are scripting battles nowadays and developping pokémon, Misty would probably come off in a better light when it comes to her battling skills.

That being said, her record in the original series leaves nothing to interpretation and wasn't good.

I love your name, dawn, LICK it. it makes me hot. HOTTER THAN I ALREADY AM OF COURSE~ though it doesn't seem possible to get any more hotter

BUT mfdkjfdjdff.
Chatsy said it the best.

The problem is aside from Gyarados, they haven't given her any stronger pokemon after leaving.

She gets a baby Azurill which was essentially Togepi's replacement. Then she gets a Luvdisc, which in the games is one of the weakest water pokemon ever.

I also don't count that Dewgong or Seaking as hers, those belong to her sisters or the Gym in general. Dewgong especially as a Seal was never hers in Kanto.

I haven't seen any episodes that had Misty in them in a LONG time, so I couldn't really tell ya. Like what has been brought up earlier, the battling styles between then and now have changed drastically also. To be honest here, I don't think I could reach a final decision about how good or bad her battling is unless they decided to have another Ash vs Misty battle before he goes off to Issu or somethin' like that.:-/

On another note where Is this "constantly" coming from? During Misty's day she almost never battled,

She battled alot more than Brock did,and she had more trainer battles under her belt than May or Dawn did.Im not speaking about contests but trainer battles.

and I don't think battling new rookie trainers battling with a single type Is much practice compared to Brock who Is still traveling.

Out of more than 200 trainers every year trying to qualify for Indigo league not all of them falls under category of rookies.There are also trainers who travell between regions like Ash does,and those who dont start off with Pewter or Cerulean while starting their journey through Kanto.

Out of curiosity besides the Whirl Cup what "impressive achievements" were you referring to?

If your reffering to achievements as trainer,she won Princess festival in Kanto,won Seaking catching contest which had high concuretion with that guy with Poliwrath being winner for several years,she fared better against underwater gym leader than Ash did,managed to control wild Golduck against Marins like it was hers,etc.

Agreed. Old trainer Is old.

By that logic we could say the same thing about any older character who is off the cast inclkuding May,Tracey,Max and anyone else.You cant expect that people forgett about them.

If yuou need a specific field to beat someone, don't mean you are better... Means exactly the opposite.

She showed to be good battler outside water field too,as i mentioned already.

She is underrated because she didn't battle fairly. %60 of her wins is DEM...

What are you talking about?She had more than 50 battles while on show and only two were won by DEM being caused by Psyducks headache.

TR blasting offs to which he contributed doesnt count under category of real battles.

Just because people don't think Misty is a great battler,doesn't mean they are bad mouthing her.

People try to constantly degrade Mistys accomplishments,not sticking with facts at all.

When was the last time someone labelled May or Dawn as "weak trainers who never did anything for this show"?
Better yet when was the last time people tryed to censor opinions from other girl fans attacking them for expresing desire to see them return?

Sure she had some wins in real battles that she truly earned from battling and training her pokémon... like the Seaking Catching contest... and... that guy Georgia in Chronicles... and... that fire trainer... yeah that's pretty much it...

And what about her win over Harrison and Ash in Whirl Cup,over Dorian,over Joe and TR(not blasting offs but real battles) in Kanto,win over Marina,over invincible brothers,etc,etc,etc?

How can you "indirectly" help a pokemon learn a new move unless they get an idea from you? Oh and the one to cheer Ash up after his loss? It was Ritchie. Ash just blew up at Misty.

It seems you didnt understand.If it wasnt for Mistys encouraging talk,Ash would have lost that battle against Rudy.Thanks to her he was pushed starting to act,indirectly causing thanks to Ashs reactions that Squirtle turn things into his favor.

Ritchie came aterwards into whole picture,but after lost at Indigo league the first person who came to Ash when he was lying starting to selfpity himself was Misty who tryed to get him out of bed and depression,which in end worked.

My point was that Misty was just as important for Ashs growth as trainer as Brock was.

That being said, her record in the original series leaves nothing to interpretation and wasn't good.

So to you she didnt had any achievemnts in battling terms at all during her run,despite competing in several competitions and having some great battles?

Maybe in your opinion,but fact is she had her share of notable accomplishments just like everyone else.

She gets a baby Azurill which was essentially Togepi's replacement. Then she gets a Luvdisc, which in the games is one of the weakest water pokemon ever.

Unlike Togepi,Azurill was showned to be able to battle,aswell helping others instead of just being around.

Talking about Luvdisc,things are little different in anime compared to games.Judging by Juans Luvdisc and teamwork of Misty and Daisy with their in one of hosos,Luvdisc were showned not being so weak at all.

I say Mistys strongest pokemon are Gyarados,Staryu(he is pretty good and one of her main battlers),Corsola,and Politoed.
Psyduck is strong with his hidden power,but unrealible so he doesnt count.

I suppose main reason why some people are trying to put across May and Dawn as "better trainers" putting them on piedestal is probably because of contests,not understanding how they are different category of pokemon bsttles.
Its true both of this girls are very good as coordinators,but when you exclude them out their accomplishments in trainer battles is not as big,and honestly in that field Misty was showned to have more experience knowing how to utlize pokemon properly in that surrounding,aswell having more battles under her belt both by travelling and being gym leader.

Trying to degrade someone whose profession is being trainer,as weaker than thioe whose main objective are contests and not "real battles" would be nothjing short of being ridiculous if people want my honest opinion.

Last edited:
I think the whole 'contests vs real battles' has always been a bit of a stupid argument anyway. At it's core, the pokemon are still trained to fight, use strong attacks to deal damage to the opposing side and dodge their opponents moves, and the trainers still have to think on their feet and use their head. Even if there are judges and a time limit, neither side holds back. The differences are so thinly defined it may as well be a 'real battle', and I don't see why May and Dawn wouldn't be just as good as Misty, and vice versa in contests. It's pretty much the same shit. As if a raging Mamoswine covered in pointy Ice Spikes and surrounded with hidden power isn't going to give 'RAWR! I'M A GYARADOS' a run for it's money in a battle :/

As for the thread title, I don't think she's underated at all. I think she's rated quite accurately in general, given what we've seen of her and what pokemon she has. I don't get why it matters anyway, since her character was more about her character more than anything else. Her battling prowess is almost as irrelevent as that 'Sabrina's 4th gen clothes' thread if you ask me :/

She battled alot more than Brock did,and she had more trainer battles under her belt than May or Dawn did.Im not speaking about contests but trainer battles.

It is like say "Brock battled alot more than Nurse Joy did". That doesn't make her better than May or Dawn. And no, I don't think she had more "trainer battles" than May and Dawn...

If your reffering to achievements as trainer,she won Princess festival in Kanto,won Seaking catching contest which had high concuretion with that guy with Poliwrath being winner for several years,she fared better against underwater gym leader than Ash did,managed to control wild Golduck against Marins like it was hers,etc.

Princess Festival: She won it with ASH AND BROCK'S POKEMON and Psyduck's DEM...
Seaking Cathing Contest: This contest is mainly based on fishing skills and luck! Only thing she did is beating a guy on pokemon battle. Yeah, big accomplishment...
Golduck: She doesn't really control him. He was just a casanova pokemon who want to impress girls...

She showed to be good battler outside water field too,as i mentioned already.

Where?

What are you talking about?She had more than 50 battles while on show and only two were won by DEM being caused by Psyducks headache.

When? Where? Just show me 30 battles she involved in...

People try to constantly degrade Mistys accomplishments,not sticking with facts at all.

Like other characters...What makes you so special?

When was the last time someone labelled May or Dawn as "weak trainers who never did anything for this show"?

Always? Misty fans and May/Dawn haters always label them as weak because they are coordinators. And there is "other things" people hate about them...

^ ?
a little mad are we?

Not at all.

And no, I don't think she had more "trainer battles" than May and Dawn...

Count number of trainer battles both Misty and May had while being on show(not counting contests)and difference is quite obvious.
Regarding Dawn since she received alot more screentime than any other girl before she had more trainer battles,but when we include battles Misty has at gym things turn out to be different.

Princess Festival: She won it with ASH AND BROCK'S POKEMON and Psyduck's DEM...

And considering she used Ash and Brocks pokemon which are grass,fire,and electric type shows how she is able to utilize properly other types aside from water one.Not to mention not everyone is able to use other pokemon properly.

Seaking Cathing Contest: This contest is mainly based on fishing skills and luck! Only thing she did is beating a guy on pokemon battle. Yeah, big accomplishment...

And yet this competition was portayed as fairly hard to win,with Misty defeating guys Poliwrath with preevolved form Poliwhirl(not an easy task to do).

Golduck: She doesn't really control him. He was just a casanova pokemon who want to impress girls...

As far as i know he was listening to Mistys orders on what attacks and tehnicques to use in match against Marina.

Look below,you will find good chunk of battles where Misty battled outside of water.

When? Where? Just show me 30 battles she involved in...

Here they are(there is more,but since you asked for specific number).

-Misty battled against Ash at Cerulean
-against that kid with Wipinbell the pokemon trainer's school
-battled against Giselle at the pokemon trainer's school
-battled TR in second episode
-battled Meowth with Staryu in Mt.Moon episode
-battled with Corsola to catch Poliwhirl
-battled vs Ash for Togepi in unoficiall tournament
-battled with Starmie trying to catch Odish
-used Starmie again to try to catch Bulbasaur before it became Ashs
-battled against wild Snorlax before Ash managed to catch it
-battled Tentacools in Porta Vista
-used Goldeen and Staryu against pirates Tentacrools in Lapras goodbye episode
-used Staryu to defeat TR pokemon in "The Fortune Hunters"
-used Staryu to beat James Victreebel in Corsola capture episode
-beated TR with fire trainer help using Poliwhirl
-battled Jessie in the Princess competition for the rare doll set
-against the girl of the bridge bike gang
-against the trainer with a farfetch'd that stole her pokemon
-against TR in Cerulean before she left starmie and horsea
-against Adrian in the Seaking catching competition
-against Sumomo, of the Kimono Girls
-against the trainer with remoraid
-against Harrison with the Qwilfish
-against Ash
-against Trinity
-against Sakura before she went off on her journey
-battled against that guy at the Coastline Gym
-battled Ash for Totodile
-battled Sakura again(when her Eevee evolved in Espeon)
-battled Spencer Hale's daughter in Movie 3
-battled those three guy in her final episode in the main series

Like other characters...What makes you so special?

Yet,concentration of attempts trying to belittle Misty and things going for her is surprisingly alot higher,compared to amount of degrading May or Dawn receives in this forum.

Last edited:
^ Thanks for being very detailed and respectful buddy! :)

Misty was great, but I respect those who think differently, as long as there isn't any character bashing. We are bound to see Misty again soon, with the Sinnoh League and all, hopefully she can cheer for Ash in person.

I wouldn't mind another Whirl Cup either, as a matter of fact, I would love one, with Misty being victorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom