• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why the hate for Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Kingdra was post game, you are misremembering. Also, they shouldn't try to rely on legendaries either because legendaries are late game and generally banned from battle facilities and competitive. You also can't really import from Bank/Home anymore because of Dexit, so if they don't provide the variety themselves in the main game, you'll often just not have it period. Home also isn't even available for BDSP yet, so you're stuck with whatever the game decides to give you, which until post game is Garchomp, Altaria, and Dialga/Palkia. Not enough for a full team by any means.
once home support rolls out, you'll be able to bring in a full team of dragons. Dragonite, Flygon, Salamence, Altaria, Kingdra and Garchomp are all in the game. monotype runs aren't how the game is supposed to be played anyway.

once home support rolls out, you'll be able to bring in a full team of dragons. Dragonite, Flygon, Salamence, Altaria, Kingdra and Garchomp are all in the game. monotype runs aren't how the game is supposed to be played anyway.

The game is supposed to be designed in a way so you can use whatever team you want, so if someone wants to do a monotype run to use their favorite type or to challenge themselves, the game should be facilitating that. You really shouldn't need to wait for post game or Home support for that either, the game should really be giving you those options out of the box.

im glad im not the only one who felt let down by these remakes. i havent even finished pearl...
Same. My Diamond copy still has the team at Veilstone, with everyone already at level 30 before we've even set foot inside the Gym. It's the first mainline Pokémon game I have yet to finish/didn't beat around release.

hi, so i made an account on bulbagarden for the first time Ever just to make a comment on this post, just because id like to get my thoughts on the matter.

for the record also, i cant play the remakes (i dont own any sort of modern console aside from like... i dont know, the wii still counts?) but i do think that ive garnered enough information to have a somewhat decent opinion on the game and from what ive seen... i think this games main problem is just that it didnt really need to exist in the first place? at least, not in the state its in. im not saying its a bad game or anything, ive seen a LOT of people say they like it and thats great! but i think bdsp has a very fundamental problem in that its just completely unnecessary for the franchise. for the record, so that it doesnt seem like im being too mean to it, this is my thoughts on ORAS, too.

ive seen a few people (like one or two) compare it to frlg because theyre both the most underwhelming remakes in the series and while i can understand the sentiment i dont think its particularly fair. correct me if im wrong, but one of the main reasons for frlg existing in the first place is because gamefreak didnt add compatibility for rse and rby/gsc players to trade right from the get go. it was basically mostly just made to make trading between generations more simpler (they just straight up kind of shove the trading subplot into your face after all). besides, the original rby games are an infamously janky mess, and the difference between the originals and the brand new gameboy advance games are like night... and the sun. plus frlg DID add new content, even if it was mostly on the post game side of things. it did try to innovate somewhat, meanwhile bdsp making their goal 'be as faithful to the originals as possible' kinda just shot itself in the foot.

that being because dppt didnt NEED remakes. theyd be nice, of course, i was also hoping we'd get to see the distortion world in glorious swsh 3d, but all the mainline DS games hold up very well on their own. aside from just being slow (also hm fog is a thing), id say that the original gen 4 games arent really dated. neither are rse, personally, which is why i dont really like ORAS, but i can see why people would think the gameboy games were more deserving of remakes. of course, i think the original gen 4 games (im gonna alternate between original gen 4 games and dppt, sorry) hold up well on their own, but thats because they were made already thinking of the limitations of the ds, take as much advantage as possible of it, and because of that they look good. so translating them into 3d the way bdsp did, especially with the whole 'staying faithful to the originals' thing...

i think thats probably the main reason why the dppt remakes ended up being so... underwhelming, even if it was a financial success. they didnt need to exist, but gamefreak decided to put them into this world anyway, except instead of taking advantage of the switchs capabilities, like how dppt took advantage of the ds's capabilities, they just limited themselves for no real reason? meanwhile all the other remakes (yes including frlg) tried their damn hardest to work well in their relatively limited system (well, maybe not oras very much, the chibi models still underwhelm me a bit.) i think itd be erroneous to say that bdsp is horrible, or a failure, or a mistake, or whatever, because its literally JUST the gen 4 originals but in 3d, but also thats like... kind of why theyre so underwhelming? its like the game invented its own paradox, or something.

it also doesnt help that it was released only a few months before pla, and then a month later we got the new gen 9 announcement, and the game also basically shipped at launch only half-complete and needed its other half to be released as a day one patch, and, and, and.... its just very unfortunate. i wish this game couldve been just a bit better. the chibis wouldnt have been so bad then.

the only good thing i can really take out of this is that its one of the few pokemon games ive seen lately that manage to have both a healthy hatedom and fandom. so far i havent really seen anyone get up each others throats over thinking the chibis look good or bad, so far its all been pretty civil. or maybe i just dont hang out around the fandom that much. (its a conscious decision.)

(oops, this turned out very long, sorry... feel free to skip if youd like, i just wanted to add my two cents on this)

I actually agree with you. I don’t really like when games get remade for the sake of remaking games, even if they add some fun stuff. I would much rather they focus on creating newer, better games than just remaking games I played when I was 12 in perpetuity

I don’t really like when games get remade for the sake of remaking games, even if they add some fun stuff. I would much rather they focus on creating newer, better games than just remaking games I played when I was 12 in perpetuity
Unfornutately this trend will never end because it makes money since it's built on nostalgia and that sells.

I'm also of the opinion that remakes should have stopped a long while ago, maybe at ORAS (and that's debatable). FRLG so far are the only ones that really deserved to be made as it served several purposes (bringing back pokemon that were lost with the cut between Gen 2 and 3 and really make Gen 1 more playable and less broken for starters). HGSS is debatable, but i can i see it given that the originals were made for the Gameboy Color. ORAS was already stretching it, but RSE were made pre-physical/special split, so i can see that being a valid reason to bring it up to modern mechanics.

But now it just looks contrived because Gen 4 can be seen as the foundation for modern pokemon games, so remakes don't really do anything mechanic wise besides some QoL changes. It's gonna look even more forced when it starts to get to Gen 6.

i genuinely dont think theyre going to make gen 6 remakes because if gen 4 and gen 5 dont need it, gen 6 and beyond REALLY dont need it. maybe im just being too optimistic, but i think even game freak knows that the 3d mainlines still look great. yes, the gen 6 chibis are offputting, but they dont ruin the game, and they all still look great.

of course, some people will disagree with me. but despite dppt and bwbw2 still looking great, they have nothing with the graphical capabilities of the new 3d mainlines. from a technical standpoint, that is. the fact they could very much remake gen 5 is definetly worrying though.

like, okay, SOME stuff from gen 4 looks kinda odd. but gen 5? especially bw2? those fully animated sprites (both pokemon and trainer) are still GORGEOUS to look at. im still fascinated they did that in the gen 5 games. not to mention all the other gameplay features, of course. if theres any game that REALLY doesnt need any sort of remake, not even a 'remaster' (like how bdsp looks right now), its gen 5. and its the next in the line up.... im hoping bdsp really was just the odd one out, and if they remake gen 5, they learn their lesson and go back to putting more effort into it. bdsp and gen 4 are essentially just on the same level in different mediums. but if they pull a bdsp on the very possible bw remakes... im straight up just labeling it as a downgrade.

I guess for me it’s like, no other series is constantly expected to remake older games. I don’t feel like they should be beholden to that just because it’s something they’ve done in the past—especially if these are the results we’re getting

I don't think the Remakes are just nostalgia but also for new fans who didn't get to play the original before; older video games are often much harder to experience than older films or books.

Black/White costs almost $100 on Amazon right now. Black 2? Over 1,000.
you could very much just emulate the games though. pretty sure theres a ton of emulators for mobile, and i know its the most popular games market right now.

i completely understand that some people just dont want games to be pirated EVER, but some people just cant afford video games and need an easy way out to experience them. this is a whole nother topic, but i think thats like... the easiest solution. just emulate them. emulation isnt even illegal, because its actually used for game preservation, so.

I don't think the Remakes are just nostalgia but also for new fans who didn't get to play the original before; older video games are often much harder to experience than older films or books.

Black/White costs almost $100 on Amazon right now. Black 2? Over 1,000.
If we used this logic for everything, then tons of more games would get remakes, but that doesn't happen. The SNES for example is filled with RPGs that have either never been ported or remade for anything else or flat out never left Japan.

I don't think Pokemon can constantly use this excuse to just pump out remakes, specially when you can just port the originals to things like Virtual Console (from now on is even less of an excuse because none of the games that haven't been remade use gimmicks tied to specific consoles since Gen 5 hardly uses any, if at all).

If we used this logic for everything, then tons of more games would get remakes, but that doesn't happen.
Highly popular games do usually get remade unless there's licensing issues. Nintendo has been going through their Zelda backlog, Mario's NES/SNES ones got remade in the GBA era, the earlier Final Fantasy games keep getting remade, Dragon Quest has gotten up to remakes for 8 (and the first four or so have a bunch of remakes in general).

They really should be doing straight ports if they just want the original games with little to no upgrades, but Nintendo is partly responsible for that not happening because they're extremely sluggish when it comes to getting their back catalogue available. I mean the Switch has been out for 5 years and we're just getting N64 games in NSO and we still don't have GB games? They've really dropped the ball there.

I think part of the reason BDSP exists the way it does is because they really want to do things more like LA, but they can't just do that by itself because then younger players will have no frame of reference for where games like PLA come from so they release a game like BDSP alongside it. Hence they have a copy/paste remake so people know what the original was like before implementing more large scale overhauls in LA.

And regarding potential XY remakes in the future, usually when it comes time to remake 3D games (especially more modern 3D games), they'll opt for remasters, not remakes. They've rarely done complete overhauls and massive upgrades on full 3D games (off the top of my head, the only example I can think of is Super Mario 64 DS) and instead just do minor graphical touchups and maybe a new features or two, but otherwise leave the original game largely unchanged. I suspect the same may happen for XY, much to the dismay of people that have been waiting since 2015 for a "Z" type of experience but hopefully Game Freak will give us XY's LA to compensate for that.

we'll see whether LA becomes a series. we never got a second set of let's go games after all, despite those doing very well commercially.

By "XY's LA" I don't necessarily mean a Legends Zygarde, I mean a companion game that's more of a reimagining of Kalos to contrast the faithful recreation of the original in a remake/remaster of XY. It could be a Legends Zygarde, it could be an XY2, it could be something completely different, but I think the strategy of having both a faithful remake/remaster alongside a reimagining like they tried with BDSP/LA might work going forward and that aspect of it might continue with them experimenting with different ways to reimagine old regions.

I've felt like ever since BW2, they really should've pushed for more reimaginings of old regions. Especially for older, more archaically designed regions like Kanto and Johto which could use massive facelifts to even hold a candle to some of the more modern experiences we've been getting. LA kind of feels like the spiritual successor to BW2 in the sense that it's even more bold and innovative when it comes to overhauling the experience in even more drastic ways, and that's part of what makes both games so exciting. I hope LA becomes a trend that makes experiences like this more common. If that means we get more remaster-type experiences to allow younger players that didn't have the opportunity to play the original an entry point, I'd consider that more than acceptable a sacrifice as LA is closer to what I really wanted a DP remake to be like.

Really the only thing that I wish LA did better in terms of serving as the DP reimagining I wanted is I wish they would've been less conservative with the Dex. They did add a handful of extra Pokemon (mainly Hisuian forms) and they were a bit more liberal when it came to including newer Pokemon, but they still didn't 100% fix the dex variety issues, especially when it comes to the lack of Dragons. Garchomp and Hisuian Goodra being the only non-legendary Dragons is still downright terrible variety (why was Altaria one of the few Sinnoh Dex Pokemon cut again?) and I wish they'd have thrown in a bit more Pokemon rounding it out to more the 275-300 range. Other than that it's exactly what I wanted.

Last edited:
LGPE was definitely the opportunity to reimagine Kanto on a much grander scale, and to be fair, that's what I thought it would be like when it was first announced. Something that followed the recipe for modern Pokémon regions that borrowed heavily on the real-life Kanto region (landmarks, notable sites, Tokyo Tower lol) with an original storyline that paid homage to the original Kanto games but felt like something new. It would still have the bones of the the original games (and Yellow of course), but would re-introduce the Kanto region to newer fans as well. But I remember seeing, to be quite frank, ridiculous, pushback about changing games "too much" and not being "faithful" from certain fans. Maybe that's why they didn't go that route. Personally, I would've loved this.

But bringing this back to BDSP, I think the games were just mostly forgettable. It suffered the most from trying to be faithful to the source and didn't offer anything new, which contributed it to being all but eclipsed by Legends Arceus.

Last edited:
i'd probably have liked LGPE more if they had included the changes from FRLG, like the Sevii Islands. y'know, don't just ditch improvements for the sake of being faithful. i'd probs still prefer FRLG though, as i wasn't too fond of the catching mechanics or the permanent exp share

Nintendo has been going through their Zelda backlog,
Zelda has gotten three remakes (less than one compared to Pokemon and the series is like 10 years older than Pokemon), everything else has either been ports or remasters.

Mario's NES/SNES one got remade in the GBA era
They were more like ports since they were based on Super Mario All Stars for the SNES. Only really 3 got a remake but again, made in the same style as the Super Mario All Star games.

the earlier Final Fantasy games keep getting remade
Square Enix is just as guilty as Gamefreak in thinking they need to remake everything.
Dragon Quest has gotten up to remakes for 8 (and the first four or so have a bunch of remakes in general)
Most of the remakes of the first three are stuck in Japan (i think 3 got like a GB remake in late 90s and that was the only one released outside of Japan). 4, 5 and 6 did get remakes, but they all deserved it. And not because how pricey they are in the second hand market (and ironically the remakes are pricey now), but because 4 was made for the NES, and 5 and 6 had never left Japan. 7 is an actual remake, but 8 is more like a port than a remake. And again, Square Enix.

Remakes for pokemon games now feel much less about a game deserving it but more because it has become tradition. Which i don't think it's a good thing, made worse when clearly Gamefreak is getting tired of them by outsourcing them and that causing them to be less than spectacular.

And me personally, i'm just sick of remakes in general, not just in Pokemon.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom