• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Why is the reception for Sword and Shield so polarizing?

You know what sucks, my escape from politics right now, is starting to look an awful lot like politics right now. Everyone has a side and they dig their heels in and disagree with almost anything that doesn't line up with their opinion. Does this make all of you feel happy, does it feel good to yell at each other on the internet? Have you really accomplished anything? If you have I haven't seen it.

What makes me really tiered is how polarized this community has become. Why? Why do we have to have the same attitude about a game we play as we do our politics? I don't want to come home after a long day and open the internet only to realize that my political feeds and my fun feeds look the same. What the hell is that even supposed to say about who we are as people?

I'm not convinced that people hate Pokemon Sword and Shield. I am starting to think that you all hate each other though, and are just looking for a reason to fight about something.
Most people on this forum seem to be rather civil actually. While arguments have definitely turned south from time to time, especially on other forums, nothing here has been really vitriolic. No one here hates each other. And it's no surprise that a game with a polarizing decision divides the fandom; unless we all think the same why, unfortunately we will have "the same attitude about a game we play as we do our politics."

Most people on this forum seem to be rather civil actually. While arguments have definitely turned south from time to time, especially on other forums, nothing here has been really vitriolic. No one here hates each other. And it's no surprise that a game with a polarizing decision divides the fandom; unless we all think the same why, unfortunately we will have "the same attitude about a game we play as we do our politics."

You and I must have very different definitions of "Vitriolic" this whole thread is filled with vitriol, the name is filled with vitriol. If you want to say that people on these forms have been more civil to each other then other places on the internet then you'll be right, but it's the worst kind of right. Only just technically, because being more civil than the rest of the Pokemon community right now is a rather low bar.

Pulsaro's been liking these posts responding to you in this thread-do you think they have a personal vendetta against you?

To answer this question before I turn into a conspiracy theory subject as well: it's actually more so because I agree with their general idea. There've been a small couple of posts that have a sentence or two that I might not fully agree with, but I still liked them because I agree with the core message (or because I found it interesting... or maybe I found it funny... or maybe, because of my phone lagging, I accidentally liked something without realizing it).

And I'm not out to make SwSh seem like they're the devil incarnated. Personally, there're some things that I actually do like/love about them: I really enjoy the designs for half of the new roster of Pokémon (Rillaboom has even officially become my No.1 favorite Grass starter and it was introduced this Gen), the music is incredible and quite exciting (and they even got a Toby Fox track in there!), the games look aesthetically gorgeous and the graphics are a definite improvement from Sun and Moon (even if they're still not that great compared to many, many other games of today), I appreciate some of the changes to the competitive side (even if I'm not into that stuff, I still find it interesting), some of the ideas introduced are quite interesting (even if, execution wise, some of them leave a lot to be desired) and I really they expand on some of them in the future, the first half of the story is quite good if you ask me, I do like that they've introduce three rivals and that each of them represent an archetype of a rival that we've seen before (since, in this case, it helps please everyone (at least in theory)), I really love/like some of the characters (like Leon, Sonia, Bede, Marnie, Opal (surprisingly, but that's mostly because of her quiz) and some others).... There are more than a few things that I really like about them.

But, for me, that doesn't excuse all of the bad surrounding them. The Dex cut (with a lot of my favorites not making it into the game unfortunately), the move cut (some of which I actually enjoyed using, even if they weren't that great), the removal of Megas, the lackluster animations for Pokémon (and I'm not talking only about their moves), the terrible battle backgrounds (though that's only in some cases), the poor graphics (which were used as a scapegoat to defend the previous stuff I mentioned), the somewhat lackluster post-game, the underwhelming and somewhat subpar graphics, the lack of transparency and communication from GF regarding this whole debacle... and these are all just from the top of my head. I'm sure if I took the time to look into it a little more, I'd find a lot more problems. But pointing these issues that the games have doesn't mean that I'm outright ignoring all the good or that I'm actively hating on the games.

In the end, it will all come down to a person's preferences and whether they are willing to overlook the games' flaws and simply enjoy it for what it is or not. In my case, I can't, especially since I think these problems could've easily been at least partially fixed had they delayed the games. And I'm sorry for those of you who really enjoy these games and want to hear positive things about them, but I (and many others) just can't ignore these flaws. But that isn't stopping you from playing and enjoying the games and sharing all your positive experiences with them.

Overall... I'm really tired right now and I have no idea what the core message of my post even is, nor do I know how to end this so.... have this wholesome picture of a happy Kirby to brighten up your day/night/whatever.

EDIT: Don't mind me, just fixing some of the grammar errors.

Last edited:
To answer this question before I turn into a conspiracy theory subject as well: it's actually more so because I agree with their general idea. There've been a small couple of poste that have a sentence or two that I don't agree with, but I still liked them because I agree with the core message (or because I found it interesting... or maybe I found it funny... or maybe, because of my phone lagging, I accidentally liked something without realizing it).

And I'm not out to make SwSh seem like they're the devil incarnated. Personally, there're some things that I actually do like/love about them: I really enjoy the designs for half of the new roster of Pokémon (Rillaboom has even officially become my No.1 favorite Grass starter and it was introduced this Gen), the music is incredible and quite exciting (and they even got a Toby Fox track in there!), the games look aesthetically gorgeous and the graphics are a definite improvement from Sun and Moon (even if they're still not that great compared to many, many other games of today), I appreciate some of the changes to the competitive side (even if I'm not into that stuff, I still find it interesting), some of the ideas introduced are quite interesting (even if, execution wise, some of them leave a lot to be desired) and I really they expand on some of them in the future, the first half of the story is quite good if you ask me, I do like that they've introduce three rivals and that each of them represent an archetype of a rival that we've seen before (since, in this case, it helps please everyone (at least in theory)), I really love/like some of the characters (like Leon, Sonia, Bede, Marnie, Opal (surprisingly, but that's mostly because of her quiz) and some others).... There are more than a few things that I really like about them.

But, for me, that doesn't excuse all of the bad surrounding them. The Dex cut (with a lot of my favorites not making it into the game unfortunately), the move cut (some of which I actually enjoyed using, even if they weren't that great), the removal of Megas, the lackluster animations for moves, the terrible battle backgrounds (though that's only in some cases), the poor graphics (which were used as a scapegoat to defend the previous stuff I mentioned), the somewhat lackluster post-game, the underwhelming and somewhat subpar graphics, the lack of transparency and communication from GF regarding this whole debacle... and just from the top of my head. I'm sure if I took the time to look into it a little more, I'd find a lot more problems. But pointing these issues that the games have doesn't mean that I'm outright ignoring all the good or that I'm actively hating on the games.

In the end, it will all come down to a person's preferences and whether they are willing to overlook the games' flaws and simply enjoy it for what it is or not. In my case, I can't, especially since I think these problems could've easily been at least partially fixed had they delayed the games. And I'm sorry for those of you who really enjoy these games and want to hear positive things about them, but I (and many others) just can't ignore these flaws. But that isn't stopping you from playing and enjoying the games and sharing all your positive experiences with them.

Overall... I'm really tired right now and I have no idea what the core message of my post even is, nor do I know how to end this so.... have this wholesome picture of a happy Kriby to brighten up your day/night/whatever.

Praise the Elderith Slaying Puffball

Praise the Elderith Slaying Puffball
more like praise the insane and chaotic gumball

Because there's nowhere near as much depth as the DS games and the presentation is nowhere near par for not just a Switch game, but past Pokemon console games.

Wild area is advertised as some big amazing thing. But it's just a barren wasteland with nothing to see.

The only thing it does right is streamline accessibility for competitive play. I'm literally only getting this one just because I can play with my brother for once.

I haven't paid much attention to leaks, but based on what I'm seeing in prerelease info, it looks like progression will be strictly limited to pressing A through dialogue with unlikable characters. No trees you need to find a way to get through, no water you can't just bike over on your wheeled sonic screw driver. Just nothing to give you that sense of success.

they don't know how to set the game before playing it?

Battle style - set

Unbeknown to a surprisingly high number of trainers, there is a setting within the options menu called "battle style". This has actually been in Pokemon games since the first generation but has either been missed or ignored by a lot of players.

By default it is set to 'switch' which means during battles you are given the option to switch each time you knock a Pokemon out. The game will tell you which Pokemon is coming next and therefore you can switch to a species that has a type advantage, making the game all too easy.

However, if you change this option to 'set' you will no longer have this luxury. It will play out like a Pokemon battle was supposed to, where you don't know every species, and more importantly type, beforehand.

It will make you more strategic as opposed to being able to blitz through enemies teams at will. There is also the bonus of making the easiest battles even quicker as there is less text to sift through.

__

try to catch 6 pokemon but use only 3 in battles during gyms...
Try to switch your 3 pokemon every second gym and don't focus on one pokemon to overpower it too much.

they don't know how to set the game before playing it?

Battle style - set
This has literally been in the games since (before, I think?) Gen 4, so it’s pretty obvious it isn’t doing much.
try to catch 6 pokemon but use only 3 in battles during gyms...
Try to switch your 3 pokemon every second gym and don't focus on one pokemon to overpower it too much.
The rest of the 3 will get exp and level up anyway...

A streamer was able to get Rookiedee to evolve without using it at all (?) and its first batttle was sweeping Milo.

I am starting to think that you all hate each other though, and are just looking for a reason to fight about something.
I'll tell you that i personally (don't know about anyone else) have no ill will towards anyone in general or anyone that likes and it's excited for Sword and Shield. When i criticize something in the games, i'm criticize the games themselves and not anyone in particular.

Really, i only start taking issue with people is when they say i'm only complaining for the sake of it, my points are just pointless nitpicks or i'm just looking to be confrontational towards anyone that likes the games. Again, great that some people are enjoying them, but if i have grievances with the games, i'm gonna talk about them. People can disagree with them just fine, not everyone agrees with the same things, but being dismissive and trying to paint people that have issues as whiners or anything similar is just as bad as the people screaming that the game sucks in my opinion.

Like Karamazov has said, it's good to vent about issues you have with the game (or anything in particular) and that doesn't mean you are being vitriolic. You are only truly being vitriolic when you say the game sucks for no reason stated or saying that people that like the game are idiots. Haven't seen anyone do this in this thread yet.

Okay, without reading all 9 pages of what looks like drama, I'll give my two cents on why reaction to this is so polarizing... 1, it involves something people have DEEP emotional ties to from their childhood, and 2, it involves a fundamental clash between optimism and pessimism. The first point amplifies the second point, which is the one I'd like to focus on a bit more. Some people want to just enjoy things. Some people want to make sure they get better, and think criticizing flaws are the way things improve. Both are right, but I generally speaking lean towards pessimism. But if it's a video game like this, most people don't want the same level of stress and drama that, I dunno, the current impeachment hearings are eliciting about this. People are ACTIVELY looking to get away from negativity with this video game, even though negativity can be a really, really important part of life. So of course both these sides are going to alienate each other. What they want out of public reaction to this game is fundamentally at odds, and they get to deeper outlooks on life as a whole than you'd think a kid's game would get to. And then some people carry both sides too far, and they become banners of why one side of the debate is terrible in the discourse on the other side! The whole situation is just RIPE for acrimony.

I'll tell you that i personally (don't know about anyone else) have no ill will towards anyone in general or anyone that likes and it's excited for Sword and Shield. When i criticize something in the games, i'm criticize the games themselves and not anyone in particular.

Really, i only start taking issue with people is when they say i'm only complaining for the sake of it, my points are just pointless nitpicks or i'm just looking to be confrontational towards anyone that likes the games. Again, great that some people are enjoying them, but if i have grievances with the games, i'm gonna talk about them. People can disagree with them just fine, not everyone agrees with the same things, but being dismissive and trying to paint people that have issues as whiners or anything similar is just as bad as the people screaming that the game sucks in my opinion.

Like Karamazov has said, it's good to vent about issues you have with the game (or anything in particular) and that doesn't mean you are being vitriolic. You are only truly being vitriolic when you say the game sucks for no reason stated or saying that people that like the game are idiots. Haven't seen anyone do this in this thread yet.

I'm not accusing anyone in particular. Talking about groups is always easier then individuals.

There was a lot of negativity I needed to get off my chest and this thread seemed like as good a place as any.

If you feel you haven't done anything wrong I'm not here to try to prove you wrong. Nor is it worth my time to go through these forms post by post.

I will say though I'm currently off social media right now. Because when every other post about Pokemon is negative, or a reaction to the negative thing, I start to feel crumbly, depressed, and honestly angry. Even some of the most respectful criticism can start to feel heavy if it's the only thing I ever see.

And any mention or whisper of a criticism of that negativeity is met with a resounding and echoing "I have a right to express my opinion." And its honestly frustrating. Because you do have a right to express your opinion...but don't I have a right to express my emotions? Because your opinion makes me angry. Or am I expected to sit down and shut up, because opinions are fine, but emotions aren't?

Whether or not I have a right to go on social media without having to deal with that sort of thing is a philosophical conundrum probably to deep for the Bulbagarden forums, and that's fine, if it was easy the world would already be a much better place.

As I stated in my previous post, it's not just the people with negative things to say about these games and dexit who have acted inappropriately and stomped on people's feelings just to win an argument, I recognize that. But when the lines in the sand were drawn I always knew what side I would be on.

I think that's all I can say on the matter for some time.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go play Pokemon Shield.

I am bummed that they cut some Pokémon, Mega Evolutions, and Walking Pokémon. I am more excited for Sinnoh remakes, but since my friend offered to pay me a Switch and the games, I will get them.

Unfortunately, Game Freak is too busy rolling in money to hear our complaints.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom