• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is the Johto arc so hated within this fandom?

Somari

Reaction score
Everyone seems to love everything about gen 2 besides the anime, which is loathed. It seems like only people who used to be fans like it.

What's so bad about it?

It has the same feel as the current episodes.
I can't spot any troubles with it, besides the numerous amounts of CoTD compared to the other seasons.
The music was nice.
It had some nice battles, like....Um..Ash vs Gary.
It had little to nothing to do with the games villainous plot but that didn't slow it down.
The Pokemon, be them minor or major, were entertaining.
Ash's Pokemon were a bit clumsy and slow compared to the others but they were still good.

I guess it's more of a Kanto + then anything in terms of style, but it still stood its ground.

Last edited:
Mostly because of the all those filler episodes. Not all of them are bad. Not at all. Some of them are great. But when you're expecting some progress with the story and instead you get to see Ash and co. help a Pokemon and a CotD get over their little problems, it can get quite repititive and boring.

Mostly because of all the filler, but the only one you really hear complain now is Scott.

But Sinnoh has like a million fillers! And who the heck is this Scott I keep hearing about?!

And I like all the arcs. But Kanto and Johto are the best for me.

I found the first and last parts of Johto to be good - it's the middle that was terrible. Unlike DP and Advanced, the majority of the fillers in Johto were godawful. Ash and co rarely do anything of interest, it's usually Team Rocket causing all the problems etc

DP is padded with a lot of training episodes,

But Sinnoh has like a million fillers! And who the heck is this Scott I keep hearing about?!

And I like all the arcs. But Kanto and Johto are the best for me.

Scott85, now known as Gliscor'd
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/member.php?u=1947

Sinnoh has fillers too like all the other seasons but it along with AG also had contests which had a huge role in character development of May and Dawn. So the fillers were less.

What counts as a filler is an episode where there is no advancement of the plot, no Gym Battle or Contest, no new capture or evolution and no major character development. AG and DP have a lot less of these compared to Johto.

I don't think it is that hated. But mostly it is the large amount of 'help CotD' fillers that puts people off.
It is probably my least favourite saga, as it doesn't have the well-thought out plots/development and second quest of DP and AG, nor does it have the nostalgia factor that Kanto has (for me). But, thats just me, and I still liked it.

As people have said it is just the filler. If there was less of it then people would probably appreciate it more. After all Johto did give us decent gym battles and gave most of the Pokémon on Ash's team some personality. Those were the flaws of Kanto.

Calling it hated might be a bit too much since only a few people hate it. Many might dislike it, while many love it. It's my least favourite saga. I didn't dislike it when I first saw it but it pales in comparison to AG and DP.

I don't really know what's the big deal with the fillers. I mean, in Hoenn, there are many awful episodes that aren't fillers, yet, people don't seem to complain about it. In Johto, it's true we have many fillers. However, most of them are good and entertaining, having character development and letting us see other aspects of the Pokémon World.

Guess cuz of the fillers.
I like it, had a lot of funny moments in it.
Like you said good action happened in it too.
That Ash V.S Gary battle was epic man.
But yah, the only reason you think so many people hate though LOL Is cuz Scott or Cybs on Serebii forums too and complaines too much about itXD

I think it's a great ark, it had great Pokemon and a lot of funny episodes. Not to mention it was the saga Misty and Brock received the most focus.
Yeah it had fillers but it was the longest ark yet, of course it's gonna have more fillers than the average saga, that's just simple logic.

Also I think people tend to forget that a lot of other sagas have A LOT of filler too, AG was almost as bad.

Jhoto Is cool, leave it alone!

Yup, like everybody else it was the fillers.

Sometimes, the scenes were overdone for suspense - so in the Johto League tournament it was literally several episodes per battle. There were also lots of almost meaningless episodes filled with recurring random characters like the Snubbull with the ribbons, they tried hard to create fanservice, sometimes boring us out. :nono:

Fillers themselves aren't so bad, but when they have a boring premise and a the plot is handled badly. It could get ugly very fast.

The reason why there were so many fillers was that begining with the GSC era, the anime had to last as long as the current games. This ment that a storyline that could snuggly fit into 52 episodes now had to be streched out into 200-300 episodes (I'm sorry I don't remember how many episodes the Jotho arc was). This of-course ment fillers.

One example of a badly handled filler could be the episode "Whichever Way the Wind Blows", Which was about Vileplume and Bellossom fighting over territory. The premise could have been far more interesting:

1.The idea that a dispute could not be resolved easily by both sides suddenly becoming friends and continue fighiting even when Ash and friends leave. One side ultimately winning and the other side losing out.

2.The idea of Pokémon with branching evolutions that took the alternate "path" of what they wanted to evolve into and now forced to be on a side they didn't want to be a part of.

These conflicts would have been very interesting, but due to the light nature of this children's cartoon and the fact that the story needed to be finished in half-an-hour, these interesting stories were "neatly resolved" and the plot was wrapped up in a haphazard manner: Both sides became friends and Misty giving a terrible aseop about how these Pokémon evolved into there alternate evolutions because they were ment to.

Like pretty much everyone said, it was because of the umpteen fillers. And of all of them, only a few were likable and actually made sense.

Personally, I think Johto was okay, but I love AG and DP much, much more. At least they had amazinf fillers. :p

It's my favourite part of the entire metaseries, besides the DP series.

The Larvitar arc of episodes was precious and unique (especially when we saw Larvitar's mind... trippy), the Red Gyarados and Baby Lugia sagas were all fun and, in a way, sweet!

I disliked most pokémon, I didn't like most pokémon Ash got, and the fillers were bad (I don't mind fillers, but they have to be enjoyable).

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom