• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is the Johto arc so hated within this fandom?

Indeed. Larvitar, Baby Lugia, Crystal Bells, and Red Gyarados all made excellent plots. I think it's just because it was so slow (158 episodes).

Mind you, Sinnoh's even longer (sixty-something-odd episode break between badges). However the first fillers were seven episodes apart. Things happened much faster at first, and more things happened throuought than in Johto (Dawn's plot, and that Galactic was more involved in the show than Team Rocket (other than those three) ever was)

At least that's my thoughts on it.

I wouldnt say hated.More appropriate term would be dissapointed(not counting few extremists of course).

Main reasons why some people were not satisfied with Johto were:
-GS ball being dropped
-Ash hardly having any real rivals,aswell his Johto team not living to their expectations due to lack of evolutions and not getting enough development
-Brock and Misty not receiving more screentime
-big amount of fillers(which isnt a bad thing in itself since fillers can be great episodes,but it seems for some people only plot related episodes are those which counts).

However Johto had many good things aswell.Contrary to popular belief Brock and Misty got more screntime or battling they they had in Kanto(unfortunately one of them got replaced with plots about her being left unfinished),gym battles were great for most part,there were some great arcs like Red Gyarados,baby Lugia,Whirl Cup etc accompanied with some amasing gems of episodes which may have been fillers but good nontheless.There is also pokemon league at end of Johto which was one of highlights of this region definitely.

In reality,people raised up their expectations for this region,higher than they should have not being aware how writers still didnt had knowleadge or experience to handle some things right at that time,which they improved over the years.

Man, who cares at this point.

Did you really feel the need to make a whole thread about it? Who cares who hates what. Are you going to valiantly defend anything that gets moderate distaste from fans? Because if you are, you'll be in a losing battle forever.

Enjoy what you want to enjoy. Forget about trying to convince people not to dislike something or even giving a care to what they think. It's stupid to feel offended.

This isn't even just about Johto, it's about ANYTHING. There's no need to harp on one particular moment in time over and over again. Move on already!

It was an improvement over what came before since Ash's pokemon now had personalities, Team Rocket (not the TRio) getting arcs and Ash mostly earned his badges the right way. The fillers in the middle are what killed the region for a lot of people.

I don't like the Johto arc as much is because Ash goes there with the same Pokémon from the Kanto/Orange Islands, without any new strategies to build upon.

Opinionated comment-time!
It has the same feel as the current episodes.
Um, no?
The music was nice.
Dear spacegoat NO.
It had some nice battles, like....Um..Ash vs Gary.
Horrible battle, that was.
It had little to nothing to do with the games villainous plot but that didn't slow it down.
Of course it didn't slow it down. That was the doing of all the other bad decisions.
The Pokemon, be them minor or major, were entertaining.
No.
Ash's Pokemon were a bit clumsy and slow compared to the others but they were still good.
Nope.

Anything pre-HG/SS Johto is horrible, in my opinion. I've seen all the episodes, but I didn't like... well, ANY of them...

I loved the Johto arc... second only to the original in my book.

It was the fillers. It might've also been made worse because the Johto arc was supposed to be a recap for the Ash/Gary rivalry. To see it go that slow was excruciating to a lot of people.

The only thing wrong with the Johto arc is the over abundance of filler. Other than that it was fine. Each of Ash's starters had a distinct personality, some of the best episodes of the series were in the Johto arc IMO. We even got to see Lapras again. There were some faults to it but it wasn't horrible at all.

Poorer quality, too many fillers, ridiculous plots, took forever, lack of previous sagas' feel, Misty's departure, bad writing, no Rocket takeover or other actually interesting plots, destruction of personality, etc.

Why is it so hated?

I'd say, a combination of too much filler, and nostalgia for the Indigo League episodes. It DOES have a ton of filler, no argument about that. 81 fillers by my last Approx. count, which is one episode short of the ENTIRE Indigo league saga. But there are some great episodes hidden in there (Wired for Battle, The Wayward Wobuffet, The Heart Break of Brock, Hook Line and Sinker, One Trick Phony, Snubble Snobbery, Ignorance is Blissey, For Crying Out Loud, The Superhero Secret, Tunnel Vision, Forest Grumps, the Grass Route, Fly me to the moon, plant it now diglett later, same old song and dance, Address Unown) and if you look at all the episodes that AREN'T filler, it was waaay better than Indigo, especially the gym battles. The gym leaders got way more character development in Johto, and Ash won all his battles instead of getting pity badges.

You want to know the original reason, back in 2001 or whatever it was? Back then neither AG nor DP existed yet, so we we only had Kanto/Orange to compare Johto to.

Back then the "golden age" of Pokemon ended with Orange Islands. Johto had a hard time coming right after the nostalgic first season and Orange.

There's also the GS ball being dropped with no closure, the abrupt departures of Charizard/Squirtle, Ash's Johto Pokemon getting poor development, the lack of Gary, Brock/Misty starting to be ignored by the writers for the first time, a lot of the fillers, and Ash in general still acting like a moron.

Ash's stupidity in Kanto/Orange was fine because he was a newbie, but once Johto rolled along he had no excuse to keep making a moron out of himself. Thank god he changed when Hoenn started.

Back then the "golden age" of Pokemon ended with Orange Islands.

:D Kanto being considered the Golden Age... LOL

There's also the GS ball being dropped with no closure

That was lame, especially considering the crap we got intead *I'm looking at you fourth movie*

the abrupt departures of Charizard/Squirtle

Both had run their course and each of their departure episode was good. The show improved because they went away...

Ash's Johto Pokemon getting poor development

That's BS and you know it. First, they all got great personalities and were all shown to be able to defeat strong opponents. Again, compare to what came before and the Johto pokemon were a huge improvement in terms of personality.

Plus, let's not forget that Hot Matches was the first episode where we saw Ash actually training his pokemon...

the lack of Gary

He appeared as often as he appeared in Kanto...

Brock/Misty starting to be ignored by the writers for the first time

They both battled more in Johto then they ever did in Kanto OI...

a lot of the fillers

Quite frankly, that and the Kanto starters overstaying their welcome are the only two things the Johto saga has going against it...

and Ash in general still acting like a moron.

Ash's stupidity in Kanto/Orange was fine because he was a newbie, but once Johto rolled along he had no excuse to keep making a moron out of himself. Thank god he changed when Hoenn started.

What ? Ash started phasing out its moron phase in Johto, especially in battles actually coming up with strategies and being more dedicated to training...

- - - - -

Johto wasn't the best saga by far (DP and AG were both miles better) but it doesn't deserve all the crap it's getting...

Well back then, we really didn't care, its just now that it's begin compared to Kanto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, we only realise how many fillers it contained.

With his team i pretty sure its the same. Now begin comapared to Hoenn and Sinnoh and even Kanto, Johto pokemon team line up is at the bottom of the list, by evolutions and moves and pokemon development, as in their personailty etc. If you don't think things through and deep, it really doesn't matter.

And with the comparision of Sinnoh and Johto fillers, Sinnoh never had a million fillers to begin with. its was the gap of the gym battles of towns of Snowpoint and Sunnyshore that the massive line of fillers were introcduced. now that Sinnoh ledge is coming to a end, all the episode introduced are important. so the filler arc of Sinnoh ends there.

Johto was just line after line of fillers, making no point or sense and boring the viewers.

And Ash's attitude didn't help back then. Let's be glad it changed when he reached Hoenn.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom