• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why no Night-time themes?

Blazaking

Former Staff Artist
Reaction score
Night-time versions of music of cities and routes seemed to be a very nice addition to the series. Likewise, most people also thought they would re-appear in HGSS aswell. But, for some reason, this did not happen. Why do you think it didn't?

I think it was because they were afraid of remixing the themes too much and were worried fans might not like them.

Last edited:
probably for the nostalgia sake. GSC never had that. And I wonder if people even noticed. this is the first I've heard of night themes (though, since I hardly play with the sound on or during the day, that's not surprising.)

probably for the nostalgia sake. GSC never had that. And I wonder if people even noticed. this is the first I've heard of night themes (though, since I hardly play with the sound on or during the day, that's not surprising.)

Its basically the music playing slower. GB Player > that.

The game already has 171 tracks, and that's not including the 99 tracks created for the GB Player. I don't think anyone can *really* complain about there not being any nighttime themes.

I have to double check this but I'm sure the wild battle music in the original GSC had a night and day tune from when I played them last time. Though I'm pretty sure it was the same tune played on different notes. I seemed to somewhat like the night tune over the day tune as a kid when it came to wild battles so I'm pretty sure there was for that at least. Though yeah that's practically all there was when it came to tune differences in the originals unless my ears had been fooling me as a kid all these years.=/

It's not like I try to take notice of it these days.

Personally, I couldn't care less. The differences were so subtle, I didn't even notice the difference in most themes (aside from Jubilife and Oreburgh themes, and the Center theme).

True, true... But I liked listening to the night version of the Pokémon Center.

God, I HATE the night version of Pokémon Center's theme in (DP)Pt :D

I only ever noticed it while in a Pokemon Centre. Isn't much of a loss really.
The fact that no one mentioned the lack of nighttime themes earlier just shows how forgettable and unnecessary they are.

The game already has 171 tracks, and that's not including the 99 tracks created for the GB Player. I don't think anyone can *really* complain about there not being any nighttime themes.
That in reality is enough music, now imagine that all 270 songs had night versions or at least the 250. That would mean 500 pieces in total. No way would that be capable.

Its basically the music playing slower. GB Player > that.

I'd argue with that. Route 229's nighttime theme is almost completely different from its daytime theme.

Still, the utter awesomity of the normal themes in HGSS, coupled with the option of using the GB Player to hear the retro Game Boy tunes, far outweighs any regrets I might have had about the lack of nighttime variations on the music.

GB Player > that.

This.

The GB Player is honestly one of the best things ever. I never noticed night time themes, nor do I care. Constant old school music > slightly altered regular music only at a specific time.

I don't ever play with the sound on anyway, so I'm not too woried. Although when I first got Pearl I walked around with the headphones plugged in so I wouldn't anoy my family, which I guess is the reason why I don't play with it on anyway.

Even without night themes, HGSS seem to have alot of cool sound effects, like the background sound of the grass/water and stuff (+ GB Player). Night themes would be cool, but there's alot on this game already.

I have to double check this but I'm sure the wild battle music in the original GSC had a night and day tune from when I played them last time.

...this was GSC. A Game Boy Color game. 8-bit system. The battle theme was the same day or night. It depended if you were in Kanto or Johto, though.

...this was GSC. A Game Boy Color game. 8-bit system. The battle theme was the same day or night. It depended if you were in Kanto or Johto, though.
The Johto wild battle theme varied depending on whether it was day or night. I would think that it would have been pretty hard to miss.

Here's proof.

The Johto wild battle theme varied depending on whether it was day or night. I would think that it would have been pretty hard to miss.

Here's proof.

Yep that's it. I even went to double check in my old gold version a little earlier and recorded them so I can hear both day and night side by side.XD
The night tune is slightly lower than the day one in the wild battle.

Last edited:
Probably because of the sheer amount of memory they're already using in the games... i mean, two continents? in better graphics than platinum? with pkmn following you around? They probably used every last byte of memory, and then said... *Crap! What about the night tunes?*

They probably used every last byte of memory, and then said... *Crap! What about the night tunes?*
The game card has a size of 128MB, while the files themselves only go up to 118MB. As far as I can tell, all the sound files are compressed into one file of roughly 8.5MB. For the record, there are DS games that use 256MB cards.

I can think of much better things to fit into the game than additional music themes (that department certainly isn't lacking), but suffice to say that Game Freak did not exhaust the DS' capacity in any regard.

I can think of much better things to fit into the game than additional music themes (that department certainly isn't lacking), but suffice to say that Game Freak did not exhaust the DS' capacity in any regard.

Like the Sevii Islands League and Champion Leaf

But what you said is true. The DS still had many more capabilities.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom