• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is the US dubs cable exclusive?

Should Pokemon stop being Cable-Exclusive?

• Total voters

Pikachu4170

Reaction score
I already asked this in another thread...

I started a new one to simply focus more to this kind of topic.

Here is my comment:
I'm not trying to offend anybody, but why are they still broadcasting the US dubs on Cartoon Network?

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but Cartoon Network just keeps getting tedious over the years...

I think Pokemon should go team up with another media company to air the dubs (It would be better if it weren't in a cable-exclusive channel).

-=UPDATE=-
But, after hearing from the people, I changed the title up.
So scratch the idea of moving channels and focus more on why "Cable-Exclusive"?

Last edited:
Re: Why is the US dubs still in Cartoon Network (TimeWarner)?

Cartoon network doesn't do the dubbing. They just air the finished product. if Pokemon was aired after spongebob on nickolodeon or something it would still be the same episode.

Cartoon network doesn't do the dubbing. They just air the finished product.

That part I do fully understand.

All I'm asking is why air the final product On Cartoon Network?
I heard CN is getting tedious over the years cancelling one of their nostalgic episodes and they put more useless shows...

CN is went from awesome to nothing thru years past...

Cartoon network doesn't do the dubbing. They just air the finished product.

That part I do fully understand.

All I'm asking is why air the final product On Cartoon Network?
I heard CN is getting tedious over the years cancelling one of their nostalgic episodes and they put more useless shows...

CN is went from awesome to nothing thru years past...

Well they bought the rights to Pokemon so they get to show it. That's all there is.

Well they bought the rights to Pokemon so they get to show it.

I thought those "rights" expired years ago...

Licenses don't last that long...

A company can renew the rights if they so choose. So if CN decides to renew the rights then they keep the show even longer.

Cartoon Network has had the series airing premieres since Battle Frontier. I really don't think that they're going to be interested in dropping their license over the show anytime soon, especially with a new series on the way. While they don't advertize the show that much beyond some Saturday morning promos, marathons and the newest movies, I don't really see any advantage from moving it to a new channel. They treat it fairly well for a third party show and they probably want to keep for a long time.

A company can renew the rights if they so choose. So if CN decides to renew the rights then they keep the show even longer.
Sometimes, CN cancels many shows just to make room for more tedious shows making Pokemon one of those shows that is the ONLY good thing on there. (I don't wanna mention some of the cancelled ones to prevent being off topic)

Cartoon Network has had the series airing premieres since Battle Frontier. I really don't think that they're going to be interested in dropping their license over the show anytime soon, especially with a new series on the way. While they don't advertize the show that much beyond some Saturday morning promos, marathons and the newest movies, I don't really see any advantage from moving it to a new channel. They treat it fairly well for a third party show and they probably want to keep for a long time.
You got a very interesting point, but CN is one of those channels that forced you to change to cable since the late 90s.
I get my broadcasts Over The Air (Antenna), making me kind of a cheap guy since cable prices got higher.
It's fine if it can stay on CN or go to another channel (Anyhoo, gotta change the title...).
But TimeWarner should stop being always forcing people to get cable.
I despise cable TV, too messy and too expensive.

Last edited:

You got a very interesting point, but CN is one of those channels that forced you to change to cable since the late 90s.
I get my broadcasts Over The Air (Antenna), making me kind of a cheap guy since cable prices got higher.
I despise channels exclusive to cable.

I can understand that, especially when Pokemon was airing premieres on broadcast TV for years, and cable isn't cheap. Still, Cartoon Network seems satisfied with the series and they unfortunately don't consider people who can't afford getting their channel. Even if Cartoon Network stopped airing Pokemon, I don't really see it going to a non-cable channel, mainly because there aren't a lot of broadcast channels left that would be interested in airing it, and I imagine that TPCI would want to put it on a cable channel anyway. Since I don't see Cartoon Network dropping the license for the series anytime soon, I think that your best options now would be to watch episodes on Pokemon.com and/or buy/rent the DVDs.

Still, Cartoon Network seems satisfied with the series and they unfortunately don't consider people who can't afford getting their channel. I don't really see it going to a non-cable channel, mainly because there aren't a lot of broadcast channels left that would be interested in airing it, and I imagine that TPCI would want to put it on a cable channel anyway. I think that your best options now would be to watch episodes on Pokemon.com and/or buy/rent the DVDs.
Pokemon.com's On Demand system is scheduled. If I miss an episode, I'm screwed.
Also, I don't wanna make a mess with DVDs due to it's prone to scratches...

Now you are starting to make me do a change.org petition to TimeWarner...

Pokemon.com's On Demand system is scheduled. If I miss an episode, I'm screwed.
Also, I don't wanna make a mess with DVDs due to it's prone to scratches...

Now you are starting to make me do a change.org petition to TimeWarner...

If you miss an episode, you would just have to wait until it cycles back. It's a bit annoying, but it's not like you wouldn't be able to see the episode on their website ever again. I can understand not wanting to mess with DVDs due to scratches, but there are ways to clean it if that does happen. Sad to say, but you don't have many options if you aren't able to get cable. You could make a petition, but I don't think that it would do any good. Online petitions rarely do anything and I don't think that Cartoon Network would be willing to give up Pokemon, especially when they're close to starting a new series.

You could always watch it online, they're usually up a day after they air.

There are certain sites That has all the dubbed episodes uploaded.

Too bad none of those can be posted here.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom