• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why not a Professor Oak spin-off?

DasManiac

The Charming Fool
Reaction score
So lately I've been thinking that there should be a spin-off about a younger Professor Oak. It's obvious that he was a trainer at some point as he created The Pokedex. It would focus on Professor Oak's travels and adventures as a trainer presumably with Agatha as well. Yes, the anime never mentioned that they knew one another but I'd still love to see a show with them in their younger days. Then there's Professor Rowan and again his relationship was only in the games but it's still worth bringing up on TV. So Pokemon: The Origin has been a success in Japan and that's a prequel, then why not a series with Professor Oak? Am I crazy or does anyone else think it would be really cool? Lastly, why hasn't this been done yet? It's been 15 years and I'd still love to find out who Professor Oak is. As of now, He's just sort of a wacky old man that has no visible means of financial support yet can still travel all around the world.

Origin isn't a prequel - it was based on the Red and Green games, and has nothing to do with the anime currently running.

However, to answer the thread title, I am interested in a Prof Oak spin-off. There had been fan-made games using the character Sammy from the fourth movie (who is assumed to be Oak from 40 years ago), and it might offer a new perspective.
For instance, during the times Oak was a kid, Pokeballs were more like crafted nutshells, and you had to open them before sending out your pokemon. We get to see how the pokemon world was like before technology was developed, and maybe if they show Oak in his teens, we might also see some of the other characters such as a young Agatha and/or young Giovanni

2BBAhPx.jpg

Pocket Monsters Sepia and Pocket Monsters Monochrome!

In all seriousness, they'd have to come up with two separate stories. The characters from the games and the characters from the anime usually aren't tied down by the same background story.

There's some things about the anime version of the character found in Shudo's novels that applies to how the anime was originally constructed. I have no idea if it still applies to the current series (it most likely doesn't because they clearly no longer give a shit):

"Over a hundred years ago, there was one notable trainer from the town - Ookido Masara, who made it to the 931st spot in the charts, the best placing from their town ever. He was honored as a hero, and the town was renamed "Masara Town," having been called "Masshiro Town" previously.
The Ookido family is now famous in Masara Town; Professor Ookido Yukinari is Ookido Masara's great-great-grandson. Yukinari also has two older brothers, the oldest of whom is the mayor of Masara Town; the middle brother was (past tense??) the town's postmaster.
"

I don't think The Origin is a prequel...

Perhaps everyone in the Pokemon world suffers from the Nurse Joy Syndrome.

amOIbTc.jpg

Because it wouldn't get as much attention if it was about Oak. That's how I see it. I mean, Red is the iconic symbol of Pokemon in terms of trainers. Oak? Not so much.

Eh, I'd rather have one about Handsome as he travels the world solving crimes and busting up villains teams

I agree with you completely. He's the father of pokemon, Ash's mentor and first guide and yet we know practically nothing about him. He not only was pretty much the nicest and most present fatherly-figure that Ash had, but also the container of desirable pokemon information. I don't think they have actually wasted a character like him- a part of me rathers think that something unespected will happen. That we'll see how Ash gets a message from a frightned, sweated and slightly bruised face calling for help from under a table in the Rocket headquarters; while the place crumbles; saying that he's Professor Oak, who had been forced by Giovanni to work on something secret for years- who knows, perhaps tracking Pokemon's original birthplace. (I couldn't think of anyone else worthy or quialified enough to be given the "adress" of their hometown) Hopes up.
An entire side-series would be a great idea- but sadly, i think that they would make such an anime once Pokemon has actually finished (so as not to take protagonysm from Pokemon) sigh...

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom