• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Why the hate for Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Why do some people say that these games are just copy and paste versions of the gen 4 games? They must really hate Fire Red and Leaf Green then, since those are copy and paste versions of the Gen 1 games. Same with the Gen 3 Remakes to an extent; Those are mostly a copy and paste version of the Gen 3 games. Even the Gen 2 remakes.

Partly, BD/SP have been criticized for claiming to be modern remakes but being selective with what that means; we're still stuck with the modern Exp system and overpowered Affection mechanics, but they did remove some of good Sw/Sh quality of life enhancements and every later generation Pokémon.
Plus things like Amity Square still only letting you use a small subset of Pokémon despite having following sprites for everything.

While I have not played the game myself yet it seems to have the same complaints as every game since X/Y. Lack of difficulty, affection mechanics, and Exp Share seem to be the main complaints amongst people who have played the game.

So, I've actually stalled on my Shining Pearl playthrough after getting Strength and passing through Mt Coronet, and I've gone back to finishing my Sword playthrough. Sinnoh's Gym Leaders are much improved and the Elite Four is reportedly one of the hardest to date, but going through the second half of Galar really threw the quality of Trainers and wild encounters into relief. Sinnoh's Trainers are so weak and use such boring teams (like, the four-Geodude thing that we should have seen the last of in the late 90s) that minute-by-minute gameplay doesn't engage me much at all, and it's not helped by the Exp. Share making a mockery of the level curve. Take Maylene's Gym; there's six Machoke across four Trainers:

1641231620003.png

My second gripe is a highly subjective one, and that's the fact that I simply don't like many of the native Sinnoh species to begin with. Bidoof, Burmy, Budew, Buneary and their ilk never felt threatening enough to create a sense of trepidation, and it means that wild encounters are similarly unenthralling. I think that's the nub of why I'm struggling - BDSP just don't feel very exciting to play.

Last edited:
I think Arlo explained it very well on this video. It doesn't matter if the game was made by another company, if it was made for kids or if it was limited by time constraints, it shouldn't regress a franchise so much that it's barely different from how things were 15 or 25 years ago, to the point of making graphics and story as basic as they were back then. There were technological limits then, and now that the sky's the limit, they choose...square world chibis without elements the original makers of the game corrected in 2008.

Everything has consequences. It's fine if you like the game, but keep in mind that doing it turns you, in the eyes of the company, into a potential buyer of a future game with the same or even less ambitions, and that's another reason to dislike it. I'm sure BDSP wouldn't exist if Let's go had been a failure.

Look, I get complaining about BDSP's graphics, but If you think BDSP's graphics are as basic as DP's, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to you. one of them is literally N64 quality 3D backdrops with sprites, lol

I mean, they are better than DP's but only slightly, and the console that BDSP is on is capable of much, much, MUCH higher quality graphics. After 15 years and 2 console generations that are major leaps from the console the original was on, you'd expect more than this.

I mean, they are better than DP's but only slightly, and the console that BDSP is on is capable of much, much, MUCH higher quality graphics. After 15 years and 2 console generations that are major leaps from the console the original was on, you'd expect more than this.

And for nearly twice the price of the original D/P games, with that. It's simply inexcusable.

i think the lesson some of us can agree on is that being too faithful has its consequences. there's some deviation, sure (the aforementioned elite four/gym leader rematches are one, pokemon hideaways are another), but i find those deviations aren't quite enough to carry the game or make them exciting either on their own or even altogether with the rest of the game, which is admittedly... divisive depending on how you feel about the rest of vanilla d/p's content.

i love sinnoh, but i can't honest to goodness say that these remakes really have done the region justice in a similar fashion that oras did for r/s and hgss did for g/s. it's such a shame that these are such anticipated remakes and while they're okay, they're just that when they can be so much more.

then again, i do wonder if them being more would've perhaps potentially overshadowed L:A. food for thought and all.

Truthfully, I think the games are suffering somewhat from there not being a full handheld Nintendo console this generation with the Switch being a hybrid but priced as a mainline console; all these gen 9 Pokémon games feel like they have content more fitting to a handheld price range.

Truthfully, I think the games are suffering somewhat from there not being a full handheld Nintendo console this generation with the Switch being a hybrid but priced as a mainline console; all these gen 9 Pokémon games feel like they have content more fitting to a handheld price range.

No, I think Nintendo was absolutely justified in not having an additional handheld, there's little point. The gap in performance between handhelds and home consoles has narrowed considerably, why bother asking fans to spend an additional $100-$200 on hardware and for Nintendo to split up their lineup yet again if they have such similar performance? It's very economical for both gamers and developers to combine them into one console. If Game Freak can't create the content needed to justify a $60 price range, that's their own fault. They can either adapt or sell it for less than $60.

No, I think Nintendo was absolutely justified in not having an additional handheld, there's little point. The gap in performance between handhelds and home consoles has narrowed considerably, why bother asking fans to spend an additional $100-$200 on hardware and for Nintendo to split up their lineup yet again if they have such similar performance? It's very economical for both gamers and developers to combine them into one console. If Game Freak can't create the content needed to justify a $60 price range, that's their own fault. They can either adapt or sell it for less than $60.
Nowhere in my post did I say Nintendo should have made a new handheld or blamed them; I'm simply saying I think Pokémon has struggled to make the jump to home console content levels.

Nowhere in my post did I say Nintendo should have made a new handheld or blamed them; I'm simply saying I think Pokémon has struggled to make the jump to home console content levels.

Saying the games are suffering from there not being a dedicated handheld implies that, poor choice of words there if you want to say it's Pokemon's fault.

The thing about Pokemon remakes is they generally tend to take on the traits of the generation they are in, along with the Pokemon and other stuff. ORAS took on the traits of XY. HGSS took on the traits of Diamond and Pearl. FRLG is done in the style of RS.

There is nothing of Sword and Shield in BDSP.

Quite frankly... If I was given a choice between this and Pokemon Platinum, I would always choose Platinum over this.

Much less hate and more disappointment. I already said this in another thread but one of my main gripes is that all it did was catch up with Platinum.

Sure, for someone that never played any of the Sinnoh games, this is fine for someone that wants to experience Sinnoh. But someone like me that waited 15 years and has a copy of Platinum, i see literally no reason to shell out 60 bucks for it when i can already just play Platinum. There's nothing in this remake that makes me want to play it over that game.

Last edited:
Much less hate and more disappointment. I already said this in another thread but one of my main gripes is that all it did was catch up with Platinum.

Sure, for someone that never played any of the Sinnoh games, this is fine for someone that wants to experience Sinnoh. But someone like me that waited 15 years and has a copy of Platinum, i see literally no reason to shell out 60 bucks for it when i can already just play Platinum. There's nothing in this remake that makes me want to play it over that game
There are also people who have not played a Sinnoh game in forever.

Back
Top Bottom