• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is Unova modern in Black and rural in White?

rafaelluik

I eat eggs in users' sigs
Reaction score
This came into my mind...

Why is Unova modernized in Black and more natural in White?
I mean, which one is the true Unova? Or is the plot of each game happening in a different time?
Or is there something affecting space-time? hehe

I'd like to know if this answer is in the games (I'm playing White and I haven't finished it yet [have just won the Elite Four]).

Simple:

Black = Technology
White = Nature

Its the same with the theme of the dragons Reshiram(nature)/Zekrom(technology), and is the theme of Unova. Duality and Yin/Yang, therefore they both together are the real Unova.

Parallel universes. Both games are a parallel reality with each other in where similar events happen but with subtle differences.
So in one world Unova got modernized, while in the other it remained rural. In one Reshiram awoke, and in the other it was Zekrom.

Which one is real is something silly to question, both are the real on their own, and mirror the other one.

Or basically Game Freak's way of saying "don't eat your head with canon, it's intentionally left open so players shape their world how they want".

What if in BW2, it changes? What if in White2 Unova has modernised and gone through rapid development. and in Black2 I dunno, something happened which made them want to go back to a rural way of living, or maybe an economic collapse or something?

Blame Mother 3. A lot of its themes made it into BW.

Haha, correct.

Black seems to be based off modernized Tazmily (especially Opelicuid). Or after Porky invaded the Nowhere Islands and corrupted it.

White seems to be based off past Tazmily (Of course, Opelicuid.) Or before Porky destroyed the Nowhere Islands.

So - correct. Black and White's nature is based off MOTHER 3's nature.

Black and White play with the concept of opposites between versions (referencing Yin and Yang), hence why Black is urban while White is rural. But which one is canon is up to the player I suppose.

So, remember Drayden and Iris' story? About how the sons of the heroes and Z&R destroyed Unova? Well, think about it this way. In Black, Zekrom was the main attacker, but his electricity didn't destroy technology. It just took them out, probably made them inoperable, but still allowed humanity to rebuild into the future, leading to Black and Opelucid City's modernity and the like. Meanwhile, in White Reshiram simply destroyed everything with flames. With no technology to use, humanity never cleared White Forest to build Black City or turned to technology instead of tradition in Opelucid. So now you know.

Maybe a little off-topic, but I'm curious: which one do you prefer, White's world or Black's?

Maybe a little off-topic, but I'm curious: which one do you prefer, White's world or Black's?

I like both equally! There are times that I want to be in the more rural environment of White and other times I want to be in the more urban environment of Black

I'm more of a city guy, but White Forest and rural Opelucid City were more unique. Black City was kind of unique but there are several other cities in the game already (like Castelia) that felt more alive and utilized the system's technology better.

Black City > White Forest when it comes to function, though.

Black and White have a Yin and Yang theme, so some features of the game are completely oppisite from their other version, just like Yin and Yang.

I don't remember Drayden and Iris' story! :(

The man upstairs in the Pokémon Center says that sometimes he thinks someone just like him is living in a completely different way in another place/dimension...

Hm, perhaps merging the two parallel universes will be the plot of the next game? (Black 2 and White 2 Kyurem forms point to that "fusion" or, reversely, Black 2 and White 2 plot could be placed way before in the storyline when the universe wasn't split yet)

BW - Kyurem / Zekrom / Reshiram -> B2W2 - Black / White Kyurem -> Gray - a "Master" Kyurem in which Zekrom and Reshiram are both absorbed into it. (Or reverse the arrows.)

It's crazy anyway.

Actually, I think the other dimensions thing makes a lot of sense, I've thought about that subject for years using my logics and it's actually pretty, logical! Other dimensions not existing is actually almost impossible if you think about it, there can be other dimensions in fiction, as well as reality. It's even possible for fiction and reality to cross their paths with dimensional help. Also, anything, even physically impossible can happen when another dimension would bridge with ours...

Actually, I think the other dimensions thing makes a lot of sense, I've thought about that subject for years using my logics and it's actually pretty, logical! Other dimensions not existing is actually almost impossible if you think about it, there can be other dimensions in fiction, as well as reality. It's even possible for fiction and reality to cross their paths with dimensional help. Also, anything, even physically impossible can happen when another dimension would bridge with ours...
Are you talking about reality?? In that case there's no scientific proof such thing as an another dimension exists.

Remember the episode in the anime where they crossed a bridge and met a gothitelle?
That was probably the rural unova and the one they are in now the modern unova.

I like the way the designed each version differently. Though I prefer White, Black is great as well. The differences are interesting, and all of your explanations seem plausible.

Wasn't there a man in Black who wanted a klink from the past (White) and vice-versa to talk to his father (or something like that)?
This could mean Black is the future of White. Two stories happening at different times.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom