• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is the Johto arc so hated within this fandom?

Fillers, Misty's character went bland (I think) and hmm..It got repetitive, I suppose

Well back then, we really didn't care, its just now that it's begin compared to Kanto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, we only realise how many fillers it contained.

You bring up interesting point,as the show goes on people who watched this show from start compare older with new more and more trying to find up holes about which they could complsin,.Back than,people didnt complained much about some things,they just enjoyed in show for what it was but when they noticed how writing has improved handling some of things better their dissapintment started coming out on surface objecting over past mistakes writers may have did.

However does that mean,new is improved over older in everything.Not in my eyes,for once i feel older seriers had some sort of identity haing better character interactions and better defined some of things.

Fillers, Misty's character went bland (I think) and hmm..It got repetitive, I suppose

Maybe in your opinion,but many people didnt finded anything wrong with Mistys character in Johto.She was still funny,and had good chemistry with main group.If they were unsatisfied with her they wouldnt demand her return to cast.
Majority of complaints i noticed which were directed toward Misty and Brock in Johto were because of their lack of screntime not being focused on enough.

What I didn't particularly like also was the fact that it seemed to contribute so little to the shows overall story in the long run.

Yeah, you get to see Ash beat the Johto Gym leaders and he captures some new pokemon, but there's nothing special about those particular Gym leaders or Pokemon over any of the other sagas versions.

I feel like the only major event of Johto was Ash finally beating Gary in the league. The closure of the Gary rivalry felt like biggest part storywise of Johto, aside from Misty eventually leaving afterward.

Probably cuz it was stretched out with only Ash having an active quest. Also I guess it's because they kept the same Pokemon as Kanto/Orange Isl bringing nothing new. <Which many ended up complaining about when they changed such for Hoenn. Can't please everyone eh?

I loved the Johto Arc :> I didn't know it was hated...

:D Kanto being considered the Golden Age... LOL

Kanto is considered the Golden Era for being new, nostalgic, less episodes than later seasons like Johto, having the original trio, and being the time when people were completely crazy about pokémon, when it was a fad.

Also I guess it's because they kept the same Pokemon as Kanto/Orange Isl bringing nothing new.

That was actually the one thing I was fine with. Ash kept his Kanto Pokemon but he could have rotated them with the Johto Pokemon.

As for Misty/Brock not leaving behind their Kanto Pokes, it didn't really matter there. They hardly used their Pokemon anyway. How often did we see Brock's Geodude in Johto, or Misty's Staryu and Goldeen?

I missed like the whole johto series when it was first airing (I was more of a DBZ/Rugrats kid then). Wasn't till 2008 when I saw the whole Johto Journey. And ya know I liked it. Seemed to me that Ash and Misty and Brock matured alittle, but they were still fun to watch. The jokes were starting to get more dialouge based rather than physical, but they were good, specially Team Rocket's scenes and stuff.

Music was really good to, liked the Johto Journeys theme and the "Pokemon Karokemon" segments. Music in the show was great too, lots of great tracks.

Also included my favorite of the Pokemon movies, Pokemon 3: Spell of the Unown.

Yeah, while the filler really kills Johto, I actually saw a lot of character development in Ash and Misty. Somewhat in Brock, but even now he is the flattest character in the series.

The funny moments in Johto were actually quite funny. Team Rocket was funnier, and the dialogue was great.

(When walking through a desert)

Jessie: "I'd give my left arm for a drink of water."
James: "I'd give your left arm for a drink of water too, Jessie."

10/10, James. 10/10.

Or the episode where Ash gets Cyndaquil and practically CHUCKS it at a hillside? It wasn't intended to be funny, but the way it was animated was hilarious. It looked like he was trying to score a field goal with that poor pokemon.

It was the Hoenn saga where the dialogue got stale and the jokes got bad.

\
It was the Hoenn saga where the dialogue got stale and the jokes got bad.

The Hoenn saga was far funnier in terms of humor and general character interaction.

In fact, I'd wager to say Hoenn was the second funniest arc after Kanto/Orange.

The characters actually had personality again, the group dynamics were fresh and had a balance, and the Pokemon on the show at the time had some of the best personalities. Not to mention there is actual character development for the cast.

The Hoenn saga was far funnier in terms of humor and general character interaction.

Well people have different opinions i guiess.I liked Johto saga aswell finding it having lot of great and fun moments.

The characters actually had personality again, the group dynamics were fresh and had a balance, and the Pokemon on the show at the time had some of the best personalities. Not to mention there is actual character development for the cast.

Characters had personalities in Johto aswell,and in my opinion dynamics and interaction between original group seemed more deep and enjoyable to watch.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom