• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Why is the reception for Sword and Shield so polarizing?

It's a semi-real thing, there is apparently a petition out there. Whether it's a serious thing or not is yet to be seen.

When I said it was ridiculous, I was talking about the amount of people that act like critics, not their opinions.
And why is it ridiculous that so many people are "acting like critics"? If there's nothing wrong with them sharing their opinions, there shouldn't be any problem with a lot of people doing it.

And just cause I say they're regular gamers, nothing about that says their opinions don't matter, I was just saying they act like gaming know it alls. So once again, nothing I said means their opinions don't matter.
If "they're acting like know-it-alls and don't really know what they're talking about", does that really sound like something worth listening to?
I asked if you think people can't have more than one type of opinion. Your way of thinking is black and white in thinking people can't have Multiple perspectives in thinking, and offering other ways to think of things mean they have to match my opinion. Or that they shouldn't criticize at all.
People have expressed several times that they like and dislike elements of the game, but when these same people express negative opinions, you tell them to focus on the positives. What am I suppose to take away from this other than "stop criticizing the games"? They're already expressing multiple perspectives, but you keep telling them to drop one of them. I expressed plenty of things I liked about this game, and you accused me of believing that there was nothing to enjoy about them.
And do you genuinely think there's absolutely no way for people to enjoy these games? If not why are you and anybody here to talk about it?
If you react to people sharing positive and negative feelings by telling them they're "focusing on complaints" or "believing there's nothing good", then how can anyone think that you're asking for multiple perspectives when you tell people to stop being negative?

And for the final time I never said that they should never think. negative.
When every criticism is met with "focus on the positives", you're not exactly encouraging their expression.

So since you consistently misinterpret what I say then treat me like I'm always in the wrong, you tell me what you consider fair.
You said I'm trying to act like your parole officer, but sure, I'm the one who's trying to misinterpret things.

Express your opinion, even your opinion about someone else's opinion, and stop accusing other people of trying to silence you/undermine you/act like your opinion doesn't matter when they just disagree with you, and stop deriding other people as "whining", "pouting", "acting like children", "acting like know-it-alls", "don't know how to have fun", etc. just because they criticize something you're fine with. That's a pretty easy thing to ask for-it's just basic decency.

Just imagine if these things were flipped around and said back to you.

"Is everybody just going to be in reviewer mode these days? I know people like them but this is ridiculous."

"Nothing out of you this time, Knightwolf. Getting information about something before buying it is better than impulse purchases, many will agree."

"If you genuinely think there's no problem with this game and everyone will enjoy it, why are you even talking about it here?"

"They act like they're experts and know how hard it is to model, code, etc. but they're just gamers guessing about why they've been cut."

"You act like my personal parole officer, waiting for me to criticize the game so you can undermine me and tell me it's not a big deal."

"Stop just focusing on what you have NOW, and think about what else you could have."

"Complaining about 'I'm tired of people asking for the national dex!' like the site is all about you just sounds like whiny pouting."

If I said any of these things, would you honestly say I was being considerate of other people's opinions?

Last edited:
And why is it ridiculous that so many people are "acting like critics"? If there's nothing wrong with them sharing their opinions, there shouldn't be any problem with a lot of people doing it.
Cause you'd expect most gamers to be regular people who like to have fun like I do.

If "they're acting like know-it-alls and don't really know what they're talking about", does that really sound like something worth listening to?
By your logic everybody is worth listening to. Cause it's someone's opinion right?

People have expressed several times that they like and dislike elements of the game, but when these same people express negative opinions, you tell them to focus on the positives. What am I suppose to take away from this other than "stop criticizing the games"? They're already expressing multiple perspectives, but you keep telling them to drop one of them. I expressed plenty of things I liked about this game, and you accused me of believing that there was nothing to enjoy about them.
Try compiling a list of positives people that have complained that didn't last only one sentence.

If you react to people sharing positive and negative feelings by telling them they're "focusing on complaints" or "believing there's nothing good", then how can anyone think that you're asking for multiple perspectives when you tell people to stop being negative?
Cause you're mainly the one that acts like there's nothing good about them. And I am asking through multiple perspectives cause I'm asking from the positive to their negative.

When every criticism is met with "focus on the positives", you're not exactly encouraging their expression.
No, I asking em to think about what they like, instead of just harping on what they don't alone.

You said I'm trying to act like your parole officer, but sure, I'm the one who's trying to misinterpret things.
Thank you for understanding (That's a joke btw)

Express your opinion, even your opinion about someone else's opinion, and stop accusing other people of trying to silence you/undermine you/act like your opinion doesn't matter when they just disagree with you, and stop deriding other people as "whining", "pouting", "acting like children", "acting like know-it-alls", "don't know how to have fun", etc. just because they criticize something you're fine with. That's a pretty easy thing to ask for-it's just basic decency.
The same can be said to you, cause whenever I oppose your opinion you take it as me saying you're not allowed to think otherwise, that anyone that doesn't agree or tolerate your opinion is someone that has to be proven as objectively wrong for doing so.

Just imagine if these things were flipped around and said back to you.

"Is everybody just going to be in reviewer mode these days? I know people like them but this is ridiculous."

"Nothing out of you this time, Knightwolf. Getting information about something before buying it is better than impulse purchases, many will agree."

"If you genuinely think there's no problem with this game and everyone will enjoy it, why are you even talking about it here?"

"They act like they're experts and know how hard it is to model, code, etc. but they're just gamers guessing about why they've been cut."

"You act like my personal parole officer, waiting for me to criticize the game so you can undermine me and tell me it's not a big deal."

"Stop just focusing on what you have NOW, and think about what else you could have."

"Complaining about 'I'm tired of people asking for the national dex!' like the site is all about you just sounds like whiny pouting."

If I said any of these things, would you honestly say I was being considerate of other people's opinions?
Honestly reading back, some of this stuff sounds like thing you'd say to me.

Cause you'd expect most gamers to be regular people who like to have fun like I do.
So the problem is that they're not having enough fun? But you just said that you wanted people to have multiple perspectives, that you didn't have a problem with people talking about negatives as long as they had something positive.
By your logic everybody is worth listening to. Cause it's someone's opinion right?
So, you admit that you're saying they weren't worth listening to?
Try compiling a list of positives people that have complained that didn't last only one sentence.
People are going to elaborate more on why they don't like something than why they do, because it's more acceptable to just say "I like it!" But, sure, let's go ahead.

Should I start with SpinyShell, the first person on this thread criticizing SwSh?
I like this one even more. I'm kinda disappointed it evolves into Corviknight even though I really like Corviknight. I wish it was a separate line.
I would like to note here that most people really like these additions, even people who are highly critical of the games otherwise.
So I’m gonna post right now because I know this thread is probably going to be full of spoilers soon.

As for what I’m excited about, I’d say the new Pokémon and Galar forms. I know I ragged on them a bit in the leak repository and new Pokémon discussion threads, but I’m still interested in seeing them, especially since I haven’t seen all of them. I’m especially excited to see the Poison/Electric dinosaur and its evolution(s).
Interesting. I've been hoping for a TM system with both repeat-use and single-use TMs, so I'm excited for this feature. Do know if they will they be restricted to the end-game?
I'm not too keen on the other Pokemon, but the ball python is one of the few leaked 'mons that I like so...

While the design is a bit goofy, I do like it; it's very unique for a snake Pokemon and I feel that it has a lot of potential. The head and its expression is great in my opinion and the colors are also nice. I'm a big fan of cream, brown, and black put together.

Should we look at PkmnTrainerV, who said we should make our concerns heard?
I really love the howls in the music!
Woah! It’ll look even better in the Crowned form! It’s seriously beautiful.
I imagine the Zamazenta shiny will be fully magenta coloured then.
There are some Pokémon I like, some I don’t, some I haven’t decided on. I was spoiled by Gen 6 and 7 since I liked so many designs that I lost count, but Gen 8 definitely isn’t the worst one of them.
Here are the Pokémon I unquestionably like:

1. Corviknight line
  2. Yamper Line
  3. Cufant (not Copperajah)
  4. Frosmoth line
  5. Centiskorch line
The fire and ice bugs are top notch,
Here's the Pokémon I like the most so far...

Scorbunny > Raboot> Cinderace (Fire)
Rookiedee > Corvisquire > Corviknight (Steel/Flying)
Yamper > Bolthund (Electric)
Frosmoth and Centiscorch (I like both of them) (Ice/Bug or Fire/Bug)

Wooloo's evolution and Intelleon are honourable mentions.

Aurorus, who said in this thread that people should want more?
I must say, I think they did a great job with most of these shinies. Definitely better than last gen IMO.
Yes, that's exactly how I feel! I hate how a lot of shinies turn puke green (Jolteon, anyone?) or something like that. I like when they make sense in the context of the Pokemon and actually look good. I even like the Galarian Zigzagoon/Linoone/Obstagoon shiny, cuz even though it has some crazy colors, it really fits the punk rock/Kiss/Team Yell association it has going on.
Yeah. I kind of like subtle changes. For example, I will point to the Applin/Flapple/Appletun line. They make it a green apple in the shiny form instead of a red apple. I think that's cute. Or Corviknight turns into a white/grey knight. Or Galarian Corsola/Cursula gets more of its "original" color back.

So it might not be the most colorful but I think they all look tasteful. Does that make sense?

Pax Unda, who said here that Game Freak has the resources to do better?
Both of them are like Deoxys's theme on steroids and crack at the same time, I love it
I still like Arctovish, and I admit I like Dracovish too, but at least none of them are Dracozolt
Glad we finally have an Ice line, and one that's a unique combo no less
Blipbug seems to be the regional insect; actually, have we had a Bug/Psychic before?
Glad gen 5 Pokemon that need it are getting Galarian variants, let's hope Stunfisk is good

Weird...my evil plan to make SwSh look like there's nothing good seems to not involve any of them.
Cause you're mainly the one that acts like there's nothing good about them.
Oooh, I know Zekrom isn't mean to be a scary Pokemon, but "you see a large, dark figure, it sees you, and it starts following you, then chasing you when you try to run away" is delightful Pokehorror.
Took out the minigames in Pokemon amie
  • They're not back, but Camp has new ways to interact with Pokemon, and to see them interact together, so I'm content
Hated that colors were version exclusive for some customization
  • Don't know if it's been confirmed if they still are or not. Customization's definitely better, though.
I'd say it was making the same growth I expect and appreciate out of a new gen-fun Pokemon, region, and characters, graphic improvement, fleshing out some established mechanics like customization and affection, and adding something interesting and original, like the Wild Area
Form change convenience! Though I wonder how they'll explain that in-universe.
Ooh, yay, another charm!
Ooh, I actually really like that! Uncovering a legendary coverup like that sounds like loads of fun! It also makes the berts that much more tolerable, because now I know they're meant to grate on you with those names and hair!
GMax Melmetal?

GMax Toxtricity?

Also I love this rainbow Alcreamie:
Honestly, I kinda like that contrast. The natural locations get a whimsical feel to them, while the industrial ones get standardized and stripped to basics. It kinda sets the tone for their atmospheres.
That Screen Cleaner ability will be fun!
Yep, nothing good ever. (This is sarcasm btw)

The same can be said to you, cause whenever I oppose your opinion you take it as me saying you're not allowed to think otherwise, that anyone that doesn't agree or tolerate your opinion is someone that has to be proven as objectively wrong for doing so.
I've never said you didn't allow people to think differently, I said you didn't let other people express their different opinions. You literally told me not to be part of a conversation because I disagreed with you.
No offense, but none out of you this time Tech. Actually experiencing for one self is much better than watching. Many will agree.
And do you genuinely think there's absolutely no way for people to enjoy these games? If not why are you and anybody here to talk about it?
And you literally had a whole rant about how everyone else was "silencing" you.
And the moment I say we should think more positively I get the opinion card thrown in my face, or I'm suddenly part of the for pokemon for liking their work. When I'm just as big of a lover for pokemon as anybody here. I defend it BECAUSE I know it's succeeding when others only see it as failing cause of decisions they don't like. Especially when SOME of the dislikes are mostly nitpicks at best. So I fight because I want my opinions to be heard as well instead of being shoved aside or undermined because my opinion doesn't match theirs. Like a child being shoved aside to let the grown ups talk.
How can you not see the hypocrisy of accusing other people of shoving you aside after telling someone else not to speak?

No, I asking em to think about what they like, instead of just harping on what they don't alone.
But you ignore every time they do express what they like. You tell me "You act like there's nothing good about the game" and "show me people talking about positives for more than one sentence". If you're ignoring when they do express positives, then saying "they should think about both" doesn't actually mean anything, because you refuse to acknowledge when people do exactly that.

Honestly reading back, some of this stuff sounds like thing you'd say to me.
I've never once insulted you or told you not to be part of a conversation. These are all things that you've said.

And you didn't answer my question-if I said this, would you say I was being respectful?

A shame, too, that certain people believe that they can't take breaks in order to meet certain deadlines, which can affect the welfares of their employees. If they must release new content yearly, the overwork will tire them out or make them less creative, and lead to lower quality works. Entitled fans will harass the developers, affecting their mental health, and putting them at risk of suicide.

Let's Go Pikachu! and Let's Go Eevee! were not necessary games. I am not entirely sure that SM / USUM were necessary either.

I think the last time we've had two or more years pass between main series games was from ORAS in 2014 to SM in 2016. The earlier games allowed more time for development compared to today. Game Freak could've delayed SwSh from Q4 2019 to Q1 2020 to program several hundred more Pokémon in, but that would delay the merchandise and anime. And we know what can happen if the anime is forced to pad out its run with fillers, even with the chance to finish leftover arcs. It's a morton's fork either way; release on time and be harassed by pro-dexers, or delay but lose millions of dollars in halting merchandise.

The new direction of the anime sort of makes the gap between games irrelevant going forward, but good point either way.

Yearly releases leading to lower quality works aren't exclusive to Pokémon. Look at Disney after 1995. Development for Beauty and the Beast required little breaks. Although later films starting with Aladdin went easier on their employees, the quality eventually went down after The Lion King because a film had to be released each year. By 2006, we get bad films such as Home on the Range and especially Chicken Little from this mentality.

Disney is back to the constant release cycle, but they have multiple studios now working on new media. But point taken, I think that forces outside of Game Freak are caught up by wants / needs to keep the money machine of Pokemon going.

Is expecting a Pokemon game on the same level as BotW or Mario Odyssey really that high of an expectation? From what I've seen, what most people expected from SwSh isn't that extreme; some of what people wanted in SwSh, such as properly scaled in-battle models or high quality graphics, has already been shown to be possible. Plus, while adding all Pokemon seems a little unfeasible, many would be satisfied with free DLC or patches. And most people were fine with the state of SwSh until Dexit and the reasonings behind it caused them to scrutinize the games.

While I don't doubt that some fan backlash is definitely too aggressive and can have very negative consequences, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill overall. Dexit backlash isn't going to absolutely ruin GameFreak.

Did you not read all the criticism GF got last night when the #GameFreakLied was trending? We are beyond Dexit at this point, the Switch is a system that has more power than the 3DS but some comments I read gave the indication that the visuals were less than stellar in places. And also based on data mining, the game is built on the same engine as LGPE and it seems as if a lot of the code is recycled. What I am getting at here, is that I think Game Freak probably cut a lot of corners in order to meet the deadline.

In the end, expectations were naturally high because these are the first mainline games for a "home console" (that is also a handheld, I get it), and some people naturally expected more. My issues are actually with dynamax / gigantimax / regional forms - but I can see where people are coming from. If the games end up having some things I am frustrated with / angry with, I am going to direct that energy towards TCPi in general.

No, I asking em to think about what they like, instead of just harping on what they don't alone
FYI other than this comment chain almost every post TechSkylander has made also lists the positives, this is something I actively noticed. Most users are also doing that. No one's just posting the negatives. They’re posting the positives too, if you bother to look.

I think the threat shouldn’t really exist. The title sounds like clickbait to get people not happy with the games to post and get flamed and baited by the people who actually like the games (and vice versa too!). At the end what everyone experiences is valid in their own right, and no one has any right to go around telling people to stop sharing their positive or negative opinions or to only "look at the positives/negatives".

No one on these forums to my knowledge is whining or trolling so, I feel those arguments when used here are unwarranted.
I'd actually be perfectly fine if this thread got locked since other threads provide enough discussion and don’t have an inherently charged premise like this one.

I mentioned this in another thread... but if you paid for something, obviously you want to get your money's worth. You don't just pick up $50~60 anywhere; ($200~300 if you are buying the Switch/Lite for the first time). It's not wrong to have high expectations, especially for a franchise like Pokemon that so many people grew up with.

In my case I don't hate the games. I will not play these pair and so at the moment I can just comment on what has been made (or not) so far. My humble advice to those that hate the game and quoting an old sign is "Don't throw the game, throw Poké Balls instead".

I think these games and GF suffers from the same treatment that Fallout and Bethesda got: the games had flaws but the audience could still appreciate the game in general and minimise the problems...until it started having too much of them and not being the game most people wanted or expected to be.
I'm now fearful of the Sinnoh remakes but I'll buy a Switch to play Bloodstained and some other games. As for Pokémon, I'll vote with my wallet by not supporting the games, the prominent staff behind it (aka Masuda and Ohmori) and the way the games are suffering from being part of a franchise as a whole that needs products to be released at a steady pace in order to be consumed.

Last edited:
You know what sucks, my escape from politics right now, is starting to look an awful lot like politics right now. Everyone has a side and they dig their heels in and disagree with almost anything that doesn't line up with their opinion. Does this make all of you feel happy, does it feel good to yell at each other on the internet? Have you really accomplished anything? If you have I haven't seen it.

What makes me really tiered is how polarized this community has become. Why? Why do we have to have the same attitude about a game we play as we do our politics? I don't want to come home after a long day and open the internet only to realize that my political feeds and my fun feeds look the same. What the hell is that even supposed to say about who we are as people?

I'm not convinced that people hate Pokemon Sword and Shield. I am starting to think that you all hate each other though, and are just looking for a reason to fight about something.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom